Spike camp style - Bag preference?

bowhunter15

Lil-Rokslider
I'm curious for those who typically hunt by hiking in a few miles, set up base camp, and hunt from that camp until you kill or determine you need to move camp... do you prefer a large bag, like an 80L type week-long bag? Or do you prefer a smaller day pack style bag, like a 30-40L plus a big dry bag for camp items on the load shelf?

Historically I've packed everything, including a lightweight, frameless day pack, on a big external frame and only brought the light pack and essentials on the day hunts. Only challenge is that it's not efficient carrying a 6lb frame plus a 3lb day pack. And once you kill, you have to run back to base to get the frame.

So I'm looking at either one of those other two options. Just trying to gather opinions before purchasing a large bag or small bag and dry sack for the load shelf.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I go large. I can pack it better with a more even load distribution up and down. Turtle shelling is just not as efficient. I have my camp in a separate contractor bag that I can pull out and drop, then strap down my bag with essentials to day pack size. Personally not a fan of packing meat on a shelf, more control of the load inside the pack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DaveS

Lil-Rokslider
I've tried a lot different ways including the pack frame with small day pack. I've settled on using a frame with a meat shelf and a 65L - 80L bag depending on the number days. I can fit my gear plus food for a few of days in a 4000 CI (65L) bag but for any longer I need 80L. I put all my gear in the bag and leave the meat shelf for meat. This gives me the flexibility to pack out meat and camp in one load. My 4000 CI bag makes a great day pack and I don't feel the need for a smaller bag even if I'm day hunting from the truck. It is less bulky than some 2000 CI bags.

OP
B

bowhunter15

Lil-Rokslider
Appreciate the input. I ended up ordering an 80L pack. More space than I'd typically need, but I can cinch down the excess fabric, so it will definitely be more versatile in that regard.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk