Staying healthy as a parent with little kids

Ebbs and flows my man. If you have really been sick since November, there might be something else going on.

We are a family of 5, with 3 under 10. When a sickness goes through us, it will usually take a month. We don't do anything out of the ordinary; multi vitamins, wash their hands, bathe them a few times a week. My wife does keep a concoction of kids medicine on hand....some are the real Tylenol types and a few snake oil types, for the ones that get sympathy sick.

Only thing that popped out to me in your OP, was the 7 hours of sleep for you or the kids?

OP
CaliWoodsman

CaliWoodsman

Lil-Rokslider
Ebbs and flows my man. If you have really been sick since November, there might be something else going on.

We are a family of 5, with 3 under 10. When a sickness goes through us, it will usually take a month. We don't do anything out of the ordinary; multi vitamins, wash their hands, bathe them a few times a week. My wife does keep a concoction of kids medicine on hand....some are the real Tylenol types and a few snake oil types, for the ones that get sympathy sick.

Only thing that popped out to me in your OP, was the 7 hours of sleep for you or the kids?
To clarify, we haven’t been sick non-stop with one thing since November. It’s been one cold or flu bug after another with short breaks in between.

The 7 hours of sleep is for me and my wife. Many times 8 hours. Our kids are usually good for 11+ hours per night.

Fowl Play

WKR
Par for the course bud. It sucks… there’s no getting around it. All my wife and I can do is try not to get sick at the same time so at least one adult can take care of the others. She’ll be the caring mother while I go full Covid protocol (almost lol). Then swap. Will say, buy some tamiflu and stock up. That shit works wonders. As soon as one of the kids catches it, go to the doc immediately and asks for a prescription for them and the entire household. Maybe even ask ahead a time if they will do that. If they won’t. Get a new doctor. Huge amount of evidence that it can be taken preventatively at half the dose for twice as long as soon as one member of the household gets the flu. It will significantly shorten the symptoms of patient zero, and likely the rest of you will have extremely mild symptoms when you catch it. If taken preventatively. Been doing this for years and it’s magic.

We have a 4 year old and a 7 year old that are sick more than they're well. Same story as OP, they are sick two weeks, healthy one week, rinse and repeat. Wife is the same way. I, on the other hand, never get sick. They'll cough in my face, share my drinks, whatever, I get it maybe 1 out of every 10 times they do. My unpopular advice (at least to my wife) is they aren't robust enough because they don't exercise or eat well. To be fair little kids aren't supposed to "exercise," they're supposed to play and be active, which they do. But my wife doesn't. And my kids eat all the usual kid junk, start their day with waffles and syrup, PB&J for lunch, cheetos, etc. I eat very clean and exercise like a lunatic, and at about to be age 40 I'm the healthiest I've been in my whole adult life per my last blood work. So hard exercise and good nutrition are everything.