speed or weight?

haeffnkr

Lil-Rokslider
HI,
Trying to learn what is most important, besides placement, for downing a deer?

Is it better say to shoot a faster 120 grain 7-08 bullet vs a heavier slower 160 bullet?

thanks haeffnkr

Jeffro

FNG
There is no right or wrong to answer this question..
Both of those rounds will kill a whitetail as dead as the other.
Your biggest trade off is going to be trajectory over a distance. So much of the "which is better?" is for you to answer based on you hunting scenarios.

jjwise97

FNG
Bullet construction will matter more than either on most cases. A bullet that will retain most of its weight while expanding reliably (like an Accubond or Barnes TTSX) will penetrate better than a traditional cup and core bullet (Rem Cor-Lok, Hornady Interlock, etc). For whitetails, either is sufficient honestly, unless you try to take a steeply quartering shot where you may need a lot of penetration to reach the vitals.

Like Jeffro said, either of those will work just fine for whitetails. Personally I like medium weight bullets that retain most or all of their mass.

sram9102

WKR
You are overthinking things. Basically any bullet is sufficient for whitetails. The softer the better in my experience. I am 100 percent on 130/140/143 elds from a creedmoor exiting and they leave rather large exits and short bloodtrails. I would only use a 223 if it were legal here.

Wildone

FNG
Have been shooting the 120 and 140 Barnes TTSX and TSX in my 7-08 for more than 2 decades. Mountain goats, Caribou, Mule deer, and giant Canadian whitetail. No need to go any heavier. Varget is your friend here.

Goose71

FNG
I’ve been reloading 120nos BT and VARGET for whitetail since I started reloading. Also have used 139-140 bullets also. Can’t over think it find a round that’s accurate out of your 7-08 and put meat on the pole.

jjwise97

FNG
Have been shooting the 120 and 140 Barnes TTSX and TSX in my 7-08 for more than 2 decades. Mountain goats, Caribou, Mule deer, and giant Canadian whitetail. No need to go any heavier. Varget is your friend here.
140 TTSX with Varget was always my favorite until I was stupid and sold my 7-08. Looking for another one now. Still shooting TTSX 150s with Varget in my 308 and absolutely love that loads

Rich M

WKR
It really is all about shot placement. A good shot means a short track and dead deer.

A 120 gr from 7mm08 will kill any deer that walks.

Shaker

FNG
Think you have your answer already... just practice and be confident in the distance you're shooting. Also make sure to sight your gun in with the actual bullets you intend to hunt with if you're a newer shooter.

Ikmclean

Lil-Rokslider
Try a couple bullets and let the gun tell you what it likes, my 7mm-08 likes 131 hammer hunters but hated 139 Hornady cx

Davisjj8

Lil-Rokslider
HI,
Trying to learn what is most important, besides placement, for downing a deer?

Is it better say to shoot a faster 120 grain 7-08 bullet vs a heavier slower 160 bullet?

thanks haeffnkr
I think you should jump on a ballistics calculator and find the right balance. There’s usually a solid middle ground (not always) but usually. Something that maintains velocity better and so it has more ft lbs then a heavier slower round.