Taking food across the border

j3butch

Lil-Rokslider
For those that have taken their own food across the border into Canada for a backpack hunt have you had any issues with customs? Specifically Denver to Edmonton then on to Norman W….

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Never had an issue with food going into Canada. Have caught crap from US customs for having food coming back into the US.

AgLawman

FNG
I whitetail hunt in Mexico and cross near Laredo, Texas frequently. It's hit or miss with the Mexican customs agents on food. I've had them protest chicken, potatoes and a few fruits. Raw chicken gets their attention more than anything in my experience. I've had more trouble with the USDA inspectors on the Texas side while coming back across.

406life

Lil-Rokslider
Crossed last fall no issues. Just check what the current regs are. I don't recall even being asked about food. Also, just in case, suppressors and handguns are a no no.

Dogone

FNG
Border guys are trying to stop transmission of disease. Apples, oranges and potatoes crossing borders can cause the spread. There are regs regarding meat also.Asian folk are notorious for trying to bring raw exotic meats in to Canada.

Caseknife

Lil-Rokslider
Really depends on what is happening in each country, such as mad cow, avian bird flu etc. May not get to take homemade jerky, commercial stuff is usually good.