Tarptent vs. Golite

jm1607

WKR
Trying to decide between a Tarptent Rainshadow 2 and Golite Imogene UL3.. Was set on the Imogene till a friend mentioned Tarptents.. The specs, weight, and price seem to be very similar although I could buy a Tarptent soon and the Imogene has been out of stock forever..

I just haven't used either of these companies products and was mainly wondering about overall durability.. Anyone with any first hand experience?

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I have owned two Tarp tents (Cloudburst 2 and Rainbow 2) they are very nice niche tents for sure. The 10D silnylon of the Imogene would have me concerned about durability. The 15D sil of the Shangri-la tipis they make has been stout and stood up to a lot of weather, but I certainly wouldn't want to go 10D in fabric.

• Banned
OP
jm1607

jm1607

WKR
I have owned two Tarp tents (Cloudburst 2 and Rainbow 2) they are very nice niche tents for sure. The 10D silnylon of the Imogene would have me concerned about durability. The 15D sil of the Shangri-la tipis they make has been stout and stood up to a lot of weather, but I certainly wouldn't want to go 10D in fabric.

That does seem super light, especially since the tarptent appears to be made of 30D..

I have a Rainshadow and it has stood up to weather that I thought was going to tear it apart. I would recommend them any day.

Stresd

FNG
I have a Rainshadow and it has stood up to weather that I thought was going to tear it apart. I would recommend them any day.

The same goes for my Stratospire 2 that I bought from Henry of Tarptents. Awesome tent!!! My experience has been great products with excellent service.

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
10D is pretty light. Not sure on Luke's SL but they have used a lot of different fabrics from 30d on down and epic in the SL tents. It really depends on which run. The 30d tarp tent uses will handle abuse but likely has a lower waterproof rating than the golite which generally run 3000 mm but have been as low as 1200 on certain runs. For me, 1200 is about the minimum for a real storm. I've been there, done that, tested and resolved.

OP
jm1607

jm1607

WKR
Well damn, guess that's settled lol.. Glad I asked!

Rainshadow 2 inbound!

I've got a notch which served well in montana for the season,i would just get longer stakes when I return

luke moffat

Super Moderator
10D is pretty light. Not sure on Luke's SL but they have used a lot of different fabrics from 30d on down and epic in the SL tents. It really depends on which run. The 30d tarp tent uses will handle abuse but likely has a lower waterproof rating than the golite which generally run 3000 mm but have been as low as 1200 on certain runs. For me, 1200 is about the minimum for a real storm. I've been there, done that, tested and resolved.

Sl-5s have only been made in 15D and epic....The SL-2, SL-4, SL-6, and SL-8 are all 30D...still have my SL-8....Awesome tent for the weight for sure!!! :)

Rocky

WKR
I have the scrape 1. It is a solid tent that provides excellent protection for minimum weight (2.75 lbs I think). It also has a dual vestibule which is a huge plus.

Rocky

WKR
I have the scrape 1. It is a solid tent that provides excellent protection for minimum weight (2.75 lbs I think). It also has a dual vestibule which is a huge plus. I have used it for three seasons and the tent is still in really good shape.