Stone Glacier M7 Set

Couldn't find a good fit in any of them? or just don't care for the M7? I agree though, there really isn't much for reviews on the M7, I still have my jacket and like it a lot. But remember when i was trying to find info on the pants/sizing I couldn't find much for info. It would have to be damn cold for me to be able to hike around in the M7 pants, when i did try them on at home they i couldn't believe how warm they made my legs feel.
I don't want what I was saying to be taken as saying that the M7 gear isn't well made, but rather that it seems like a unique solution with early execution that my application doesn't need at this time.

***This is a preliminary review, and I'm tired so forgive me if this is jumbled. I'm leaving for elk season but I wanted to get this out since I'm here. I am biased in my experience, I have not field tested these, and everything I have written should be taken with a degree of leniency***

The M7 gear seems well made but I think it would benefit greatly from a revision. A quick synopsis; this is snow gear meant to be used almost the entire time you're on your hunt, and is not intended for frequent changing of layers.

Material type: Consider first that there are I think three overarching groups of fabrics: stretch fabric (wool, poly midlayers, most pants, even cotton shirts, etc), there is non-stretch fabric (rain shells), and there is lined non-stretch fabric (rain shells with poly fleece). Rain shells slide on your primary gear no problem, but lined non-stretch gear tends to be kind of grabby against the layer underneath it, which gives a feeling of reduced movement, which then comes into choosing proper sizing. Like when you put a poly midlayer over a wool baselayer, how it doesn't just slide over the midlayer but kind of tugs at it and you have to tweak it into place with some final adjustments, that's how this fabric feels because that's exactly what the inner lining is.

I am 6'1" and wear Large (sometimes Medium) shirts, and 34-34 pants. The M7 gear is lined non-stretch fabric - it has roughly no stretch, just a tiny bit. It is warm, but not terribly warm. The cuts are actually pretty workable with different sizes, and I found that I could wear both a Medium or Large jacket, and a Medium, Medium Tall, or Medium-Large pant pretty well. I found that when it came to sizing, if the M7 pants were up to 1" shorter than my inseam it was ok, but in general it was just fine to go with the super long 36.5" inseam of their Tall models because the extra length kind of just disappeared on me. Sizing the jacket was important to getting a puffy on underneath; a Medium actually fit well with a puffy on (plus baselayer and midlayer), but a little snug in the arms, but the problem was it was really a slow process to get the M7 on over a puffy because the fleece lining is a little bit grabby. The Large M7 would be great and easy. Sizing the pants is more important in my opinion: the smaller size fit me well and was quieter because it didn't have a bunch of loose fabric on the legs that slid against each other as I walked. The actual Medium-Large size that their size sheet says to wear for my body felt baggy, like I had a diaper on, and with the legs too baggy. This is with their waist system adjusted.

Notes:
- The material is loud; not super loud, but I wouldn't rifle hunt in these on a dry day. This gear is at home in snow where no matter what you're wearing, you're making noise when you step.

- The pockets are almost unusable. The high chest pockets can't fit much. The low chest pockets are ok. The upper pants pockets are covered over by the draping of the jacket, and the lower pants pockets are ok. The biggest problem with all the pockets is the lack of any bellowing; these are non-stretch fabrics, and the pockets are the flat outer shell of the garment, so the only place for something to go in them is to press against you and push the garment away from your body.

- The hood was ok, I wish it had a flexible or semi-rigid element to prop the crown edge up.

- The sleeves are long but I found that on the Medium jacket they were just fine; on the Large jacket they felt a little awkward but were fine with the cuffs adjusted. If you're actually wearing this gear all day, the cuffs are a non-issue.

- The pant waistband is sweet, you don't need a belt and it's adjustable for waist size changes (weight changes between seasons, different layers, etc.)

- SG informed me that this gear isn't really intended to be rain gear, though it may work well in that application. They said that it is tough to get a good seam seal over the fleece lining fabric. The two tech guys I spoke with were very open about what this gear is, and is not, and were very honest about things and nudged me against buying it for my use case hunting in Oregon.

Overall this gear seems to fill a very niche use case of snow use. This is not rain gear, this is not gear you change layers with frequently. This is cold, cold, snow weather gear that provides a better shell for snow use than a rain jacket or softshell can, with insulation and the ability to dump a lot of heat through generous leg and pit zips.

Small update. I just wore the pants 3 days straight pheasant hunting in sd. Temps were 20-30 degrees, and the first day was rainy so everything was soaking wet. I wore FL kiln long johns under them. Temp wise this was perfect.
By the afternoon the 1st day the seams on the knees started letting some water in. Not nearly enough to make things cold or uncomfortable. But just enough to know it was getting in. It took hours of pushing through soaking wet grass for this to happen tho.
The rest of the trip they were perfect. I’ve now used them for 1st season elk, mn whitetail, and now pheasants. Overall im still super happy with them. They’re not perfect for every situation, but they’re a really good “do everything” option

Small update. I just wore the pants 3 days straight pheasant hunting in sd. Temps were 20-30 degrees, and the first day was rainy so everything was soaking wet. I wore FL kiln long johns under them. Temp wise this was perfect.
By the afternoon the 1st day the seams on the knees started letting some water in. Not nearly enough to make things cold or uncomfortable. But just enough to know it was getting in. It took hours of pushing through soaking wet grass for this to happen tho.
The rest of the trip they were perfect. I’ve now used them for 1st season elk, mn whitetail, and now pheasants. Overall im still super happy with them. They’re not perfect for every situation, but they’re a really good “do everything” option
How has the noise and comfort of them been for you now that you have some time in them? Have they broken in some?

How has the noise and comfort of them been for you now that you have some time in them? Have they broken in some?
Comfort-wise I feel like they’ve always been fine. As for the noise, I don’t think they’re terrible. My gaiters rubbing together are much louder than the pants. But if I have to walk silently I just spread my feet out wider so nothing rubs.
I’m not sure if they’re any quieter than when I got them. I’ve had them for over a year so I’ve forgotten. I wear them whitetail hunting here in mn all the time and they’ve never been an issue. But that’s mostly treestand hunting.

OP
Zach Herold

Zach Herold

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sound? Any of you that own the M7 jacket; is it too loud for late season archery? I wonder how it would work for snowy, timbered late season archery. Never found a perfect outer layer for a semi mobile layer when moving through thick stuff with snow falling and brushing off all over you. True softshells are ok and fleece and synthetic puffys get soaked.
Comparatively to other rain gear, the sound is minimal especially for rain gear and yes I would and have used for archery.

OP
Zach Herold

Zach Herold

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks UpSideDown! I had one in the cart….saved me some trouble.
For what its worth, if I will be hunting a lot and walking through lots of vegetation I would wear the M7 for all of it, rifle and bow. I love it and unless its early season, its my go to.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
For what its worth, if I will be hunting a lot and walking through lots of vegetation I would wear the M7 for all of it, rifle and bow. I love it and unless its early season, its my go to.
I'd echo what Zach is saying here, and the sound comments, as I do not find it overly loud. WAY quieter than gortex pro, for example. M7 is like a thin soft shell (fleece liner is lighter than most "soft" shells) that has a membrane and is taped. It's use case is late season, put on and left on all day essentially. Especially handy for windy/snow season. It is significantly more bulky inside a pack than a typical hard rainshell, for example.

Brent

Lil-Rokslider
The M7 is out for me. I prefer my rain layer pants to have full length zips. The front pockets are nice, though.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
The M7 is out for me. I prefer my rain layer pants to have full length zips. The front pockets are nice, though.
Agreed on rain layer.

M7 isn’t really a rain layer - those aren’t full zip because they are intended to be a primary outer layer, all day, when it’s wet/snowy/cold out. Pretty specialized use case (according to SG at least).

OP
Zach Herold

Zach Herold

Super Moderator
Staff member
Agreed on rain layer.

M7 isn’t really a rain layer - those aren’t full zip because they are intended to be a primary outer layer, all day, when it’s wet/snowy/cold out. Pretty specialized use case (according to SG at least).
Nailed it!

I'm going to update my preliminary review/commentary soon. I was able to put some time on the M7 pants and I loved them, they were a game changer even in mild, rainy usage, which isn't what they're marketed for.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
Spent all weekend in the M7 jacket in “gale” winds per the weather forecast. Days started cold but warmed in the sun. But that wind was biting cold. With a merino base and ambient hoody underneath, I was able to move all day, regulating heat with pit zips. I shed the jacket a few times for big efforts but otherwise hid from the wind in it.

The length and ability to layer underneath is really nice. It isn’t super quiet but is comparable to a poly faced hard shell, certainly not loud like gortex pro. In the intermittent snow, wet trees, deadfall etc it was a good barrier to have. The sleeves are long on me but the coverage while glassing is a big plus. With the fleece liner, it doesn’t pack super small. I find all of the pockets pretty small, but then again I’m a medium.

I got it specifically for all day late rifle hunts here in Montana and it works quite well in that application when conditions are more extreme.

It’s loud. It’s not super loud, but it’s a no go for archery or any time that there isn’t rain falling or snow on the ground that you’re trudging through anyways. Not terribly loud like my Kuiu Talus was but it’s loud. I got three pant and two jacket sizes in to test and frankly I’m disappointed in the reviews that are out there now, I can’t believe they missed so many immediate details of this gear.

I’ll probably write a quick review but I’m sending the gear back because it doesn’t seem like my use case matches with what it’s specialized in. It truly seems to be snow gear that also works well if it’s raining, and it should do well at that, and there’s some good details to it.

I’ve got the M7 and M5 and as far as quiet goes I mean if you need to be wearing the set usually it’s pretty nasty weather. So that helps with covering up your sound. I really don’t think there is quiet rain gear out there. I mean it is functioning as an outer shell to keep you dry against elements.

Arithson

FNG
I’m on the cusp of buying the set - so I’m looking forward to the dets

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Get it! You can’t go wrong with them. Best late season set up I’ve seen. Wear mine late fall to late spring to do everything and love them.