Sportsmatch low or medium?

bliner

FNG
I’m helping my 12 yo put together his first big game rifle and am hoping one of you may know what height rings we need. He’s getting a Ruger American g2 in 6.5 CM and a Burris Fullfield II 3-9x40. I’ve read good things about Sportsmatch rings here, so that combined with the price made that choice easy. I’d like to keep the scope as low as possible, but the 2 piece low rings specify up to 32mm objective. It looks like the rail on the rifle is 6” long, so I’m wondering if the objective would clear the rail and allow space without hitting the barrel? I can order low and medium height and then return whichever we don’t use, but would like to avoid the hassle if anyone here knows the answer. Thanks in advance for any help!

I've not seen anyone here discuss using sportsmatch picatinny rings. Further, I don't even see low picatinny rings listed on their website?

Edit to add: Whether an objective will clear the front of a rail is highly dependent on a given scopes physical attributes, eye relief, and how far forward an individual's eye lands on the stock when shouldered unless a scope is mounted high enough that the objective end cant hit the rail.

Last edited:
OP
B

bliner

FNG
I've not seen anyone here discuss using sportsmatch picatinny rings. Further, I don't even see low picatinny rings listed on their website?

Edit to add: Whether an objective will clear the front of a rail is highly dependent on a given scopes physical attributes, eye relief, and how far forward an individual's eye lands on the stock when shouldered unless a scope is mounted high enough that the objective end cant hit the rail.

Thanks for pointing that out Wind Gypsy, they are weaver mount unless you get the adapter which will raise them too high anyway… not sure how I missed that. Any budget recommendations for decent Picatinny rings? I have Talleys on my Tikka and they’ve been good, is it safe to assume their picatinney rings are good as well?

Don't know much about budget ring options. The only "budget" rings talley makes I think is the ultralight one piece rings, their pic rings are expensive. This seems like a pretty good mid-level price on these though:
Leupold, warne, and others make less expensive options too.

Dont get vertically split rings.

FacePlant

FNG
2AF90D22-B42A-4D5F-8F8B-F75CC001E451.jpeg

This is a 42mm objective fullfield E1 in sportsmatch TO54c rings on a G1 predator rifle. It has .340 clearance with the barrel at its closest point.

Last edited:

SDHNTR

WKR
Thanks for pointing that out Wind Gypsy, they are weaver mount unless you get the adapter which will raise them too high anyway… not sure how I missed that. Any budget recommendations for decent Picatinny rings? I have Talleys on my Tikka and they’ve been good, is it safe to assume their picatinney rings are good as well?
Swfa rings. But to answer your question, Talley’s pic rings are certainly better than their lightweight alloy mounts or their standard vertical rings.

OP
B

bliner

FNG
Don't know much about budget ring options. The only "budget" rings talley makes I think is the ultralight one piece rings, their pic rings are expensive. This seems like a pretty good mid-level price on these though:
Leupold, warne, and others make less expensive options too.

Dont get vertically split rings.
That’s a pretty good sale, thanks Wind Gypsy.
Swfa rings. But to answer your question, Talley’s pic rings are certainly better than their lightweight alloy mounts or their standard vertical rings.
Price on those is good too, thanks sdhntr.

FacePlant

FNG
Have you used these much yet Faceplant, and if so have they been solid?
The rings are solid, I’ve never had a reason to question anything I have used from sportsmatch. This rifle doesn’t see a lot of hard use (it’s my teenage daughters) but the to48 and to84 rings on my tikkas have been bombproof.