Steel on Steel Challenge

Druew368

FNG
Took the day off from work to shoot with my neighbor, steel on steel challenge. Something we do once a year, friendly shootout. Get to try each other's guns too. All in good fun. Nobody keeps score anymore, we simply shoot against ourselves.
Targets were a rack of 6 plates, a tree, and another rack with 2 bad guys underneath. Distances were 7 - 15 yards mostly. Tiny spinners shot at 20 yards.
Tried the neighbor's Colt Detective revolver. Good feel, high quality revolver. 6 shoots too. Smooth trigger. Not used to it. Shot high for me. Shot high left for him. Looking at it the barrel isn't turned enough. He was going to try and fix that.
Prefer the Smith & Wesson Model 60 with 2 1/4 inch barrel. Nicest trigger of just about any J frame. Better than my 640 and more accurate. Shot Federal and Remington 130 gr which were not great. Switched out to 148 gr wadcutters, Federal and Magtech. Consistent results averaging 3 out of 5 plates as fast as I can go.
Glock 42 didn't do as well as other guns. 3 of 6 and 2 of 6 hits were the norm. Glock 43 did great. 6 of 6 mostly and nailed the tiny spinners, 3 of 4. Been working a lot with the G43 and it shows. Mix of Winchester 124 and Federal 147 ball.
Surprise of the day was the Vaquero in 45 LC. This is a 4 3/4 inch that I shoot one handed in a historical duelist stance. 6 of 6 clean runs with Winchester and Magtech Cowboy loads. Fun gun to shoot but will make me flinch after a while.
Shot my neighbor's competition guns, one a heavily modified Glock 17 with compensator, light trigger and red dot. That pistol makes it too easy. Also shot his Glock 43X which I did not care for. He has a G19 on some kind of special frame and a red dot. Was good but his G17 was excellent. Think I missed one target in the whole mag.
Fun day, worn out from gun cleaning. Decided to detail strip the G43 slide since the round count is pushing 2K now. Lotta crap in the extractor and the striker channel. All clean now.
What I left behind today was a Model 60 3 inch. Wouldn't be fair. The Ruger LCP was also left at home. Wasn't up for cleaning that many guns.
I often shoot a 7 or lately 10 yard challenge on paper to test accuracy. Lets me know how well a particular handgun fits and works for me. Steel shooting is combat accuracy. A good follow on practice once good fitting handguns have been identified. The G48 has bubbled up high in both shooting practice venues. Gonna have to see if there is a way to pocket carry it. Still like the Ruger LCP best all around. An easy pistol to carry.

Soj51hopeful

Lil-Rokslider
I don’t shoot anywhere near as much as you but I laughed a little when I saw the 45 LC makes flinching start. I have a ruger super red hawk in 454 casull, also can shoot 45 LC. Shoot the casull a dozen times then put the LC through and it feels like shooting a pop gun. The casull is a real pain in the hand!