SO trek pole hitch vs carbon pole

id450

WKR
1.5 oz vs 12. Any experience out there with the seek outside hitch working and holding up in a true storm and wind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hwcopley

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve got both from seek that I use in a lbo and they both hold up about the same in the wind. I prefer the hitch, works well and no extra pole to cary

OP
I

id450

WKR
Ok cool. What kind of winds have you had roughly ? Thanks

OOSWLC

FNG
the first time i set up my silex to test it out it was in pretty constant 20-30mph wind. i was in a large back yard... essentially just a big open field with no tree breaks/wind cover at all. i was staked into very very cold soft snow, and had the extra lines from the top staked to the ground as well.

i was really nervous to try out the stove because of how much the wind was ripping. the tarp seemed like it was going to go flying... i left the tarp sitting there for 4-5 hours of constant wind, and there was no sign that it was going to budge- so i got the stove going, and the tent stayed up another 4-5 hours from there with no problems at all.

i've camped in the silex quite a few times now, but never had it in direct wind as bad as that first day. i also have only ever used it with trekking poles. this is my first trekking pole tent, but not my first tarp.

i think the ability to move the trekking pole up or down marginally on one side/the other/both is a pretty important function that you loose with a carbon pole. i think it's a big part of why i've only had good luck with the silex, too.

whether it's because i was on slightly uneven ground, or because the snow started melting, or i needed to get the tension *just right* between stakes- it's pretty great to be able to unlock the trekking pole and slide it up/down and inch or two to get the shelter sitting just right.

OP
I

id450

WKR
the first time i set up my silex to test it out it was in pretty constant 20-30mph wind. i was in a large back yard... essentially just a big open field with no tree breaks/wind cover at all. i was staked into very very cold soft snow, and had the extra lines from the top staked to the ground as well.

i was really nervous to try out the stove because of how much the wind was ripping. the tarp seemed like it was going to go flying... i left the tarp sitting there for 4-5 hours of constant wind, and there was no sign that it was going to budge- so i got the stove going, and the tent stayed up another 4-5 hours from there with no problems at all.

i've camped in the silex quite a few times now, but never had it in direct wind as bad as that first day. i also have only ever used it with trekking poles. this is my first trekking pole tent, but not my first tarp.

i think the ability to move the trekking pole up or down marginally on one side/the other/both is a pretty important function that you loose with a carbon pole. i think it's a big part of why i've only had good luck with the silex, too.

whether it's because i was on slightly uneven ground, or because the snow started melting, or i needed to get the tension *just right* between stakes- it's pretty great to be able to unlock the trekking pole and slide it up/down and inch or two to get the shelter sitting just right.

Great info, thank you

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
The hitch works great and will hold up in bad weather without issue. The downside is if you do not break camp you loose th use of your trekking poles.

OP
I

id450

WKR
The hitch works great and will hold up in bad weather without issue. The downside is if you do not break camp you loose th use of your trekking poles.
yeah thanks for the feedback. i think ill pick up a hitch.

OP
I

id450

WKR
Yeah for sure. I have that baby little saw. I typically leave poles in camp anyway . Or I can always use one of partners . Thanks all.