Target Panic and Shot Execution in Bowhunting, By Andy May

TAS95

FNG
I think a tension release is a great learning tool (especially early on) and, yes you can hunt with it too. Takes some getting use to and some discipline but I know a few guys that use it for hunting. Most however, seem to use it as a tool to learn a good "pull through" execution and an unanticipated shot and then switch back over to to a thumb style or index release. If archers were taught with that type of release right from the beginning I don't think target panic would be a thing. It's those crappy index finger releases 90% of us learned on that was the culprit.
Thanks brother. Definitely want to get out in front of it than take years of fixing

mtn_man

FNG
Haven't had target panic issues with an index finger release since I learned to shoot one with back tension many years ago.
Back tension has also helped me tremendously in a relatively short time span! I use a UV button release, but I can focus almost entirely on applying back tension and my brain just holds the pin where it needs to be.

There was a caveat that I noticed though. I was still panicking when I had to mentally range the target on the fly (stalk hunting). For some reason, I was having a hard time switching my brain from estimating range to the muscle memory of the back tension shot with my release. So I started doing cardio-intensive drills running from my target to a random spot in my backyard > doing the range estimation > taking the shot. It's definitely helped me develop my overall shot "flow".

Excellent article

I never had target panic prior to shooting recurves, then I went all in on recurves for awhile and got almost crippling target panic with all weapons

I had to change a lot of things, and this article articulates the problem/solution well

Determination has to lead the way no matter what, and I doubt I will ever be able to go mindlessly fling arrows like I used to, but that’s fine, I will do whatever I have to because full blown target panic takes a lot of the fun out of shooting, and even hunting, when your confidence is low, which makes the whole problem much bigger

There is some very good advice in that article, and those who have never fought target panic, count your blessings, because it sucks, and I hope you never do

I have found I shoot a thumb release better than a trigger style. I've hunted with a trigger style for along time and I developed target panic and haven't been able to settle it with the trigger release. This article is extremely helpful and will hopefully help me in my endeavor to get back on track with my trigger release.

Thanks for a good article. I’m dealing with target panic and I switched over to a thumb release. That seemed to help, but hasn’t stopped it completely. I’m going to try focusing on the shooting sequence that you suggested.
I was thinking that my panic was due to my aging eyes causing a lot of starburst and blurry pins. Do you think a smaller peep sight will help or hurt? I’ve read lately that some guys suggest a smaller peep helps with pin clarity. That doesn’t make sense to me but I’m willing to try anything.