SO or Titanium Goat stove

cmahoney

WKR
Trying to decide weather to go with a WiFi or Seek Outside Stove. I have stayed in a buddies tent with the WiFi but have never used the seek outside

The WiFi is a little lighter and cheaper. Hoping to get some insight

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

state637

WKR
I run the SO medium stove (about 3#) and seems to be well built. Easy to put together and adjusting the legs to level it out isn't too bad. No experience with the Goat Stove.

BCSojourner

Lil-Rokslider
I have a SO XL titanium stove with the stand that they sell as an accessory which greatly enhances stability, height and protection under the stove. This setup has worked well in my 12-man tipi in the backcountry but I am purchasing a new stainless steel Gstove to pack in on my llamas (easier setup and more versatile for cooking, etc.). Will be selling my SO setup after the holidays. For light-weight setups the SO stoves are great - take a little time to set up with threaded rods, wingnuts, etc but pretty fool-proof and simple to operate.

Years ago before I purchased my first tipi and stove, I used a buddies TiGoat set up. My biggest issue with his stove was that the door was small and I wasn’t able to get any size-able pieces of wood in it, so it required continuous feeding/stoking. When I bought my SO, door size was my main consideration. I ended up with a Seek XL titanium, and it’s worked out nicely for me.

Last edited:
OP
cmahoney

cmahoney

WKR
Years ago before I purchased my first tipi and stove, I used a buddies TiGoat set up. My biggest issue with his stove was that the door was small and I wasn’t able to get any size-able pieced wood in it, so it required continuous feeding/stoking. When I bought my SO, door size was my main consideration. I ended up with a Seek XL titanium, and it’s worked out nicely for me.

Was that the only issue you saw with the at goat compared to the SO? I might sent t goat an email and see if they would do a custom door with a bigger opening. May not work because of the semi round body. The ability to add bigger logs for the burn time would be a deal breaker for me, even if it meant packing a little heavier stove.

Was that the only issue you saw with the at goat compared to the SO? I might sent t goat an email and see if they would do a custom door with a bigger opening. May not work because of the semi round body. The ability to add bigger logs for the burn time would be a deal breaker for me, even if it meant packing a little heavier stove.

Yeah, that was the only issue I had. That was about 6 years ago and I really haven’t looked at all the options that may be available today. I would definitely take a look at everything out there, including what Ed T is offering. Anyway, just my .02

I have the Large SO Stove. I like the larger door opening and the damper system that’s a separate, fixed piece. I can put 12”+ inch long, thick pieces of wood in mine with no issues. The bag with dividers and holders for the rods and rings is a nice touch too.

The WiFi looks interesting though with the shape and construction. How easy was it to install the damper flap in the stove pipe? And did you notice that the door opening was small when feeding the fire? If not, then the WiFi might be a good option.

AKDoc

WKR
I have a 4 person SO tipi and a medium SO titanium stove. For two people it is a great combo for me when river pack-rafting for a week. The stove is extremely light and packs down well. Putting it up is no problem, and the door is plenty large for me to feed wood. I'm real pleased with it.

slatty

WKR
I don't have experience with the ti goat stoves but i'm very happy with my SO large that I have in my cimarron. When I was deciding, door size was the main issue for me, it seemed that the wifi had a very small door. I've had issues with my spark arrestor getting clogged with creosote on the SO stove, but I assume this is universal to all stoves if you only find crappy wood. SO sells a "spark arrestor ultra" which seems to fix this problem, which I now have but haven't had a chance to use yet.

Another happy SO (an XL in a 8 man tipi) stove owner. I'm sure the wifi is a quality stove as well. We pack a Bob Dustrude bow saw with us, so we take full advantage of the big door on the SO feeding it some pretty decent sized chunks of wood.

OP
cmahoney

cmahoney

WKR
Thanks guys, I have been looking at both a bunch on line. The SO’s bigger door sells it for me. It also looks just more solid all around. The damper looks particularly better. I’ll be purchasing a large SO soon.

I’ve been happy with my large SO stove as well. Flat top is great for warming water or food and packs down to a fairly low profile. I’m still trying to learn how to figure out how to effectively damper it and get good long burn but keeps my Hudson tipi toasty warm

Not to mention cooking goat tenderloin on.
7227607245234a98cd4639faa6cb9fc7.jpg

I'd really like to see or try a Seek Outside Ti stove but that's not an option, short of buying one. They look great. I currently use a Ti Goat WiFi and have basically no complaints on it. The door size (medium stove) is more than adequate for me. I'm feeding wood which is typically no bigger diameter than 2-1/2" and the opening is far beyond big enough for that. The door removes completely for loading which is nice and allows unimpeded access from either side of the stove. The stove is sturdy and can hold a gallon pot easily. I think it's the easiest stove to assemble I've ever owned. Mine hasn't warped any and stays in really good shape. I wish it had more of an ability to restrict air flow/draft but it's designed to maintain a constant flow of air to the interior. The good side of this is fewer starved fires and flameouts, while the downside is no real extended burn time. I see no downside to having the biggest door possible as long as it doesn't somehow affect the stove's air or performance.