Tarp, Tipi, Tent's for Winter Outings.

coOverwatch

Lil-Rokslider
With my hunting adventures now over for the year I am starting to gear up for some winter outings here in CO and trying to determine what the best setup will be and one that will give me a wide range of use without compromising safety and comfort.

The plan is to do some overnight snowshoeing and need a shelter that will handle wind and snow. I would like the ability to have a stove as that might get my wife to stay out overnight, or at least one of the kids.

Not sure if one of the Tarps would be a viable choice as they are of single wall construction and appear that they would not take much of snow load however they do have the ability to run a stove.

Tipi’s I have hear will handle some wind but again not sure how they will do with snow and wind. Again with the tipi’s you have the ability to run a stove so that is a plus.

I have also been looking at some of the tunnel tents, Hilleberg keron 3 gt or Kaitum 2 GT. Although these do not have a stove I think one could modify the vestibule with a stove jack.

I have a tendency to listen to the GIF and over purchase with the idea that I better have it “Just in case”. I am not sure if that is what I am doing with regards to having a stove. This could be handled with the addition of a smaller tarp in my pack to block any wind and build a fire outside the tent, sort of a “Fly Camp” setup with the addition of a 4 season tent to sleep in or get into If the weather turns nasty.

Also, if anyone knows of a place where one could rent some of the gear to try out that would be great. I live where the wind and snow blows and would be a great way to test the gear.

Anyway what are your thoughts? Also, any pic’s of your winter camps would be great.

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
Hey man, My Tipi is enroute back from Cali from Craig who used for his 10 day hunt. When I get it back you are more then welcome to come on down and try mine out. I will PM you my Telephone number we can get together and you and the wife can do a overnight in it or something. We can work the Details out over the Phone. Im in Littleton, Co so not to far from you.

James

OP
C

coOverwatch

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks SHTF. I work in the DTC and live out in Elizabeth so that is not to far away.

Last year on the winter hike with Aron and a few others from Rock slide we stayed in an 8 man (I think). plenty of room but weather was calm.
I was a bit cold but that was due to my sleeping setup, which has been upgraded.

I have winter camped with just a cheap blue tarp from Home Depot, not as cool as a wood heated tent or tipi, but it's doable. We rode out a pretty harsh Montana snow storm under tarps, temps got down to 10 and it snowed for 12 hours. Not something you should do unless your clothing and sleep system is rock solid.

That being said, for a wood heated light weight shelter for one or two people I would go with a Sawtooth or the improved Back Country Shelter before I would get one of the smaller Tipis.

Snowtrekker makes some light weight canvas tents that can be heated that are pretty nice. Much heavier than the Sil-nylon tipis, but condensation issues aren't so bad.

If you don't care about having wood heat, then the Hillberg's are top of the heap for 4 seasons tents. One nice thing about the Hillbergs is many of them are free standing, which can be a real problem with tipis in deep snow, not impossible, but it takes more effort to stake them down.

The first thing to do is ask some questions.

Wood heat?

Light weight?

How light?

How many people?

Budget?

The answer to those questions will get you pointed in the right direction.

OP
C

coOverwatch

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks ElkHunter, I have not come across Snowtrekker before. I do have a 14' x 17' canvas tent with Colorado cylinder stove. I use this as my base camp. Almost like a hotel. The smaller sizes of the snowtrekker are a little heavy at 20lbs to toss into my pack but I do like the idea of Canvas. Didn’t really think on pulling a pulk behind but that could be a means to carry more weight.

I thought of the Sawtooth but not sure how it would do in the wind or snow.

For heat it would primarily be wood as propane puts a little moisture in the air.
Weight I am up in the air. Would like to be able to toss it in my pack and go. Would also like to be able to toss it in some saddle bags when I take the horses out. Less weight means less horses and hassles.

I guess budget will be what it is. I don’t mind spending money to get top gear. More money doesn’t always equate to better gear.