Talk me out of a bivy... Please.

Jimss

WKR
Wow....as mentioned above....you can lead a mule/horse to water....but? Down bag plus bivy sounds like a spooky combo.....just asking for trouble!

I've had excellent success over the years using the fly off my 4 season Hilleberg tent for light weight backpacking. With painter's plastic/tyvek floor it is literally bomber-proof. I've had mine in super high wind, rain, and even snow and had 0 problems. The walls of the fly come completely to the ground so no worries about leakage. There is gobs and gobs of room for gear plus plenty of room in the vestibule to dry clothes and cook.

If you want lots of room, literally 0 condensation, and something designed for extreme conditions....consider a Hilleberg fly. The nice thing is you can use the inner tent plus footprint in winter conditions.

This year I'm using the lightest possible set up for bivy style hunting I could find, however I wanted a little more weather protection than say a flat tarp offers. I also wanted to be able to sit upright and have a little room to move around. Here's the sleep system I'm running this season:

Zpacks Pocket Tarp with storm doors - 5.2 oz
Zpacks solo plus bathtub groundsheet - 3.5 oz
Zpacks 30 degree solo quilt - 14 oz
Thermarest Neoair Xlite (Large) - 16 oz

Grand total of: 38.7 ounces or 2.4 pounds
Wow, just saw this. I built exactly the same system, except I have a WM Sycamore MF, which is 24 oz. I'm a roller and prefer a bag, but this one can be fully unzipped and used as a quilt if I get hot, with or without a footbox.

Wow, just saw this. I built exactly the same system, except I have a WM Sycamore MF, which is 24 oz. I'm a roller and prefer a bag, but this one can be fully unzipped and used as a quilt if I get hot, with or without a footbox.

Clip that bathtub floor up inside the pocket tarp, and your golden! Full protection from both above and below. Different setup here, but the same concept.
51d16e44a3a01dcd16c6c90ed88f3988.jpg

738c5213dce80f9defa8b8052b57e04c.jpg
a1d6b76bddbd79c3576ee25f72b409ba.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk