Dealing with disrespectful hunters...

OP
S

steiney42

FNG
That's a bad deal. I wouldn't have let the guy that I didn't know involve himself by spotting for me. After he screwed you over I probably would have just done the same as you otherwise it's just a fight with knives and bows involved.
yeah, I am usually pretty secretive about stuff like that, but the guy seemed nice and respectful at the time. Obviously looking back it was a dumb decision, but lesson learned...

and as for going down and confronting him, I figured if I went down there one of us was most likely not coming back out of that canyon.

JNDEER

WKR
Specially that. Nope- but plenty of other questionable incidents from disrespectful hunters.

If what you say is true- I would find a new hunting spot.

My perspective is just that, but I would have said something. Confrontation is generally a good thing and doesn’t mean you are trying to pick a fight, but it at least shows you didn’t approve of his actions

I don’t blame you, because people today don’t possess accountability and get defensive because that’s the only reaction they can have since they have zero accountability… he would probably twist it around and somehow make it your fault that he had to do it, because people like that are so self centered and delusional that that’s the only way their brain works.

I would have still said something. There are more and more tool bags in the woods every year, and another thing we have to adapt to because they aren’t going away…. Society pushes lack of accountability like it’s virtue, it’s gross

I do wish people had some respect, but it’s getting more rare, and there are many factors at play, and not getting better, and is something we will all encounter.

Having had a buck shot out from underneath me, and having had a pistol drawn on me mid-stalk, both while trying to be cordial to other Public Land Hunters, I try not to even let other hunters know I'm there anymore, let alone tell them anything besides pure lies.

I ran across some guys once that had driven an ATV into a wilderness area, then shot a nice bull. At the kill site they took minimum amount of meat and left used nitrile gloves, rags, and trash everywhere.

Some people are just pieces of shit, some of those people are also hunters. I just try to not be one myself.

Such a shame when fellas like that get flat tires.

jjrgr21

Lil-Rokslider
Had 2 ass hats on youth turkey day, no kids with them. Start owl calling at a tom that was headed for my 9yo son. Big tom too, I wigged out mainly because my son and I had done tons of leg work to locate them in the weeks before, kid was so disappointed, and it keeps nda ruined him on hunting.

rclouse79

WKR
I would have tailed him back to his rig at a far distance and took a picture of his license plate number. Then I would have tracked him down, slit his tires and poured sugar water in his gas tank. If I didn't feel better by that point, I would burn his house down.
Just kidding. You probably made the smart call.

amassi

WKR
Gonna go against the grain here
I would have tried to talk to them, calmly. Maybe there was a miscommunication and he thought you were trying to tag team them. Then, calmly, ask him never fling an arrow over/near someone’s head again. Might save someone’s life.

You learned not to share too much

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Weldor

WKR
I think we are using the wrong word here. Hunter? No. The days of respect and sportsmanship are fading. Some how it has become a competition for some.

I’m amazed you had a stranger join your stalk. I tell folks where I’m headed so we can maybe stay out of each others way, but beyond that, it’s been slow, not seeing much.

Should have talked to him. Maybe it was someone else who just happened to be there or something else happened that you never saw. Maybe he saw a different buck. Maybe he is posting somewhere else that you are a total prick who just bailed on him and never talked to him. Who knows what really happened?

Most times I think I know everything and pissed about it, there is some part I’m missing that at least partly explains or justifies the other person’s actions. I’ll guarantee if this other guy could come here and tell his side of the story it would sound different and if you would have communicated with him afterwards you wouldn’t be here posting this.