Spot Hogg Fast Eddie XL double pin mod. - .019" and a .010" pin size

mag1

Lil-Rokslider
Background: I'm in the process of switching from an HHA slider to the spot hogg fast eddie xl. My original thoughts were to buy an XL base, and then add a Trophy ridge Peak 5 pin head, the vertical pins would be nice and reminiscent of the single pin hha. After looking at a number of places for pricing, I ended up getting a double pin. I am mostly a whitetail guy, so a double pin might work very well. I also wanted to try the new ring feature. It was supposed to be 0.019 pins, but they sent me an .010 double pin sight. While I like at least one pin at the .010, my eyes need the .019 as I get older. Ha. After calling, i was told a long story, they didn't have any .019 pin heads in stock, and I could return it. Well, I really didn't want to do that, so, i bought some .019" fiber. Now, to make it work.

Fix:
So, I work at a company with a well stocked machine shop, so I went looking for drill bits between the 0.010" - 0.019". I was able to find 4 between that range, the last one being a couple of thou over the .019". using a pin vice, and taking my time, I worked my way up from the .010 to the final size. I was able to then run the larger .019 fiber for the centered top pin, and still use the .010" for my bottom pin. I don't have the sight set up yet, but hoping to do so in the near future.

I had bought some "Tough Fiber", and after initially installing 4' of it, noticed that it was horrible in the brightness area. I thought of maybe trying the Nanoptics brand, but before buying, I sent them an e-mail. I received a very helpful bit of info.
1) anything over 18" long will only gain you very minimal increases in brightness.
2) when mushrooming the one end so it stays in your pins, do not touch the fiber, just keep your heat source very close to the fiber. If you touch the fiber, it creates tiny bubbles that will cloud the end.

Huge difference in the fiber brightness at redoing the mushroom end.

Anyways, just thought I would share.