Steel Shotgun Shells!! I wrote a post on your opinion. What Is the best Shotgun Shell to use for Water Foul.. In Reply!

Slugz

WKR
What I learned this year.
I think like ammo companies that come up with new rounds just because there is a hole in the market to fill, the amount of shot shells on the market right now is crazy and we all sometimes fall victim to good marketing.

I used to think nothing was better than Black Cloud. #2s for big ducks, BB for geese. Those and Remington Nitros were all we shot. Made a trip to Alberta this year and shot box after box of Winchester Super X. I always thought those were junk prior to the trip. Completely changed my mind. After the trip, I don't think it matters. Sure some pattern better then others.

Pattern your gun. Practice shooting more. Run a choke that matches your ability/range and decoy the birds. Get em close. Spend more time on the hide, decoy set and calling.

:)
Sorry if I offend but I gotta add this.
Canadians are people.
Canadas are geese.
:)

Branta canadensis

Rich M

WKR
Not sure how good everyone shoots but if you’re buying expensive shells it just costs more. Shared a blind with a guy shooting hevishot. He didnt get more than the rest of us did, just spent more on shells.

My fav load up north was 3- inch #1 Dryloks. Routinely shot birds out to 60 yards. Where we were, you hunted all day for 1 or 2 shot opportunities so you took what shots you got.

Then moved south and had ducks all over but 0 geese. I prefer #4 steel and decoying birds. I never set the decoys beyond 25 yards.

I shoot Boss even though it can be a pain to order as they are frequently out of stock. I did a 3 day crane hunt with my 20 gauge O/U last year and killed a pile of them with 3 inch #5s. Ordered a case of Boss 3 inch #2s for my 12 this year. All the other money spent on waterfowl, shells are a small fraction.
Nice

Based on how some people talk it almost sounds like you need TSS #6 to take down cranes

Last year I bought a case of Hevi-Hammer #2, Its worked great for Canadian and Snows

I shoot a shyt ton of ducks and specks. Its the one thing in California we have the best of. Super long season and huge limits. I shoot nothing but kent or Federal 3" 3's, the inexpensive shells. (I use the term "inexpensive" loosely now) Hunting in the rice I would actually shoot 2 3/4" if i could find it but I just dont see it much. But I can usually find a case of the 3" shells around. For most shooting I dont see any reason to use high dollar shells. I also just use a factory modified or improved cylinder choke. I truely believe all the expensive shells and after market choke tubes are kind of a ridiculous waste of money. My dead duck totals seem to support that. There are times if it is ripping windy and there are a bunch of geese around I will switch out to 2's or BB. But for the most part I stick with the 3's

Last edited:
This year I switched to black cloud 3” 3’s and have dramatically improved. After patterning with the hevi shot 3’s (not BOSS loads) and the black clouds, my 870 likes the black clouds a lot more. That info probably doesn’t help you at all, but don’t forget to pattern your gun and see what the shot is doing.