Talk me out of a bivy... Please.

WKR
Looking to out together a light, simple, easy/fast to set up sleep system for elk in Sept (WY). Have a 30* bag and TR xlite pad. I have the seek outside LBO, but it takes a bit to set up/take down, both in space, and time. I want simple and fast, so I can hunt till dark, flop down somewhere to sleep, and pick it back up in the morning to be back after the elk. Mosquitos are a bigger concern than rain/snow in early Sept.

Considering a bivy sack, Aron recommends the BA 3 wire. But most of what I read is about people not liking them...

A UL freestanding tent may also work.

Thoughts?

I don’t have a lot of nights in mine but Bora gets a lot of love here. They built mine to specs in 2.5 weeks. Normal version has a bug net and they have a bug version. It wouldn’t be ideal for what you propose unless you pair it with a tarp.

Copper spur seems to get a lot of votes for UL free standing tent.

I love having a bivy (custom center zip Borah Gear SnowySide eVent bivy) in my sleep system. Keeps my pad and bag all together and possibly affords me a little extra warmth. I always use it when I’m running floorless under a tarp or tipi to make sure I don’t have any bugs or small critters hiding in my sleep system. I’ve so used it in my Copper Spur 2 to keep my sleep system buttoned up together. It’s too versatile for me to leave at home.

Bought and sold a few BA 3wire bivys over the years because I just can’t see taking a 2.5# bivy sack when there are so many other 1 man shelters with lots more room for the same weight or less.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
My lightweight setup is an MLD Patrol tarp duo in cuben, with sack and lines it weighs 13.5oz. Trekking poles to setup. I run it with my Recon bivy, Xlite pad, 20deg quilt, pillow, comes out to about 60oz all in excluding poles.
13.5 tarp
22.5 quilt
1.5 pillow
15.4 pad
7 bivy

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
Tarp pics
a6d28919f693b293e4112334717b02c6.jpg
acc911b7546b0d753604d3e3b1488165.jpg
f60e80891e680e3fe37cb57463812d47.jpg

Idk. I have a couple ultralight backpacking tents (26 and 43 oz) that I can setup in probably 5-7 minutes after only my second or third time using the tent.

I bet if I practiced, I could get it done in less than five minutes. Seems worth it for the extra protection and warmth.

The lightest you can go in a sleep system (and have full storm coverage) is a UL bivy (Borah etc) paired with a DCF tarp (Zpacks hexamid or similar).

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Pro953

WKR
I am always an advocate for the tarptent pro trail. Kind of a spacious bivy. Super fast to setup and break down. Nice and light for a floored tent. Not for everyone but great when you are trying to keep things light.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been using something similar to what sneaky uses.
MLD DCF Solo Patrol tarp with guy lines, and stakes =10.7 oz.
EE quilt=14.5 oz.
small X-Lite pad=8 oz.
Zpacks Solo DCF bathtub floor=3.15 or for complete bug protection a Borah Gear DCF bivy=4.75 oz.

All in a 1.5 oz. HMG DCF pillow stuff sack for a total of 38-39.5 oz.
f358c67426cbe0b7118114099b643eae.jpg

30292e573c33f594831b075cb6945ca7.jpg

This year I'm using the lightest possible set up for bivy style hunting I could find, however I wanted a little more weather protection than say a flat tarp offers. I also wanted to be able to sit upright and have a little room to move around. Here's the sleep system I'm running this season:

Zpacks Pocket Tarp with storm doors - 5.2 oz
Zpacks solo plus bathtub groundsheet - 3.5 oz
Zpacks 30 degree solo quilt - 14 oz
Thermarest Neoair Xlite (Large) - 16 oz

Grand total of: 38.7 ounces or 2.4 pounds

Last edited:
I am always an advocate for the tarptent pro trail. Kind of a spacious bivy. Super fast to setup and break down. Nice and light for a floored tent. Not for everyone but great when you are trying to keep things light.
+1. I tried to make a bivy work but I could never have a good night's sleep in one. At 26oz the Protrail is hard to beat for a floored, fully enclosed single wall shelter. I wouldn't take it if I expected exposed camps with strong winds though.

I love my Protrail and I also think there's a place for a bivy and tarp. Sometimes I want to camp with a view - maybe a view of the basin below, or stars above - and that's when I take the bivy/tarp setup.

The bivy/tarp setup is flexible. One thing I like to do with a bivy/tarp setup is wake up in the AM and put all my camp gear inside the bivy bag and leave it. If bad weather hits while I'm hunting or fly fishing then I can throw up the tarp. Or just throw it up for a shaded lunch break or shaded glassing position.

Jebuwh

Lil-Rokslider
Big Agnes Scout Platinum. I keep almost buying it, I'm sure I'll have one soon enough.

This year I'm using the lightest possible set up for bivy style hunting I could find, however I wanted a little more weather protection than say a flat tarp offers. I also wanted to be able to sit upright and have a little room to move around. Here's the sleep system I'm running this season:

Zpacks Pocket Tarp with storm doors - 5.2 oz
Zpacks solo plus bathtub groundsheet - 3.5 oz
Zpacks 30 degree solo quilt - 14 oz
Thermarest Neoair Xlite (Large) - 16 oz

Grand total of: 38.7 ounces or 2.4 pounds
Cool man I really considered trying that setup. What do you think of the pocket tarp with the doors so far?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

How about the Catoma Burrow? It's a pop-up, weighs about 2 lbs I think (without a fly though - you'd need a fly or a tarp), and sets up in about 1 second (as long as it takes to pull the strap off). They sell to the military, so you know it's hardy. You can get military surplus ones on eBay pretty affordably. I have one, and it feels surprisingly roomy because they really thought about the design - narrow at the feet but nice and wide at the shoulders. Don't get it on Amazon though - reading the reviews, it seems like there are some lower-quality imitators being sold on there. Buy from Catoma directly or a reputable military surplus seller on eBay.

Last edited:

sneaky

"DADDY"
How about the Catoma Burrow? It's a pop-up, weighs about 2 lbs I think (without a fly though - you'd need a fly or a tarp), and sets up in about 1 second (as long as it takes to pull the strap off). They sell to the military, so you know it's hardy. You can get military surplus ones on eBay pretty affordably. I have one, and it feels surprisingly roomy because they really thought about the design - narrow at the feet but nice and wide at the shoulders. Don't get it on Amazon though - reading the reviews, it seems like there are some lower-quality imitators being sold on there. Buy from Catoma directly or a reputable military surplus seller on eBay.
You can get a good ultralight tent that weighs 2lbs that already has a rain fly and way more room. Sure, it'll cost more but you won't be claustrophobic if you get rained in for a day in it.

You can get a good ultralight tent that weighs 2lbs that already has a rain fly and way more room. Sure, it'll cost more but you won't be claustrophobic if you get rained in for a day in it.

I was responding to the OP's mention of "simple and fast," since those seemed to be the major concerns. It doesn't get any faster or simpler than a pop-up, and the Burrow offers miles more room than a bivy, which is what the OP had initially been considering.

Ledd Slinger

Lil-Rokslider
I use a ultralight Cabelas 2 man tent. That way theres enough room for all of my gear and rifle or bow to stay inside the tent with me which is nice when the ground is wet. The mesh is extremely fine so gnats and mosquitoes can't get inside. Has a full coverage rain fly as well for when the weather turns or to stay warmer in the cold. I like leaving the top off during summer scouting trips and early fall hunting so I can fall asleep watching the sky. Only 2 external poles to slap together then attach the hooks so it's a super fast setup and takedown. Rain fly goes on and off really fast too. Packs up very compact for easy backpacking. Total kit weighs a little over 4 lbs. Pretty good for a 2 man tent with plenty of room, a waterproof bottom, full rain fly, and storage bag.

Cant remember exactly, but I want to say it cost me around $150. Awesome tent for the money. No regrets or bad things to say about it at all.

That's a 4880 cubic inch backpack sitting in there on top of my -20 deg lightweight mummy bag and Neo Air mattress. Nice having enough room to get dressed out of the weather without struggling, yet not being too heavy to pack.

20190827_194958.jpg

20190827_203634.jpg

Last edited: