Tarp camping ?s

I just finished Aron's new article and I have a few questions for everyone on here that uses a tarp. For those that use one do you always use a bivy underneath the tarp or just like you would in a tent. I am nervous for the floorless idea but I have wanted to try it for a while. I tried a DIY tarp and it failed. Thanks everyone in advance.

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I've never used a bivy under a tarp. If your tarp seals to the ground I think it's just extra weight.

It has its advantages, but I'd rather use a tarp alone.

No I never use a bivy. But 90% of my camping is done in Colorado where it is pretty dry. There is nothing to be scared off with floorless. Its the only way to go as far as I am concerned.

I might also add that I call the super tarp a "tarp" but when pitched all the way to the ground. It isn't really a "tarp" but more of a tent. If using the supertarp pitched in a flat configuration the bivy would be nice.

Last edited:
Before I got my golite hut 1 I used just a lightweight 8x10 tarp with grommets and some p-cord. I stayed in that in heavy rain and 15 inches of snow one time and it worked fine without a bivy. I did use a small tent footprint under my pad to protect it. I just had to be wise about how and where I set it up.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I use a bivy when not using a nest to protect my down bag as well as get away from the bugs. The 6 oz is worth the extra insurance for me.

Don't get me wrong there are still time/places that I will take a floored tent too. Sometimes having a true bathtub floor is still a must, but by and large I use a floorless most of the time.

I generally do not use a bivy, although I did just start using one so I can get used to it for a supposedly "buggy" hunting area this year.
So far no problems with or without the bivy, in most instances I prefer the floorless design.

Slim Jim

WKR
I use a bivy when not using a nest to protect my down bag as well as get away from the bugs. The 6 oz is worth the extra insurance for me.

That's exactly the way I'm going this year. If solo I'll go with just fly and bug bivy and if I go with a buddy he can carry the nest

Eagle

WKR
Same as most everyone else. I use the bivy if it's buggy or if it's raining, otherwise, I use my bivy as a barrier between my pad and the ground if the bugs aren't out.

I use a homemade tarp without a bivy and have had no problems.

But I also run a Kifaru slick bag which sheds water and dries out very well.

Rizzy

WKR
I don't even own a bivy :) Just a Supertarp is all I use in Rain, Snow, Sleet, or Moonlight. In a light rain or snow, which is the most common in the rocky mountains most of the time, you will be surprised with what you can get away with as far as setting up the shelter.

what kind of DIY tarp did you try?

I run a Paratarp and a Ti-Goat bivy. I have been running tarps and bivy combo for years. More room and lots lighter. I always use a bivy just to keep my down bag dry just in case there that side ways thunder storm blowing while you are out hunting. Had one of those just two weeks ago in Hells Canyon on Spring Bear. Hail was blowing on the ridge we were bivyed on sideways. I just zipped up the bivy and kept a small opening to breathe and was fine untill it blew over. I had my para tarp set up pretty high and was to lazy to lowe it down for more protection.With the ti-goat bivy and para tarp i am right at 1 pound for both.

OP
WyoBowhunter21
I don't even own a bivy :) Just a Supertarp is all I use in Rain, Snow, Sleet, or Moonlight. In a light rain or snow, which is the most common in the rocky mountains most of the time, you will be surprised with what you can get away with as far as setting up the shelter.

what kind of DIY tarp did you try?

If you go under the DIY section I have a thread of my design. I still have the plans but when I was getting ready to purchase the material and noticed that it was getting extremely expensive. It turned out to be the same price as purchasing a new one. Do you ever get wet inside the tarp?

OP
WyoBowhunter21
No I never use a bivy. But 90% of my camping is done in Colorado where it is pretty dry. There is nothing to be scared off with floorless. Its the only way to go as far as I am concerned.

I might also add that I call the super tarp a "tarp" but when pitched all the way to the ground. It isn't really a "tarp" but more of a tent. If using the supertarp pitched in a flat configuration the bivy would be nice.

I would probably always pitch it in the "tent" like way. I really like the super tarp and mega tarp. The way its pitched in the picture you posted. How do you prevent from getting wet when it rains. Do you have a problem with bugs or other pests coming into the tent?

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
Straight Tarp for me here also. I use a Mountainsmith Mountain LT Shelter. Its 53 Square feet of space and you pitch it with your trekking poles. I always have a Metal sided tarp on the ground in case we get rain and it also reflect heat back into the tent. Works great. I have never had an issue with the 5 times Ive slept in it with anything creepy crawly but Im also in Colorado we are pretty high alt and arrid here. So not a lot comes wandering in the tent. I also utilize 2 pads. A foam thermarest and a REI 2.5 inch sleeping pad. so Im well off the ground. Even if I where to get water into my area Id float away before I got wet =-).

cmeier117

WKR
I ran a Supertarp last year and will run a mega this year. I live in Oregon and its really wet here so I was either going to get a piece of tyvek or a bivy to keep things neat and clean and dry. I opted for a ti goat bivy. This year I will run the bugaboo 2 bivy. I love tarps, getting wet when pitched how Justin shows is just not an option. These tarps from Kifaru are bomb proof and water tight. Also if you pitch on wet ground it will dry out surprisingly quick in my experience. Bugs inho come and go, but in a normal tent they come and stay.

Rizzy

WKR
I've never had any issues with water seeping in or even blowing in. My first season using the Supertarp, and tarps altogether, I always used the annex which basically turns it into a fully enclosed floorless shelter. Now I don't even use the annex unless I'm setting up the stove. There is a lot of room in the Supertarp and you can get back in away from the front far enough to escape the weather as long as you don't pitch the front on the windward side.

Bugs are a limited problem in my area, they are only an issue in the canyon bottoms and creek bottoms. Up on the ridges away from water they aren't an issue for me. I leave my food and trash in my shelter and mice like to rummage through it at night sometimes, but it doesn't bother me, they don't bite or sting.

One thing that helps out with the weather issue is to check the weather forecasts in the first place and plan accordingly if possible. Tarps are not the best for every region, but for the rockies they work great.

A cheap way to test drive a tarp to see if you like it is to get one of those big blue tarps from the home store for about 20$. There is youtube videos on how to pitch it, give it a try. Set up in your backyard and turn on the sprinklers ;)

Lawnboi

WKR
A lot of the pluses of the tarp/ bivy have been said already.

But the tarp bivy is very a very versatile setup. You can set it up anywhere almost. And in a number of ways depending on the weather.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I've slept under just a tarp during some pretty bad storms in Washington and have never had a problem getting wet. I've never used a bivy and I use a down bag.

This year I'm using a really small cuben fiber tarp and a bivy.

Foldem

WKR
3 of us in an sl-5 this past weekend in SE Idaho. We got a little wet but it was from the condensation getting sprayed on us when the hail and big raindrops pounded us. It was just enough to annoy us, but the stove dried the sleeping bags right out in the morning. I plan on getting a ti-goat bivy for future trips with similar conditions.