Sweating in the backcountry...

Karl86

FNG
Hey all, i've been a lurker for some time and i don't think i've seen this topic discussed much. But first some info about myself. Im from Indiana, and love hunting out west. I'm 6'1", 205 and a bit of a gym rat. My issue is i sweat. Alot.
I've tried several layering systems, all merino(best so far) to no real improvement. I am constantly changing clothes, or slowing down to keep my body heat down.
Maybe I'm doing everything i can, i just want some input from others.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Qfrog

Lil-Rokslider
Hey all, i've been a lurker for some time and i don't think i've seen this topic discussed much. But first some info about myself. Im from Indiana, and love hunting out west. I'm 6'1", 205 and a bit of a gym rat. My issue is i sweat. Alot.
I've tried several layering systems, all merino(best so far) to no real improvement. I am constantly changing clothes, or slowing down to keep my body heat down.
Maybe I'm doing everything i can, i just want some input from others.

Same. I found that a really light base layer is all I can hike in even in the snow. I just keep my puffy handy for when I stop. Synthetics were all I could use because of the fast dry time but now with a wool poly mix available I use that when it’s under 60 degrees. I have been using Sitka lightweight base layer and it works to keep me cool so I don’t over sweat in warmer weather. Sweating isn’t a major issue if you can dry quickly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

xcutter

WKR
I also sweat profusely. I only wear a light base layer when hiking. Usually something like the Sitka core. When I reach my glassing spot I wait until I cool down and dry out then start adding layers of insulation as needed. Biggest problem is that I have to bring more clothes to change into everyday or wash them as needed at base camp.

pbcarch

WKR
Yup same problem here. I have same issue when cycling. It's best to layer lighter and be colder to begin with, once your body heats up your fine.

With sweat for me its unavoidable once I start. But very thin layer keeps me cooler for longer . Depending on where you are you might need to pack a spare base layer to change to.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
It's pretty hard to hunt elk and not sweat. I've had times where I'm running to cut off a herd and end up running quite a ways. By the time the tunnel vision wears off, I realize my baseball cap is like a shower......completely soaked and dripping on all sides. That along with all of my clothes completely soaked with sweat. But that's why I wear merino base layers.....to keep that sweat off my skin, can't stand that. They all dry fairly quick, especially if there's a breeze but until then.......ya, I'm soaked. My camo is 100% poly so it dries the quickest. That's just the nature of elk hunting, but IME merino base layers are the best solution for it.

WoolyBugger

Lil-Rokslider
I also have this problem, I will sweat walking to my stand in the dead of winter in Iowa as well. I wear very light merino base layer from First Lite, then when I get to where I am going I add a fleece layer then my puffy layer if need be. The merino is awesome, if you haven't tried it I highly recommend

OP
K

Karl86

FNG
Thanks to all. Yes, im really thinking of next time out possibly running no long underwear and starting with my baselayer top only.
I was able to take a mule deer in montana during rifle season a few years back. When i saw the deer i had just crested a hill(mountain) took the shot and hustled over. I was so soaked and cold by the time i confirmed he was down that i was shaking cold. It began to snow, highs in the 20's. I changed clothes, warmed up and got him out, it just really was kind of a wake up call, that i may need to change my strategy!

I much prefer a poly/Merino blend to straight Merino. Merino takes too long to dry, especially if you are hunting in wet and humid conditions like we can get at times in BC. I use the Costco Paradox zip neck long sleeved tee tops..$20 Canadian, not camo. They are a treated poly/Merino blend. I can wear them for a week and still stand them, sweating profusely packing back in sheep hunting to start the trip. Costco has them in stock as of last week around me. They wear like iron though. Bottoms are good too and a couple $ cheaper.

fiskeri1

Lil-Rokslider
Same here except I always bring a second base layer, since they are next to nothing to pack. Usually it's a lightweight short sleeve for the hike in and as soon as I'm "there" I quickly switch to a Sitka core lightweight hoody. The wet layer goes into a side pocket in my Kifaru DT2.

Beendare

WKR
I sweat like crazy. I typically leave amp in a long sleeve T at o dark thirty. Sure I'm shivering for the first 1/4 mile....but after that I'm good.

Sweating sure, it just happens...... but not usually a problem unless its your feet getting soaked.

. I typically take my boots off a couple of times a day to keep my boots and socks aired out and to keep from getting soaked. I sometimes use a spray on anti perspirant on my feet...and lower back....if its a base camp and convenient.

Lawnboi

WKR
What’s your concern with? Being wet or do you stink when you sweat?

Merino while great for keeping stink down, doesn’t dry for squat. Some of the blends are better but a pure poly will definetly to keep you drier, but could possibly stink depending how smelly of a dude you are.

Once you start layering merino it really doesn’t dry. There are some poly materials that really pull the sweat away from your body.

ramont

Lil-Rokslider
1. If you are sweating then you're doing it wrong - hunting isn't a marathon.
2. Regardless, you'll always run in to some kind of situation that will cause you to get wet so always carry a second set of clothes in your pack.

I've lived in places where you had to expect to sweat no matter what you did (Arizona and Utah) but here in Montana, during the general season, with normal temperatures at the altitudes that you'll find elk at, there is very little reason to sweat. You start out wearing minimal cold weather gear. When you start walking you should be cold enough to almost start shivering. By the time you've climbed up some slopes and maneuvered around the dead-falls you should be warm enough that even in 20 degree weather you'll be warm with just your base layer of thin Merino wool and a light outside layer. In your pack you should have your heavy insulation layer and a heavy jacket. If you stop and hunt from a ground stand or start glassing then put on the heavy stuff. Strip back down to the base layer when you start moving again. Running - sorry, I've never seen the need for it or felt that it was worth the effort. You'll never outrun the game animal, you might outsmart him and cut him off but if you simply give them some time to relax by staying where you are, you'll be able to pick their tracks up and stalk them. The meat will taste better if you don't have them pumped full of adrenaline from making them run out of fear.

Yes, im really thinking of next time out possibly running no long underwear and starting with my baselayer top only.

I'm a sweaty mofo too. Baselayer bottoms are a no go in all but the coldest of rifle season days but I also stay active. Hip vents (attack and chinook pants) are a huge difference maker in dumping heat and drying out. I spend most of the days in just a pair of attack pants and either the thin FL aerowool long sleave 1/4 zip (warm weather) or Chama hoody (usually good into the 20s). If windy or a little cold, the next layer is a Chinook softshell with large pit zips - adds a little insulation but primarily blocks wind and allows some heat dumping with the pit zips. If stopping for any appreciable amount of time, i toss on the uncompahgre puffy.

All of this obviously varies by hunting style. This works well for me for active day hunts starting at low elevation with a sweaty 1+ mile long climb to get started. If you are not cold when you start walking in the morning you're overdressed.

cwegga

FNG
Yeah, I just sweat when working. Even when it's snowing and cold. Last year I was hiking around in light pants a synthetic t-shirt and light gloves chasing mule deer. My gloves actually got too damp and my hands were cold. I haven't found a good solution. I dress light while moving and working and layer on the insulation whenever I stop.
685d5427ecd5b3ed1020843e90d1018d.jpg

OP
K

Karl86

FNG
What’s your concern with? Being wet or do you stink when you sweat?

Merino while great for keeping stink down, doesn’t dry for squat. Some of the blends are better but a pure poly will definetly to keep you drier, but could possibly stink depending how smelly of a dude you are.

Once you start layering merino it really doesn’t dry. There are some poly materials that really pull the sweat away from your body.
I mainly just want to stay warm. And to stay warm is to stay dry. I've been using a merino baselayer with poly outer layers, but like i said i'm constantly stopping to don/doff layers. I just soak thru em'.

OP
K

Karl86

FNG
2. Regardless, you'll always run in to some kind of situation that will cause you to get wet so always carry a second set of clothes in your pack.

I've lived in places where you had to expect to sweat no matter what you did (Arizona and Utah) but here in Montana, during the general season, with normal temperatures at the altitudes that you'll find elk at, there is very little reason to sweat. You start out wearing minimal cold weather gear. When you start walking you should be cold enough to almost start shivering. By the time you've climbed up some slopes and maneuvered around the dead-falls you should be warm enough that even in 20 degree weather you'll be warm with just your base layer of thin Merino wool and a light outside layer. In your pack you should have your heavy insulation layer and a heavy jacket. If you stop and hunt from a ground stand or start glassing then put on the heavy stuff. Strip back down to the base layer when you start moving again. Running - sorry, I've never seen the need for it or felt that it was worth the effort. You'll never outrun the game animal, you might outsmart him and cut him off but if you simply give them some time to relax by staying where you are, you'll be able to pick their tracks up and stalk them. The meat will taste better if you don't have them pumped full of adrenaline from making them run out of fear.
Well dude i have to disagree with your first point. I may not be have it down to a science, but i've had success. But if i'm moving i'm sweating. Its fairly mitigated where I live now, because we hunt treestands. But i sweat on the way in for sure. And my rabbit hunting in January/February, yeah i'm the guy in a t-shirt tromping thru the snow haha.
Elk hunting where we've been thus far has been exertion to a place to glass, then glassing, then moving on.

I know there is not going to be some product i should buy, but i just wanted to see what others are doing and how they deal with it.

Beendare

WKR

Well the OP specifically mentioned "hunting out west"

Sure if you are whitetail hunting on semi flat ground you can take it easy going in to your stand to keep from sweating.

"Out West" we have elk hunted archery season up to 12,000' and in some pretty rough country where those elk live ... it ain't flat!

I would sure like to know how a guy that hunts western wilderness type areas can cover 5-10 miles a day with many thousands of feet in elevation change without sweating.

Sweating is a given for western hunters.