Taxidermy suggestions

Marble

WKR
Just Google search elk mount positions.

The biggest problem people run into is space. Close to 4' off the wall and up to 6' tall.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Vaultman

WKR
Just Google search elk mount positions.

The biggest problem people run into is space. Close to 4' off the wall and up to 6' tall.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
TRUE! I had my bull in a basement (low ceiling). the bottom of the neck was about 2' off the floor and the antlers were inches from the ceiling. And it stuck out way into the room. My mom bumped it in the middle of the night, and it swung on the bolt, and semi-trapped her between the antlers and the guest bed. I still hear about that pretty regularly.

As for types of mounts, if you consider having a tuned head obviously have it turned the correct direction for your room, but also think about if you plan on moving. If you are in your forever or really long term house then it wont matter so much. Mine had to move locations and the direction it was turned isn't great for the new location.

Definitely think about the location it will be at in the room. It needs to facing out into the room and not looking at a wall. A semi sneak 1/4 turn is a nice look. 90 degree bugling is nice as well. McKenzie makes a nice semi sneak with a slight offset shoulder. HQ makes a nice elk manikin as well. Jetz taxidermy supply has a nice wall pedestal for an elk which is hard to find for an elk mount.

These are all semi sneak except for the one bugling bull. They are all a slight off set shoulder as well. I used to have many more pics but started deleting them when I closed my taxidermy shop down.

Attachments

• 9E105A4D-2FDF-4FD0-BCEB-CAD3E05AE080.jpeg
    9E105A4D-2FDF-4FD0-BCEB-CAD3E05AE080.jpeg
    147.3 KB · Views: 115
  • 4735E976-198C-40A8-AE63-F907DE19477E.jpeg
    4735E976-198C-40A8-AE63-F907DE19477E.jpeg
    241.8 KB · Views: 115
OP
C

cbat

Lil-Rokslider
These are all semi sneak except for the one bugling bull. They are all a slight off set shoulder as well. I used to have many more pics but started deleting them when I closed my taxidermy shop down.
Man that is a seriously nice mule deer. We have lots of mounts in our house, But my bride is looking for some other ideas for this elk.

cgasner1

WKR
Have mine done on a old pack frame with the cape rolled up Under the neck the frame hangs on a log

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, that mule deer is a remount. It belongs to a customer that inherited it from his grandfather. It was shot in an area that is now covered by a lake. The original cape was bleached white from the sun as it hung next to a window. For some reason, taxidermists years ago would apply a clear coat on the antlers and over time it would turn yellow. I had to strip all that crap off, recolor the antlers, and use a new cape.

rootacres

WKR
Google some elk images. Semi-sneak and full-sneak options buy you a little bit of wall space. This pic was my first bull from 2020 and is a semi-sneak. The bull I took this year I am doing a full-sneak. The wifey isnt nuts about the idea of putting my taxidermy in our perfect (for mounts) living room with 18' ceilings, so to the basement they go.

IMG_2D5510051134-1.jpeg

Google some elk images. Semi-sneak and full-sneak options buy you a little bit of wall space. This pic was my first bull from 2020 and is a semi-sneak. The bull I took this year I am doing a full-sneak. The wifey isnt nuts about the idea of putting my taxidermy in our perfect (for mounts) living room with 18' ceilings, so to the basement they go.

View attachment 466856

It may be time to find a new wife.

rootacres

WKR
It may be time to find a new wife.

Yeah, I cant complain much. Im 32, been on 6 outfitted hunts, 3 public land DIY hunts plus my annual archery whitetail hunting I do here in the midwest. The next house/property we buy will have room for her horses and a man cave / gun vault / bar / trophy room for me. All in good time. She's pretty good about my hunting addiction.

OP
C

cbat

Lil-Rokslider
Why a new wife ? She has as many or more mounts in the house than I do. Including a life size black bear . Numerous mule deer and whitetails and oryx, aoudad . She just asked for some imput on the elk. We have a couple elk euro mounts but this will be a shoulder mount. We are currently moose hunting in N Idaho for her oil moose.