Spot Hogg Grinder ?

DaveN85

FNG
Does anyone have any experience with this sight? I am finalizing my first bow and want to put something on there that is rugged enough to withstand hunting abuse for years to come, but simple enough for a novice archer. Any suggestions welcome.

Thanks,

Dave

Zac

WKR
Spot Hogg is great company, however that is the only model I would not purchase. There is no 3rd Axis on that site. You can do your research on this feature if you like, however it is the most critical feature in a site. Many companies have ditched the 1st Axis which is acceptable, but you must have a 3rd. Also when you go to your shop they need to be setting your 3rd Axis at full draw in your hand. Do not settle for anything less.

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
Spot Hogg is great company, however that is the only model I would not purchase. There is no 3rd Axis on that site. You can do your research on this feature if you like, however it is the most critical feature in a site. Many companies have ditched the 1st Axis which is acceptable, but you must have a 3rd. Also when you go to your shop they need to be setting your 3rd Axis at full draw in your hand. Do not settle for anything less.
^^^^^ This

Reactions: Zac
I have a 3-pin hogg-it, bomb proof, third axis regulation and I bought it used very cheap
I guess the grinder is perfect to start with, I prefer hogg-it or hunter

three5x5s

WKR
I have the 5 pin Hogg Its, Love them, as I grow older having the pins a little further from my face helps and the Hogg It give me a little adjustment for that.

I have one and like it, no bells and whistles but a good simple tough sight. Broke a piece on it one time from overtightening something (my fault) and Spot Hogg had me a replacement part in no time, no questions asked.

Is third axis really needed? Some, and most would say yes. BUT........... I didn't see where this guy will be hunting.

Backwoods 40 WT hunt, not needed......... Mountain hunts, shooting out to 30-40 yds tops......... Not needed. Antelope blind hunt........... not needed....... Mule deer out in flat county.......... not needed..................

Mountain hunting steep shots, long shots, probably worth getting.

OP
D

DaveN85

FNG
Is third axis really needed? Some, and most would say yes. BUT........... I didn't see where this guy will be hunting.

Backwoods 40 WT hunt, not needed......... Mountain hunts, shooting out to 30-40 yds tops......... Not needed. Antelope blind hunt........... not needed....... Mule deer out in flat county.......... not needed..................

You bring up some good points, thanks for the input! I will be new to bow hunting but plan on hunting elk and deer in the west.

It is not totally necessary, years ago it was rare to have third axis regulation and we killed animals, but it is advisable for those shots out of the normal that may well happen

Zero pro shops I've been too will let a stranger draw and measure the 3rd for them. That's what the vise and tools are for. That's how you get someone laughed out of 99/100 pro shops. Might be different West of the Rockies I guess.

Trial153

WKR
The only way your setting third axis is at full draw. Otherwise it's all bull shit.

Zac

WKR
Zero pro shops I've been too will let a stranger draw and measure the 3rd for them. That's what the vise and tools are for. That's how you get someone laughed out of 99/100 pro shops. Might be different West of the Rockies I guess.
Wilde Arrow in Utah, as Well as Mendoza's No Limits in Denver both allow this.

Wilde Arrow in Utah, as Well as Mendoza's No Limits in Denver both allow this.
Allow and standard service are a bit different. Same concept of thinking every 'Good Shop' is going to cut and square both ends of every shaft they sell, otherwise they're skimping service. Just like Covey said, it is pretty asinine to expect shops to be doing this sort of anal attention to detail for every customer so they can go shoot 20 yard white tail. The vast majority of people who are going to head into their local archery place and make an ass of themselves to ''full draw 3rd axis check and square both ends of these .003 Gold Tip Hunters'' are going to go shoot 8's in a Hunter class 3D tournament.
The only way your setting third axis is at full draw. Otherwise it's all bull shit.
It is all bullshit. The people who can shoot the difference and will actually need that sort of set up fine tuning will be doing it themselves with their own tools.

Lowdeuce

FNG
If you get one with the micro adjust, make sure to tighten the dial on the adjuster after locking it down, otherwise it will rattle.

I had a Spot Hogg Hunter for a couple of years and loved it. You definitely want the axis adjustments if you plan on shooting up or downhill. For that reason I'd go with the Hunter 3 pin for eastern whitetail woods or the 5 pin for western hunts

I feel like this is probably the most correct answer here. Although, I like the peace of mind of knowing all my stuff is level so I can blace blame upon most of my misses where it belongs.......on myself

I have the Grinder on my Hoyt RX-3. I hunt tree stands in Arkansas, most shots will be at 30 yards or less, and this sight is perfect for me. Tough as nails and simple.