Tags

If you go to Huntin Fool, I believe they have some free resources that list this out. They used to have back issues available as well that had the charts in there for this, but I think they took those down.

If you search youtube you will find tag strategies from Randy Newberg. He does a separate video for each western state and goes into a lot of detail on them.

It's easier to list the ones that don't. Idaho and New Mexico. All others have some sort of points system.

Jeremy

If I was new to big game hunting I would be focusing on the states that don't have a point system, like NM and ID. In these states you have the chance of drawing a tag sooner than later.

If I was new to big game hunting I would be focusing on the states that don't have a point system, like NM and ID. In these states you have the chance of drawing a tag sooner than later.
While I concur with this, the ones I'm familiar with are:

AZ: Can apply for point only - but must apply by deadline (was 2/11 for elk/antelope and on 6/9 for deer/sheep)
CO: Can apply for point only - but must apply by draw deadline
WY: Can purchase points for all species from July 1 -> October 31
MT: Can apply for them in the draw OR if you did not apply, can purchase points beginning July 1

Back