Switching from pickup to jeep wrangler

Not sure how I missed that but thanks! That’s what I’m looking for. Did all that weight load the back end down enough where you would have scrapped rocks coming down a rough road? Or have issues climbing a steep mountain?

This was my issue last year while loaded down. I scraped every rock on the way down the mountain. Some areas I have access to don’t get maintained at all and that side by side got tore up to say the least. Not looking to upgrade side by sides either because I can get a decent jeep for around the same price.
Skidplates my friend....lol.

That said Ive hunted with mine for many years. They are nice to have if the terrain gets rough, but for strictly a hunting vehicle a shortbox 4wd pickup would be my way to go. Tons of room in the back, especially with the seats removed, but I take so much crap, mostly for basecamp, that it fills up quickly. I still put stuff in the roof rack. One thing about Jeeps, you have to drive them and be on top of them at all times. Mine is pretty modded, so that doesn't help, but even with all the idiosyncrasies they are a fun vehicle. Build quality can be sketchy and if you are offroading they will twist and flex and that doesn't help either. I built a sleeping platform/underfloor storage into mine last year and added a bunch of cargo space by taking out the rear seats.

Attachments

• storage.jpg
    storage.jpg
    161.8 KB · Views: 30
  • gloss.jpg
    gloss.jpg
    329.5 KB · Views: 30
Not sure how I missed that but thanks! That’s what I’m looking for. Did all that weight load the back end down enough where you would have scrapped rocks coming down a rough road? Or have issues climbing a steep mountain?

This was my issue last year while loaded down. I scraped every rock on the way down the mountain. Some areas I have access to don’t get maintained at all and that side by side got tore up to say the least. Not looking to upgrade side by sides either because I can get a decent jeep for around the same price.
I have a SXS and Jeep and trucks (half ton and one ton). It's a tradeoff either way - no free lunch. The primary difference between SXS and Jeep is the speed at which you can cover ground due to the soft suspension.

The tradeoff for a SXS is climate control, noise and inability to haul heavy (soft suspension), not to mention they are usually not pavement legal in a lot of states/areas.

Jeeps go anywhere with solid axle reliability, but can fill up quick compared to a truck. They also won't cover ground as quick as a SXS, and depending on your camp setup cannot tow a camper or haul your entire camp.

Trucks go 85% of places SXS/Jeeps go, but half tons with IFS aren't as rugged for boulders. They haul and tow much more, and are generally more useful for 90% of scenarios.

Depending on your unit and how you hunt out of camp, one or the other will be ideal. I don't generally hunt single honey holes and it's not uncommon for me to want to check 3-4 spots over 50+ miles in one day over rough forest roads. A SXS in those cases will save me hours in travel time since I can run 25-30mph on roads that my Jeep will only manage 15mph while getting beat to $h...

There's no single right answer.

Duh

WKR
I have a SXS and Jeep and trucks (half ton and one ton). It's a tradeoff either way - no free lunch. The primary difference between SXS and Jeep is the speed at which you can cover ground due to the soft suspension.

The tradeoff for a SXS is climate control, noise and inability to haul heavy (soft suspension), not to mention they are usually not pavement legal in a lot of states/areas.

Jeeps go anywhere with solid axle reliability, but can fill up quick compared to a truck. They also won't cover ground as quick as a SXS, and depending on your camp setup cannot tow a camper or haul your entire camp.

Trucks go 85% of places SXS/Jeeps go, but half tons with IFS aren't as rugged for boulders. They haul and tow much more, and are generally more useful for 90% of scenarios.

Depending on your unit and how you hunt out of camp, one or the other will be ideal. I don't generally hunt single honey holes and it's not uncommon for me to want to check 3-4 spots over 50+ miles in one day over rough forest roads. A SXS in those cases will save me hours in travel time since I can run 25-30mph on roads that my Jeep will only manage 15mph while getting beat to $h...

There's no single right answer.
Yeah the trade offs between the SXS and jeep have been my dilemma. I have a F150 FX4 that I’ve got into some crazy places. I’ve beat the truck to absolute hell and scratched the crap out of it.

I’m living in ND now but regularly come back home to Nevada and Idaho almost every year. Hauled the SXS back for a few years and like how fast I can get around but not the clearance I’m looking for. My skid plates wrecked on the SXS haha. I only use the SXS in Nevada. I don’t use it at all in ND and usually hunt an hour away from my house.

My thoughts were to ditch the SXS and tow the jeep out to Nevada in order to stop beating my truck up. Then I could also use the jeep in ND and save the miles on my pickup.

Weldor

WKR
IMO, unless you're planning to do some serious offroading, don't buy a Wrangler.

My main complaints from driving a moderately modified (2" lift, 35" tires) 4-door 2017 Wrangler for about 2.5 years were:
  • Occasional "death wobble" (not as scary as the colloquial name makes it seem but it is a real phenomenon) and generally rough/unstable ride due to solid front axle and high center of gravity
  • Road noise
  • Poor fuel mileage
The lift and oversized tires amplified these issues, but they're still common complaints even with a stock setup. I definitely wouldn't want to pull a trailer at highway speeds with a Wrangler.
Find a Jeep guy who owns a shop. The death wobble is curable on any wrangler. Mostly it is setting up the Caster /camber correctly for your jeep. Anytime you lift a vehicle you change all that. Make sure you have adjustable upper and lower control arms. That puts the axle where it should be. To the subject I own a 2013 JKU 2 1/2 lift 33's on it so the wife can get in and drive , she's 5'2" LOL. Great for local hunting trips, on long trips Rm 3/4 t Mega cab towing my can am, much more comfortable for the long haul.

I think most the folks replying are not understanding what he was asking. He was asking about the gladiator jeep truck versus a truck.

I've had a Jeep Wrangler and I loved it, but I missed having a truck bed. I've been back in a pickup for several years. On a work trip I had a Jeep gladiator Rubicon as a rental and that thing was awesome. I've contemplated making the same switch whenever I got to needing a new vehicle.

Beds are a little smaller and the cab isn't as roomy as my F150 but it would definitely perform better off road

xsn10s

WKR
IMO two completely different jobs between a wrangle and a pickup truck. For offroading I use my XJ Cherokee 4.5" lift on 33's. For light offroading I use my Chevy Tahoe. And I wish I still had either my F250 or F350 fir truck duties such as yard work, towing and light offroading. A truck or larger SUV just don't compare to a modified wrangler of other jeep variant. Other lighter SUV's like the wrangler will work, I just find Jeeps with 4.0L easy to work on.

xsn10s

WKR
I haven't driven a Gladiator but it seems to be a decent compromise. but compare it's rear end over hang to that of a wrangle or other suv. The rear axle tends to be much close to that back end of a rig on suvs making them better offroaders imo.

A good friend of mine got a Jeep to daily around town because he rarely needs his truck in his day to day life.

He spends a lot of time running back to his house/shop/office to get the truck. Or asking one of us to show up with a truck.

I see alot of those gladiators parked at the farmers market and at little league practice. For hauling a couple kids a purse, and some snacks. They seem to do well:ROFLMAO:
I would say that's most jeeps. Most folks that have one with gas cans strapped to it and high lift jacks never take it off the pavement.

Duh

WKR
Do any of you guys that have jeeps flat pull them behind your trucks for longer distance hunting trips? I see RV’s doing it all the time but are there any major concerns with doing this? Seems cheaper than buying a trailer.

Do any of you guys that have jeeps flat pull them behind your trucks for longer distance hunting trips? I see RV’s doing it all the time but are there any major concerns with doing this? Seems cheaper than buying a trailer.
Cheaper than buying a trailer, but more wear and tear on the vehicle.

coiloil37

Lil-Rokslider

That cant be answered without knowing how you build your rig and how technical the trail is. Push comes to shove put some airbags in the springs and give ‘em a bump when you load it right down.
That JKU in the pic had 1.5” lift springs and in that pic had 35” duratracs as my winter skins. I didn’t notice a decrease in comfort or trail performance that moose in the back and had a five hour drive home. Like I said, it would be on one ton axles, 42” swampers and have a 6.2l small block under the hood by now but I left the hemisphere and don’t play that game anymore.
The best part of a jeep is you can build however you want to handle the terrain you need to handle. The options are only limited by your bank account.

As an aside. If a truck is going 85% of the places a Jeep is going, it’s not very technical. That JKU wasn’t built so didn’t go everywhere but my TJ went anywhere I pointed it. The only truck I personally wheeled with that went the same places was this one.

42ad333a3048e600d6ea51e0e4a2d196.jpg

26db49bf2215307e127a677fcb7247e6.jpg

His little cruiser in the back on 44’s with 600hp under the hood went a few places as well. Then he went and built a tube buggy

10b0017b0764d987e22efb25c742f4ac.jpg

Build it how you want it.

Last edited:

Hunter456

FNG
I could see gladiators being a fit if hauling is kept to a minimum. Ive driven wrangler unlimiteds as well as 1/2 ton gmc trucks for many years, although the jeeps are fun/useful in certain situations I always end up in the truck working, hunting, fishing etc.

Weldor

WKR
Most of the ones I see are the guy's that own those big ol praire schooner motor homes. The Jk's have cv joints up front it's more than a simple 4 bolt job. Those engineers made sure we'd be banging elbows under there for sure. There's good youtube video's on the subject.

Reactions: Duh

Cheesy

FNG
I always said I'd never be without a truck. Then I bought a 3/4 ton diesel. Now I always say I'll never be without a 3/4 or 1 ton truck (diesel or gas, doesn't matter). Then I bought my wife a Jeep as her fun pavement princess vehicle. After driving it around town, I for sure would never have it as an only vehicle, primary hunting vehicle. Its purely a toy to me.

So, will always have at least a heavy duty truck for doing real truck stuff. Right now also have a Tundra for doing pretend truck stuff. And wife has a Jeep to play with as a toy.

At least the dogs liked it last night. They're ready for fall.