Split neck

After shooting my last batch of loads I was prepping my brass getting ready to load them again when I came across a split neck. I was getting ready for my 5th load on this case and is the only one of the batch. I’m wondering if I should scrap the rest of this lot or just toss the one.
17d4be1f17ee6599977d599ceb6f0433.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Attachments

• IMG_5120.jpg
    IMG_5120.jpg
    156.1 KB · Views: 14

Ice-kub

Lil-Rokslider
I use a drill with a socket adapter as a shell holder and a little Propane torch. Seems so stretch out life on my 7wsm 18745031_L.jpg

Vern400

WKR
Depending on what kind of brass you're using six reloads is about when some of my case necks start to split in my 308. I push them pretty hard and I do anneal. Actually it's a good end of life failure. After they don't split when you're reloading them. That would obviously change the neck tension

DaveCB

FNG
Hi, my name is Dave. Im new here, and have been reloading and shooting for over 50 years and I am still learning.
I anneal my brass after each firing. I use an annealing machine made by EP integration.
My 243AI Lapua brass has been shot and reloaded about 20 times. so far I have only lost 3 pieces, none to splits.

I just reloaded some 22-250 that I’ve only fired 1 time. One of the necks was split. I loaded them at book max and never saw pressure. So I’m just assuming it was a bad piece of brass. It’ll be interesting to see if anymore split the second firing.

I’m definitely not junking them because of one split neck.

49ereric

WKR
I hold the case with a gloved hand and torch in the other hand over a bucket with water and call ‘em good…

OP
The point of annealing is to soften the neck. Heating it up and then quenching it in water would do the exact opposite thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Harvey_NW

WKR
The point of annealing is to soften the neck. Heating it up and then quenching it in water would do the exact opposite thing.
Two completely different alloys, two completely different processes. The only thing quenching annealed brass does is allows you to pick it up faster without burning your fingers.

49ereric

WKR
Two completely different alloys, two completely different processes. The only thing quenching annealed brass does is allows you to pick it up faster without burning your fingers.
Which is why i drop them in water