Tall guys hiking pants

widnert

Lil-Rokslider
It used to be fairly easy to just order based on waist and inseam size. But in the last 5 years there has been a shift in men's pant manufacturing, and if you were to lay today's 34x36's on top of 5+ year's ago 34x36's, today's will be quite a bit shorter.

The rise (measurement from top of pants to the crotch) on my old hunting pants is 12" and they have a true 38" inseam from crotch to the bottom of the pant legs for overall measurement of 50". Heck, even my shorts, dress pants, and other pants have a 12" rise.

But every newer pant I've tried in the last 5 years has had a 9-10" rise, and even with a true 36" inseam, those pants are 4-5" shorter than what I really need. That doesn't help at all. If they had the regular 12" rise they'd at least be close, but shortening the rise doesn't help Talls at all.

Quick suggestion for you on this problem. I was frustrated with it too. I have found, for day-to-day jeans/shorts/hiking pants that Wrangler actually still cuts theirs with the proper rise for me. They are the most comfortable and the ones I buy exclusively. Of course they have some more modern styles but, I stick with the plain jeans/shorts/hiking pants and they fit properly. Might give those a look.

Hunting pants are a whole other story. I've settled on Pnuma at the moment and currently outfitting myself with their gear. I've tried on just about all the other manufacturers pants and the ones from Pnuma are the best fitting for me (6'4" - 270lbs). Kryptek being a close second.

Desert Dan

Lil-Rokslider
For some reason a lot of people comment that it must be nice to be tall. My reply is usually it's all fun and games until you have to buy pants. I find one pair that fits right and then I buy like five of them. And hunting/hiking pants are particularly bad because so many companies do generic sizes which usually end up too short or too big in the waist if you can find the right length. As a couple guys have already mentioned, the First Lite Corrugate Guide Pants work really well. They're light, they fit loose and are plenty long which is what I want. I also like Carhartt relaxed fit something or others. They fit well if you don't need them to be light. For reference I'm 6'4" and wear a 34x36 or 36x36 depending on which brand. XLT in FL and 36x36 in Carhartt. Carhartts you can usually get for around $40 on Amazon. FL not so much but I've been very happy with them and I hunt southern Arizona aka "cactusland." So far they've held up.