Someone please explain these detachable magazine options to me

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I’ve noticed some custom actions available nowadays are not compatible with traditional hinged floor plates. This is weird to me. Impact NBK, for example.

1. Why? Why would a manufacturer not offer a BDL style bottom metal? Why are AICS/AW mags so popular? Seems to be a new standard. What is their advantage? I don’t get it. I think they are ugly, feel cheap since most are plastic and they are awkward with the way they hang down.

Reliability, speed, and ease.

2. What is the mechanical difference between AICS and AW magazines? Pros and cons of one over the other?

AICS mags are double stack, single feed. AW are double stack, double feed. AICS is more common and works with more actions. AW is shorter for same capacity and probably (maybe) a bit more reliable in large numbers.

The only advantage a blind mag or floorolate has is aesthetics for some and carry comfor for certain rifles that are balanced a certain way. Every other advantage goes to well done detachable mags and it’s not remotely close.

Hey guys just reading this post, I have a Christensen arms Mesa fft, I believe they take aic mags, so I believe the mdt 3rd mags would work, but what about Hawkins precision hunter mags? Has any one had experience with them, I’m just wanting something flush to the bottom metal rather than a five round.
Thanks

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
Since this came back up, I might as well close the loop. I ended up going with a Hawkins M5 flush mount. Probably won’t use it again. Works fine, but the mag has a sloppy fit that is noisy and annoying. Trying to get used to it. I can’t believe Hawkins, or anyone else, thinks that rattle is acceptable. Nothing on a high dollar rifle, or any rifle, should rattle IMO.

Yes. Which is the only reason why it’s tolerable at all. Just a personal annoyance when empty.
Doesn't it have to have that extra room in order to have the space for the rounds to peek out and feed? I don't get the issue.

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
that’s fine. I don’t need to justify my opinion. I don’t like things that rattle or fit sloppily on a gun and that’s all there is to it. If it doesn’t bother you, great, enjoy your rifle. It bothers me. Nothing functional, just my subjective opinion.

They claim the loose fit is so that it accommodates inletting depths for different stocks and receivers. I get that, I just don’t like it.

bmart2622

WKR
It really pisses me off that I have an expensive truck and the damn thing doesnt run when I dont put fuel in it!!! Its just unacceptable!!!

madcalfe

WKR
terminus makes flush mount mag for M5 inlet. I had to take a file and round the edges off slightly to fit into my bottom metal. works great now and doesn't rattle empty or loaded.

mullmann

Lil-Rokslider
I remember being 14 and fumbling rounds with cold hands while unloading my rifle with BDL. I took my son hunting in 2021 and he is much younger and the BDL was a struggle for him. I am switching the rifles I built the last two years over to Hawkins hunter DBM. Much easier to unload and not dump rounds. I played with the release and I have confidence the mag won’t fall out or accidentally get dropped.