Tent Advice - Truck Camping

You didn't ask, but consider getting a hub screen shelter like the Clam Quick Escape. They set up in a few seconds and work fantastic for a cook shelter when its buggy
I just went on a trip where someone brought a similar item; I think it was called a Gazelle Portable Gazebo. I laughed when I first saw it, but they are actually super nice for bugs and bad weather. Much nicer than the pop up canopy I sometimes use. If I was starting out truck camping and had a couple hundred extra bucks, id invest in one.

You will not fit everyone in a 2 person tent and will go crazy having your kids and wife in a 4 person tent. I go tent camping with my wife and 2 daughters a lot and we have the North Face Wawona 6 and it has been a good tent. Its really roomy with a large vestibule for cooking and sitting if it rains. I used it hunting for 5 days last week and it worked well. It catches the wind kind of bad though so you need to put down a lot of guy lines.

IMG_3291.JPG

pirogue

WKR
Another vote for the Cabela’s Alaskan Guide 6 man dome. I’ve put it up by myself in the winds of WY. You learn to use duct tape to stick the poles on the pins so they don’t slip out while your putting them up.

You learn to use duct tape to stick the poles on the pins so they don’t slip out while your putting them up.
That’s some quality advice right there.

How do you keep the ends of the poles from filling up with dirt and rocks and stuff?

pirogue

WKR
That’s some quality advice right there.

How do you keep the ends of the poles from filling up with dirt and rocks and stuff?
It’s important to stake the tent first, then tape the pole around the pin ring. Then when you go grab the other end of the pole, the taped end doesn’t move around.

for festivals and car camping, i use an REI 6 person Grand Hut that i bought at their garage sale event. they sell returned gear and floor/display models at reduced price - with the reason for return written on tag. mine was a display with no stakes so very good deal. if you are car camping just about anything will do. walmart's ozark trail tent or a coleman will do just fine if you're not seeking longevity.

Wheels

WKR
I have a Cabela’s Alaskan Guide 6 man and a Cabela’s Alaknak 12x12. If I’m camping solo the 6 man goes, if there’s 2 or more the Alaknak goes. I’m not sleeping on the floor if at all possible, setup is about the same, actually the Alaknak I can set up faster solo.
I think for a family of 4, the Alaknak is a great choice.