Standing while glassing

What best describes your glassing scenario.

• Standing with tripod, binos and angled spotter

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sitting with tripod, binos and angled spotter

Votes: 10 37.0%
  • Standing with tripod, binos and straight spotter

Votes: 1 3.7%
  • Sitting with tripod, binos , straight spotter

Votes: 12 44.4%
  • Combination

Votes: 4 14.8%

• Total voters

rhsmith3

FNG
I have a way I like to do things, and it has worked but….

I’m always trying to figure out the best way. I sold my tripods and pan heads and am starting over, just want to hear why people do things the way they do.

Ron.C

Lil-Rokslider
In recent years, my binos are on my tripod more and more and my spotter less. I find sitting to be by far the most comfortable/steady position to glass with both bino(handheld or tripod) or spotter on tripod.

Also prefer a straight spotter. 90% of my spotter useage is duing spring bear. I get as high as I can and glass across/down into large expanses of country. That said, I'd probably prefer an angled spotter if I spent more time low glassing up ( but that's rare for me)

OP
R

rhsmith3

FNG
Why else do you like the straight spotter? I have always leaned towards angled mostly because I can get away with a shorter tripod.

PredatoronthePrairie

Lil-Rokslider
Sit 90 percent of the time. But when I need to, having the ability to stand is money.

Bit of a weight penalty. But worth it for most of my trips that I need a tripod.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I run straight spotter so I don’t have to mess with my tripod to switch. And, I sometimes run both on a bar with them pointing at the same thing.

I am sitting during the day when reallly picking apart each bush and shadow.

I am standing a lot when moving, covering ground, or terrain dictates.

I also shoot off my tripod. But, I worked to get my total weight down, making some compromises. Now I have Sig 10x RF binos, Sig16x IS binos, and Kowa 554. I am only ounces more than my prior set up. The goal was to find a way to keep my Kowa in the bag for more trips.

Matt5266

WKR
Sit 90% of the time. I really only stand when I have too. I find it more comfortable and steadier for me.

I sit 99% of the time and use my binos 99% of the time. The spotter only comes out when I need to verify something that looks like a deer or try to put antlers on a deer that I spot a ways off. I currently have an angled spotting scope but I really do not like it. As herinaz mentioned, it would be a lot easier to switch between binos and spotter if I had a straight spotter.

fshaw

WKR
Hunt dense northeastern forest so nearly all bino work is standing. Don’t own a spotter though one would be handy at the range.

Dmoua

Lil-Rokslider
Sit majority of the time with binos on a tripod. The spotter comes out when I want to film something with it. Still trying to find a scope adapter from Phoneskope that will work with my 10x42 Geovid Pros so I don’t have to pack the spotter.

CMF

WKR
I would think it would vary a lot by species and time of year.
Archery elk
mostly glassing with chest binos standing, scouting or occasionally when hunting 15x binos usually standing on a tripod, no spotter
Elk rifle/muzzy youth hunt
mostly standing, occasionally sitting with 15x on tripod, angle spotter
Recent barbary hunt
mostly sitting with binos on a tripod, angle spotter, moving along ridge standing with binos on tripod

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I would think it would vary a lot by species and time of year.
Archery elk
mostly glassing with chest binos standing, scouting or occasionally when hunting 15x binos usually standing on a tripod, no spotter
Elk rifle/muzzy youth hunt
mostly standing, occasionally sitting with 15x on tripod, angle spotter
Recent barbary hunt
mostly sitting with binos on a tripod, angle spotter, moving along ridge standing with binos on tripod
^^^^that, it depends on the hunt. In AK on the tundra I stood and didn’t need more than 10x. Elk, lots of handheld 10 scanning inside 1000 and 16 on the tripod standing or sitting out to a couple three miles. Coues, sitting/standing with 16 and spotter from the same point, moving 30 to 80 yards at a time to get a new vantage point looking into the shadows.

I run a straight spotter. I am usually seated while "glassing". I am 6'6" so if I am standing I stick out pretty good. My RRS TVC-34L gets tall enough for me to glass standing if I wanted to though.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I run a straight spotter. I am usually seated while "glassing". I am 6'6" so if I am standing I stick out pretty good. My RRS TVC-34L gets tall enough for me to glass standing if I wanted to though.
I am 6’2” and sometimes feel like I stick out too much when standing too. The good thing is, our sitting is almost as high as some standing, lol… more for you.

I spend 90% of my time sitting glassing but my tripod can get long enough for me to stand up fully as a change of pace.

WormSportsman

Lil-Rokslider
Sitting with binos on the tripod is how I glass the majority of the time. Straight spotter only comes out to get closer looks at things that look like a piece of a bedded deer in thick stuff or to verify size of bucks at longer ranges. I used to stand for a lot glassing but that seemed to be more scouting when I was covering a lot of ground looking for animals or in new areas so I could hit a lot of a new drainage. Now most of the time I have A,B and C picked out for glassing locations ahead of time from e-scouting. Then I can go right to that spot, tuck under a tree or in some rocks and glass away and really pick it apart.