swacker broad heads LRP

Chirogrow

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone see this video lately? I'm a fixed head kind of guy but Im intrigued with these because it eliminates the fear of hitting a rib. I'd love to hear other opinions on this head

Bump79

WKR
Swhackers make sense but I haven't shot them yet, a lot of people like them. But honestly, I see absolutely no benefit of this LRP system over a normal thread Swhacker. I wouldn't pay the premium for it. They switched the thread from male going into a female - to the opposite. Seems nearly pointless and very expensive to me. All they needed to do was make it all steel or titanium and glue the whole thing in to the .166 like a Thorn.

The Glue-in systems from Evolution Outdoors, Thorn GI, Valkyrie Deathswitch (Evolution essentially) and even Sevr or Schwaker Deep Six models are way better designs than this setup. Sevr will pivot around ribs in theory. Penetration for me on elk with a 1.5 was meh. Got to the far side. Didn't bleed great. I'd shoot the 1.75 or 2.0 if I was to do it again as most of the energy is taken by deployment not necessarily the cut size if they are super sharp IMHO.

Thorn GI fly incredible as there is no blades exposed whatsoever. The lock mechanism is sweet. The rubber retention shear pin needs improved though - it kind of gums up and adds unnecessary resistance after deployment.

OP
C

Chirogrow

Lil-Rokslider
I agree with the premium for the set up but I love the concept of passing the rips before deployment. I always hear good things about sevr and the theory of going around the rib is nice as well. I'll have to look at the thorn GI. I love fixed heads but a bigger cut is starting to be more intriguing. I wish all the expandable bh would ditch the rings and have a lock like grim reaper. I have trust issues with those bands.

MattB

WKR
Fear of hitting a rib?

Here is a great marketing idea:
1. Find a cool looking product that addresses no actual need.
2. Convince consumers that the non-issue is an actual problem and a solution is needed.
3. Profit

I jokingly say that because I have cut 6-7 ribs on quartering shots on deer before and still got full penetration. There isn’t a flimsier bone in an animal’s body.

The issue with heads like the Swacker is that in the unlikely case that the tip hits something hard and the ferrule bends before the blade tabs enter the animal, the blades can get stuck in the closed position. Again, unlikely but something that has happened.

Bump79

WKR
I agree with the premium for the set up but I love the concept of passing the rips before deployment. I always hear good things about sevr and the theory of going around the rib is nice as well. I'll have to look at the thorn GI. I love fixed heads but a bigger cut is starting to be more intriguing. I wish all the expandable bh would ditch the rings and have a lock like grim reaper. I have trust issues with those bands.
My point is only that the normal Swhackers deploy the exact same. So there is no point in the LRP system when you can just get the normal Swhackers for less.

Zac

WKR
Bowmar had a pretty obvious deflection on a rib of a brown bear with one of them. Although almost all of them suffer from the asymmetrical blade deployment issue. It’s around 115 if you want to watch it.

OP
C

Chirogrow

Lil-Rokslider
Bowmar had a pretty obvious deflection on a rib of a brown bear with one of them. Although almost all of them suffer from the asymmetrical blade deployment issue. It’s around 115 if you want to watch it.
Awesome video! I assume he's in a league of his own with his draw weight, length and arrow speed if I had to guess but thats impressive to take a bear like that with a mechanical.

Reactions: Zac
OP
C

Chirogrow

Lil-Rokslider
Fear of hitting a rib?

Here is a great marketing idea:
1. Find a cool looking product that addresses no actual need.
2. Convince consumers that the non-issue is an actual problem and a solution is needed.
3. Profit

I jokingly say that because I have cut 6-7 ribs on quartering shots on deer before and still got full penetration. There isn’t a flimsier bone in an animal’s body.

The issue with heads like the Swacker is that in the unlikely case that the tip hits something hard and the ferrule bends before the blade tabs enter the animal, the blades can get stuck in the closed position. Again, unlikely but something that has happened.
with a mechanical hitting anything other than hide is a concern just due to the already lack of penetration I would assume but like I said, I've always used fixed heads QAD's. Thats a valid point about the ferrule breaking with the aluminum build

Bump79

WKR
with a mechanical hitting anything other than hide is a concern just due to the already lack of penetration I would assume but like I said, I've always used fixed heads QAD's. Thats a valid point about the ferrule breaking with the aluminum build
I wouldn't stress it with a 7075 T6 aluminum. That is a pretty strong aluminum - better than cheap steel. Not as strong as TI or high end steel but pretty strong.

I think that the LRP system addressed little to nothing in terms of strength or straightness/concentricity. I’d rather go with a D6 or Snydercore from IW or Ethics which gets you some wins for both.

Also I just cannot get behind the concept of the shwacker’s deployment mechanism. What happens if you don’t get a full pass through? No instead of a normal sized hole on the entrance side, you basically have a pin hole the size of the arrow. Fixed blade or SEVR would be my recommendation

Bump79

WKR
I think that the LRP system addressed little to nothing in terms of strength or straightness/concentricity. I’d rather go with a D6 or Snydercore from IW or Ethics which gets you some wins for both.
100% - It addresses nothing mechanically. Glue in from Evolution, Valkyrie and Thorn for the win for micros. I always debate to just go to .224 or .233 shafts though and then not screw around with any of this component nonsense.

Also I just cannot get behind the concept of the shwacker’s deployment mechanism. What happens if you don’t get a full pass through? No instead of a normal sized hole on the entrance side, you basically have a pin hole the size of the arrow. Fixed blade or SEVR would be my recommendation
That is a problem. Similar honestly with Sevr - if a 1.5 pivots around a rib you might only have a little more .75 cut through the ribs. I lost a bull last year (due to no fault of the head to be clear, shot placement wasn't ideal) and blood tracking was very rough. Not what I expected but I didn't get a pass through.

This design makes more sense IMHO. Hybrid COC, the blades don't deploy till probably .3" later than a Shwacker, curved blades help deploy quicker and the band rolls over vs breaking. You'd pass through rib with full energy on the near side then open. Steel quality is meh, needs sharpened. $27 for 3 and Lusk has a coupon though so they are not expensive. I've got a few in the quiver for whitetail does this year.

100% - It addresses nothing mechanically. Glue in from Evolution, Valkyrie and Thorn for the win for micros. I always debate to just go to .224 or .233 shafts though and then not screw around with any of this component nonsense.

That is a problem. Similar honestly with Sevr - if a 1.5 pivots around a rib you might only have a little more .75 cut through the ribs. I lost a bull last year (due to no fault of the head to be clear, shot placement wasn't ideal) and blood tracking was very rough. Not what I expected but I didn't get a pass through.

This design makes more sense IMHO. Hybrid COC, the blades don't deploy till probably .3" later than a Shwacker, curved blades help deploy quicker and the band rolls over vs breaking. You'd pass through rib with full energy on the near side then open. Steel quality is meh, needs sharpened. $27 for 3 and Lusk has a coupon though so they are not expensive. I've got a few in the quiver for whitetail does this year.
I have all ethics hardware with HIT/D6 in my GT Pierce Platinums (.166) and have had nothing but great results. Let’s be honest we would still be interested in the components nonsense even if we shoot .204/.224/etc.

What is the ferrule of that head you share made out of? Their website isn’t the greatest. And how did it do in Lusk’s test? I’m skeptical of the robustness of this design.

Pretty much any mechanical isn’t going be ideal in any skewed entry scenario which it sounds like you’re (sadly) keenly aware of.

Reactions: Zac