Long range shooting challenge from Backfire

4cMuley

Lil-Rokslider
Not a chance. He relies on it for click bait video titles. Even when I want to get pissed off, I avoid the temptation.
The unfortunate thing is there’s probably a fair number of shooter’s especially those relatively new or the many that just don’t know what they don’t know that take Backfire as gospel. “Gotta have that ‘knock-down’ power!” 🤨

That man was popping off that cheekweld like a curious meerkat. Unsure what he was doing with his support hand too. Looks like he was cupping his firing hand with it. I didn't watch the whole thing, but was he not allowed to use a rear bag?

I don't know man I've gone to 1200 on steel (obviously wouldn't shoot at an animal that far) with a Vortex Razor and it was fine.
I trust razors but he had either a venom, diamondback, or strike eagle not 100% which one but those are all known unreliable scopes.

Pleasant sort of blokes, pretty sad that they have no idea, wish I was closer so I could have a go

CMP70306

Lil-Rokslider
Well add hyperbole to the list as it were.

Not necessarily, what’s .308, .50 BMG and 40mm grenades go for these days? I imagine a few machine gun training sessions could eat up a decent chunk of ammo when uncle sugar is paying for it.

Especially if he got to use a minigun, it’s $25 a second to shoot that thing. Or any of the fancy .50 ammo out of an M2, no idea what those SLAP rounds cost but it’s probably expensive. Or any kind of rockets, those are expensive too.

Clearly he didn’t fire $1,000,000 worth of ammo through precision rifle systems or he wouldn’t have brought what he did.

I really wish someone would’ve went out there with a 223, .243, 6.5cm, 6cm, etc hunting rifle and cleaned the course. Maybe that backfire dude would quit being such a fudd about what a “hunting caliber” is

He did a hunt with 22 creedmoor where the kid shooting a suppressed 22 cm was still scared of it enough to whiff on 2 “chip shots”. He did have positive things to say about the cartidge with elds for hunting purposes at the end of the vid.

I have to give Jim some credit. I have had some pretty mean words for him in regards to his “how libs are ruining hunting” vid where he cited limited draws/primitive weapon seasons, blaze orange, etc for how “liberals” are ruining hunting. He also had a pathetic video questioning if 147 eld PRC was suitable for hunting where he came up with some pretty dumb conclusions. He’s detached from conservation and the avg hunter but has been bringing some good things to light lately. One of them was calling out the “MOA accuracy guarantees” as a joke and he goes down the line of rifle mnfr guarantees pointing it out. That and stuff like this video are needed because people are delusional with their skills.

RE the video, I didn’t see this big shot even use rear support once. WTF dude really?

JF_Idaho

Lil-Rokslider
Not necessarily, what’s .308, .50 BMG and 40mm grenades go for these days? I imagine a few machine gun training sessions could eat up a decent chunk of ammo when uncle sugar is paying for it.

Especially if he got to use a minigun, it’s $25 a second to shoot that thing. Or any of the fancy .50 ammo out of an M2, no idea what those SLAP rounds cost but it’s probably expensive. Or any kind of rockets, those are expensive too.

Clearly he didn’t fire $1,000,000 worth of ammo through precision rifle systems or he wouldn’t have brought what he did.

Or he exclusively shoots the Nosler ammo out of his 300WM.

1 Mil....that's what like 12 boxes of 20?

xsn10s

WKR
Hmm well if they had issues ranging then I'm not sure why they didn't confirm the distance by using the reticle. Assuming, yes i know what they say about assuming lol, he had a moa or mil reticle.

That’s the big takeaway here. Plus the ones who suck at shooting typically end up expending more ammo than the good ones for retraining and re-qualifying anyway lol. Anything self-propelled or explosive racks up $$ quick so money spent that has zero bearing on small arms proficiency.
I didn’t want to rewatch that awkward video, but it seemed like the water jugs as targets were a surprise. That’s a way different task than hitting deer or IPSC targets to 600.

Wrongside

WKR
If you skip to where there’s consecutive shots in a row, you can see a number of things. Inconsistent hand placement, coming off the glass immediately (follow through), etc.

As much as it pains me to say this, I feel comfortable generalizing the majority of modern shooters hunters in this category.

Except the trained killers here on the ‘slide of course 😉
For sure. Lots of areas to improve his shooting fundamentals. He flinched like crazy too. But hey, my fundamentals would probably fall to pieces shooting a 7.5-8 pound 300WM that much. That’s why I don’t even own one. A guy has to know his limitations. Mr Marine clearly doesn’t.

Unfortunately, you're more than likely correct. I shoot regularly at a range with a large membership. The few weeks preceding hunting season are always entertaining, and a bit depressing. 🤪

Last edited:

Wrongside

WKR
For me the one saving grace of this video was it poking a hole in the "I can do that easily, I was in the military!" thing that gets repeated way too often when it comes to long range.
Good point. I’ve been squadded with former/current LEO/Mil snipers at a few PR comps. There have been a few who’re very good shots under pressure. But most don’t finish very high in the standings.