TAG BOMB bags - have a backup?

Bluto

WKR
Search didn't reveal anything, so here's the question/concern.

I have a set of BOMB bags for my upcoming elk hunt. If all goes well (this will be my first elk,) I'm skeptical boned out quarters will fit the bags I have after looking them over. Nothing I've seen for boned out elk quarters even remotely resembles a shape and/or size of meat that will fit into these. Am I missing something? Is there a method that everyone but me knows that will debone an elk quarter and fit into these bags? I'm pretty stoked at the size they take up compared to my Alaskan game bags, but now I'm not so sure just deboning meat will come close to fitting. Thoughts?

dotman

WKR
I just stick the meat in, there's no bone so only the shape of the meat. I'm thinking your still thinking of game bags made for bone in.

Mark

WKR
The meat from a good size bull will fit in a set of BOMB bags. To be safe, maybe order a couple of 14X20 bags. Between myself and my two sons, we carry 4 sets of BOMB bags. The most we were ever fortunate enough to use was 2 sets. Maybe this year we will use all four...

I've maxed out a set with a really big bodied bull. Had help bring in a few more bags but one of the bigger size would have done it. I now carry two larger caribou small single quarter bags and the bomb set from tags. I with TAGS had a bag in between their huge 4 pack and the bigger bomb bags. Hindquarters might require a little convincing to get in the bags but they do fit. Cut them the rest of the way through where you remove the Bone if you have to. If it makes you feel better pack one extra bag of some kind.

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
it'll fit unless you're killing moose-size elk. once you remove the leg bones the meat mass diameter will reduce and muscle cuts go right inside.

good luck,

larry

Bluto - You can fit a lot more meat in those bags than you think. Just do what you can to cool the meat before you put it in the bags. I keep a couple cheap space blankets in my kill kit to use as a clean surface to work on and spread meat out on.

I also have some extra meat bags at my truck to spread the meat out so that it ends up in thinner layers between the ice in the cooler or freezer. I don't like putting my boned out meat in garbage bags.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Since I hunt by myself most the time, I've gone away from the Bomb bags. Just too narrow an opening trying to force meat in there by myself. But if you can get it in there, it should fit.

KMT

WKR
You CAN definitely fit an elk in those bags. You will have to separate the muscle groups in the hind quarters to fit the meat in the bag, though.

Larry since you are watching this thread, do you have any plans to make an in between bag size from the big bomb and your 5 pack of big bags?

I had a chance to look up what size bigger bag I was referring to. It is your 24" x 44" bag. I would think something in the 20-24" x 30" range would work very well.

Last edited:
Does anyone have an idea how long it takes to get a set of regular bags from Pristine Ventures? I have a kill kit showing up tomorrow from the Rokslide store, but since it's a wall tent muley hunt I'm not sure how much work boning out the meat will save me. Leaving for it early Saturday morning.

I will probably end up ordering some for a solo backpack elk hunt next month. It seems the extra weight would be worth being able to hang meat on the bone around the kill/around camp and then boning it out for the haul out. Thoughts?

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
if we have them in stock about three days. They ship from WA

There may be opportunity to adjust sizes of new bags in the future. I'll reach out to the forum for needs when that opportunity solidifies.