Tagged Out or Tag Soup

While researching for a tag I drew several years ago, I had an outfitter acquaintance tell me that passing an animal wasn't saying I'd rather kill a bigger one, but rather I'd prefer to eat tag soup than fill my tag with that critter. That really spoke to me.

As a youngster with limited time, the first legal animal I had a tag for was my target. As I got older, I passed smaller trophies in search of larger ones.

Now days, I find myself choosing to fill my tag on mature animals, not necessarily trophy size. Or, by what excites me in the moment, regardless of age or maturity. I'll also choose to fill my tag on experiences, how the encounter occurred, conditions of the hunting season or environment, or even who I'm hunting/ sharing the hunt with, or generally just what pleases me in the moment.

I've found, in this last approach over the years, far more satisfaction with the hunting season in general, regardless of species.

What evolution on this process have you gone through and what factors influence your decisions in filling a tag. Most importantly, where do you find the most satisfaction in the overall experience?

ROKnROAL

FNG
All about meat in the freezer for me. I eat only what I kill as far as protein goes. Early in the hunt, of course I’ll target mature animals, but last day or two, if it’s legal, I have no qualms with taking it.

BFR

WKR
For years I shot the first legal animal I saw. First couple years after I moved to Montana I waited for the bigger or odd racks, now I don’t shoot anything unless I’m in the mood. Sounds crazy but I’ve passed 4x4s and later shot a forky, other times it was the first animal I saw be it spike or 4x4 just to get on with something else. Heck, I’ve eaten tag soup, and here you have to choose to since in a lot of units it’s any deer.

Now days, I find myself choosing to fill my tag on mature animals, not necessarily trophy size. Or, by what excites me in the moment, regardless of age or maturity. I'll also choose to fill my tag on experiences, how the encounter occurred, conditions of the hunting season or environment, or even who I'm hunting/ sharing the hunt with, or generally just what pleases me in the moment.

I've found, in this last approach over the years, far more satisfaction with the hunting season in general, regardless of species.
This part fits pretty much how I've been my whole life. If it feels right at the time or in the situation, then take care of business, enjoy it and don't look back. (Except to enjoy the memories of course :). )

I won’t shoot Bambi, because even though I like the meat a lot I don’t NEED it. I’ll take a nice buck if I can get one, and I’ll take a meh 3 point if that’s what the hunting gods send on the last day. Or I’ll pass if I’m feeling generous or lazy. I’ve eaten plenty of tag soup and it goes great with everything. When I was young I was severely disappointed not to fill a tag. Now… it matters, but not as much as having fun when I’m out there.

Like most things in life, focusing super hard on the objective will give you a much better chance of accomplishing that objective. Because you’re so focused you may be oblivious to so many amazing things happening all around you. You will probably find that taking a wider view, not being obsessive, stopping to smell the roses, may help you enjoy the experience more.

Among my favorite hunting memories are countless sightings of animals I was not hunting, getting tipsy with my brother one night around the campfire and laughing so hard about some dumb shit that I actually fell off my log and my stomach was sore the next day from the laughing. Helping my horse when he rolled with his pack on and ended upside down in a willow thicket. (He was grateful and embarrassed). Swapping stories with newly met friends in other camps. I could go on for hours. Hell I’ve even come to enjoy the process of sorting gear and packing groceries a lot.

A dead animal is the objective. It’s both satisfying and the older I get the more sad it makes me. But everything on the journey to the dead animal is worth as much. I guess I would say that the destination is a good excuse to take the trip. Enjoy the trip. Enjoy the trip.

Rich M

WKR
It all depends. I typically get a 3-day or 5-day quota hunt at home. First legal deer goes in freezer. Often have a 2nd tag but rarely fill it.

Travel hunts - i decide what my minimum is and try to abide by that. Did a muley hunt and wanted at least an 18-inch wide 3x3. I dont do travel hunts for meat, it is more of a vacation and trophy hunt.

This year is an antelope hunt and just want to shoot one, not worried about too much but want it to be symmetrical.

The first paragraph OP basically says that you dont shoot what you dont want to shoot and that’s good.

PredatoronthePrairie

Lil-Rokslider
I absolutely love deer bacon, brats, smoked sausage, summer sausage, ring baloni, strip jerky, sticks, chislic, pickled heart, shanks, smoked ribs, neck roast, tenderloins, burger. I fill the freezer while chasing the experience, and usually end up with something on the wall for the memories.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
At this stage 45th yr hunting it is about the hunt and the quality of animal. About 20 yrs ago I started passing on the average guys holding out. Sometimes I would regret it on a few cool hunts and encounters. My meat hunting family thought I was crazy letting small bulls walk holding out🤣 Every once in awhile the moment gets me and boom but for the most part the Will is strong to pass if it is not the one.

Beendare

WKR
So many factors, like; choice of weapon, meat in the freezer…..all the way to the quality of the unit……. I will never look down on anyone for shooting a critter.

Now there have been a couple head scratchers….like the guy that shot a little dink 4 point bull elk in his first 15 minutes of archery season in AZ unit 9 the year I drew a tag.

Jbehredt

WKR
I put a 6 pt mule deer tag on a forky last fall. Great hunt, great memories. We’ll laugh about my “6 pointer” for the rest of our lives.

Z71&Gun

Lil-Rokslider
Depends on how much time I have and how much meat is in my freezer. 10 days off, full freezer, I'm a trophy hunter. Nights and weekends with room in the freezer, I'm looking for nearby units where I can shoot a doe. Big game hunting fuels my year round hobby; cooking. I'm not willing to forego my year round hobby for a shot at a wall mount. Eventually I'll get to have both I think.

Mojave

WKR
A friend hunted Kyrgistan for ibex. The outfitter put them on ibex the first day, and my friend wanted to pass. The outfitter told him if he didn't shoot one he was done hunting, and he would drive him back to the airport.

My friend said that the outfitter told him it was rare to be into ibex the first day, and the guides would rather spend the week at home than taking care of dudes.

I don't have to kill to have hunted, so I rarely kill. I also have a few clients who hold to that same philosophy. When I was in my teens and twenties, killing was everything. After I turned 30, not so much. Nowadays, I hardly ever kill.

I dont have much time these days. Last year the last few days of season it snowed hard. I Closed up the shop for the last 2 days of season and hiked into a spot that I know holds some big animals.

I shot the smallest dink of a blacktail buck after kicking it up 3 times while hiking into my spot.

Meat in the freezer trumps horns for your dog to chew on

Oregon

WKR
I have zero idea going into any hunt. I learned a lesson 25 years ago. My brother came back to camp packing a forky horn mule deer. Dink. I was shocked, appalled, disappointed. He always hunted hard til the end.
I asked "why in the hell did you shoot that on day 5!"
He replied, "the shot intrigued me".
Good enough.
Something in our bellies tells us when to squeeze.

If Pennsy whitetail country I’ll take the meat because it’s better than mule deer (for most part).

I eat tags all the time. In my head I believe that maybe that one I didn’t tag will grow into the one that I do tag

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stalker69

WKR
I will go with my sons and friends, but any more I don't really care if I myself shoot any thing or not. And many times now I won't fill my tag. It's not like I am going to strarve to death. And now with CWD, and haveing to take samples and have them tested and wait for results. It's just easier not to shoot something anymore. Thinking of getting a good camera and " shooting" more with that now
then anything.

WRO

WKR
I’m a mule deer snob, I will only shoot a mature buck, that being said I’ll kill about any elk on a general hunt and have 0 issues dropping bombs on cows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk