Springfield Waypoint 7PRC

Gingerman

Lil-Rokslider
I'm sorry, I should've been more clear. It rattles in the gun....as in while it is secure, it still makes noise when moving the gun. It's not the magazine making the noise, but its high tolerance/sloppiness between the magazine itself and the gun. Maybe the one we have just has a poorly fitting mag?
Too bad they don't offer an internal mag option. This isn't a PRS comp gun. LOL. I always seem to want to carry right at the mag location too.

I'm sorry, I should've been more clear. It rattles in the gun....as in while it is secure, it still makes noise when moving the gun. It's not the magazine making the noise, but its high tolerance/sloppiness between the magazine itself and the gun. Maybe the one we have just has a poorly fitting mag?
What Gingersnap was suggesting is that with rounds in the magazine and it inserted into the rifle, the mag spring would push the top round against the bottom of the bolt, creating downward pressure on the magazine that might eliminate the rattle.

Lee_R

Lil-Rokslider
What Gingersnap was suggesting is that with rounds in the magazine and it inserted into the rifle, the mag spring would push the top round against the bottom of the bolt, creating downward pressure on the magazine that might eliminate the rattle.
I get that. But what I was trying to say is that it's not the components of the magazine that are rattling, but rather it and the gun are hitting each other due to loose fitting tolerances. Maybe I'm dense, but I don't see how a full mag would tighten the fit between the mag and the gun. The mag actually wiggles when seated.

Nicaburns

Lil-Rokslider
According to Nick at Hawkins Precision, the later versions have been done with tighter magwells… so much so that their flat hunter magazine will not fit without modification. On mine the Pmag does not rattle or shift at all.

Gingerman

Lil-Rokslider
I get that. But what I was trying to say is that it's not the components of the magazine that are rattling, but rather it and the gun are hitting each other due to loose fitting tolerances. Maybe I'm dense, but I don't see how a full mag would tighten the fit between the mag and the gun. The mag actually wiggles when seated.
I wasn't gonna get into the details considering I don't have that gun in hand to see, but typically a loaded mag wobbles much less, if not at all, with loaded rounds. Imagine having an AR15 bolt closed and inserting a 30rnd mag. There is a lot of tension on the top round pressing against bottom of bolt.

j3butch

Lil-Rokslider
have a carbon 6.5CM waypoint that shoots better than me.. It is an overall great rifle setup, but because I was unsure about the 7PRC release I went with Fierce mountain reaper... it is shipping this week.
As an aside.. thanks to Form and all the input from RS members, I am going to top it with a NF..
Did you get your hands on the mountain reaper yet? Starting to look into them in 6.5PRC

I have the same issue. I have the waypoint in .308. I kept thinking it was the magazine but upon really trying to figure it out it’s coming from inside the stock itself it seems like. I love the rifle but that is annoying while hunting.

Welcome to the typical AICS mag setup. One of the reasons I won't use that on a hunting gun. Even if it doesn't rattle with a full mag due to the upward spring pressure, the minute you chamber that first one, it starts rattling again.
I figured this out when I switched over a Tikka to an AICS setup. Took one range session for me to switch to an aluminum bottom metal that uses factory mags.

It is fine for the PRS crowd, but for a hunting rig, I am not a fan at all. The Hawkins Hunter DBM setup looks to be fine, but that would be reserved for a custom build. I am not putting another $300 for bottom metal and mags into a $2000 factory gun,

crgchck

Lil-Rokslider
Agreed! We're gonna die waiting over here. I was waiting to buy the Waypoint in 300 win, but I think the 7 PRC will finally get me to stray to the 7mm world. The balance between ballistics, recoil, accuracy and bullet weight is just too good to ignore.
I love 7mm for all of the above mentioned reasons.. I tried the 6.5 band wagon and the .300… but the recoil of the .300’s over a 7mm is not manageable for me.. my 7mag and .280AI are both phenomenal shooters and recoil is as manageable as any of my 6.5’s.. all my future builds, will be some form of 7mm.. can’t wait for the 7prc

BrentH

WKR
The Hawkins Hunter DBM setup looks to be fine, but that would be reserved for a custom build. I am not putting another $300 for bottom metal and mags into a $2000 factory gun,
Actually, the Hawkins Hunter DBM also rattles when the mag is empty, but I’m usually not carrying my rifle around with an empty mag.

AkRyan

WKR
Does nobody else find the way points to be heavy? Also notice cycling the bolt was more of a "reach" for me vs others.