Tentipi Safirflex 15 Tent Review

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
IMG_6632.jpeg

Hey Roksliders.

If you’ve been here a while, you might remember my 2017 review of the Tentipi Safir 9 tent. Easy set-up, low low condensation issues, and warm—was happy with it.

So when I found out I’d be setting up camp alone this year, (Tipi tents are much easier to set up than traditional wall tents) I reached out to Mansfield Outdoors (Rokslide advertiser) to see what was available. They have a 15 man version so I had owner Tom Mansfield send me a loaner.

@Travis Hobbs and I used it on a 9-day hunt recently in a bunch of weather conditions from cold to warm & wet to dry. Like the 9-man, you can build an open fire in these tents if you want, but with the 15-man, you can turn the entire tent into a big canopy covering over 500 square feet too. We didn’t use that option, but it’s there if you need it and makes the Safirflex 15 the most versatile tent I know of.

More info at Mansfield Outdoors here

Here is the final video review:

IMG_6634.jpeg

Last edited:
Damn, Robby set up camp himself. I'm just wondering if he pacjed up camp byhimself also. I mean, if he did, I need to start hunting with Robby 😆. I've usued a simular 13 foot canvas tipi, they are awesome. They don't have the usable space of a wall tent (given comparable footprint) . But with that reduced volume, they are quicker to heat, which means they take less to heat and maintain such warmth. I'm surprised they haven't become popular quicker.

SW hunter

Lil-Rokslider
For 2 guys, did the size 15 seem like overkill? How many cots do you think you could fit comfortably?

I think a 9 is fine for 2 cots and a stove and small woodpile and boots and clothes. With 3 cots and a stove its doable but its too cramped to be convenient.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Damn, Robby set up camp himself. I'm just wondering if he pacjed up camp byhimself also. I mean, if he did, I need to start hunting with Robby 😆. I've usued a simular 13 foot canvas tipi, they are awesome. They don't have the usable space of a wall tent (given comparable footprint) . But with that reduced volume, they are quicker to heat, which means they take less to heat and maintain such warmth. I'm surprised they haven't become popular quicker.
😂ya Travis just took his sweet time getting to camp. AND he left before I took it down lol. But we knew that was the plan and one big reason I wanted to run the tipi so I could handle it myself.

Agreed on the usable space. In that 20’ diameter, you could stand in a 9’x9’ area.
And heating is more efficient.👊

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
For 2 guys, did the size 15 seem like overkill? How many cots do you think you could fit comfortably?

I think a 9 is fine for 2 cots and a stove and small woodpile and boots and clothes. With 3 cots and a stove its doable but its too cramped to be convenient.
A little bit overkill. When I got a hold of Mansfield and he mentioned a 15, I thought it would just be way too much. But Tentipi doesn’t make anything between the 9 and the 15.

But if you’re just road camping and you’re not trying to save on weight, that 15 is really nice.

And yes, you could put another guy in there and still have decent room to move around in. I know some guys who’d run 4 guys in this thing but I don’t like it that crowded.

I had the 9 and it would be OK for two guys but for a big long hunt like that one was I was sure glad for the extra space. But yes, you could make a 9 work and they’re a lot cheaper. If you look at about seven minutes in the video a link pops up to my old review on the 9 man if you want to watch it.

TX_Diver

WKR
Haven't watched the video yet, so if it's covered in there then just ignore this.

If you have a group of 2-3 what are the biggest advantages of something like this over a wall tent? At $5,500 you can have a pretty nice wall tent setup with stove, etc.?

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Haven't watched the video yet, so if it's covered in there then just ignore this.

If you have a group of 2-3 what are the biggest advantages of something like this over a wall tent? At $5,500 you can have a pretty nice wall tent setup with stove, etc.?
The price is restrictive for sure.

Until you get time to watch the video

---huge tent that one person can set up.
---due to steep walls, doesn't need tarping to keep water out
---more efficient heating than a wall tent
---can build a fire on the floor for heating in a pinch.
---for this particular tent, the "Flex" in the title means it turns into an open canopy too--think summer camping, rendezvous with lots of people, airflow

LionHead

WKR
How are you adding an non tentipi (Eldfell) stove to the Tipi?

i.e. 4 dog or cylinder stove.
Seems like the non Conus stove prefer to ad a heat shield, but how does one ad a heat shield to a 5" diameter pipe and still fit in the chimney?

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
How are you adding an non tentipi (Eldfell) stove to the Tipi?

i.e. 4 dog or cylinder stove.
Seems like the non Conus stove prefer to ad a heat shield, but how does one ad a heat shield to a 5" diameter pipe and still fit in the chimney?
The cap on the tipi opens up way more than 5 inches, but I would want to refer you to @Mansfield Outdoors to make sure there isn’t a stove jack install available to make an exact fit.

LionHead

WKR
Thanks, I spoke with him and I was left with the impression the stove pipe opening went to 5" wide

I guess what I'm looking for is the max diameter heat shield that would fit, assuming a telescoping pipe that goes from 5" to 4", could I get away with a 5" pipe mounted as a heat shield or if 6" diameter shield is needed would that still fit the safir/zirkon 15

The more I research the tentipi the more it looks like a good replacement for a traditional wall tent base camp that can be 1-4 man groups. I'm Just not looking forward to spending another $1000+ on a new stove when the 4 dog "little dog" works very well.

Thanks for the insight

Myles

Last edited:
OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks, I spoke with him and I was left with the impression the stove pipe opening went to 5" wide

I guess what I'm looking for is the max diameter heat shield that would fit, assuming a telescoping pipe that goes from 5" to 4", could I get away with a 5" pipe mounted as a heat shield or if 6" diameter shield is needed would that still fit the safir/zirkon 15

The more I research the tentipi the more it looks like a good replacement for a traditional wall tent in for base camp setups. I'm Just not looking forward to spending another $1000+ on a new stove when the 4 dog "little dog" works very well.

Thanks for the incite

Myles
I wish I knew more on the application. I can only vouch for "good tent!" and I ran their Safir 9 with their open firebox and it worked. Just need dry wood! so an enclosed stove would be best.

LionHead

WKR
Thanks Robby

As with all this type of gear, it's almost impossible to get hands on experience before making an expensive purchase.

So I appreciate all the time and effort in making the videos and answering questions.

I'll be in contact with Mansfield outdoors and Don K at 4 Dog stoves. I'll post back when I have a solution

Myles

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks Robby

As with all this type of gear, it's almost impossible to get hands on experience before making an expensive purchase.

So I appreciate all the time and effort in making the videos and answering questions.

I'll be in contact with Mansfield outdoors and Don K at 4 Dog stoves. I'll post back when I have a solution

Myles
Thank you Myles. We’d love to hear what you decide.

hydroyeti

FNG
I have been running the 15 man safir and edfel stove since 2020. With my wife, 4 small kids, and two dogs it's the perfect size. Expensive for sure! My rational for splurging on one was it's way cheaper then a travel trailer and it lets you camp further into rugged terrain vs pulling a travel trailer. I bought a used Expedition and a 18 foot deck over (for the added ground clearance) aluminum flat bed and I feel like I have the perfect setup to go where I need with the family and easily haul atvs and all the camping equipment I need. We got the floor option and we sleep on air mattresses no cots.

The only requirement for the stove is that you have enough stove pipe to reach the 6" diameter approximatly stove pipe opening near the top of the tipi. It's probably 12 - 15 feet high. Also the stove pipe needs a section of double wall where it passes through the opening so you don't burn the canvas. The double wall is the cage loooking thing in the photo surrounding the chimney pipe below the spark arrestor cage. Other than that any old wood stove will work fine.

The advantage of the tipi over a wall tent is that it holds up in high winds like a champ. We've had the thing up in hellacious 50 mile an hour constant wind and it was fine. And you can set it up single handedly like Robie said. You are pounding a heck of a lot stakes though.
1706450966728.png

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I have been running the 15 man safir and edfel stove since 2020. With my wife, 4 small kids, and two dogs it's the perfect size. Expensive for sure! My rational for splurging on one was it's way cheaper then a travel trailer and it lets you camp further into rugged terrain vs pulling a travel trailer. I bought a used Expedition and a 18 foot deck over (for the added ground clearance) aluminum flat bed and I feel like I have the perfect setup to go where I need with the family and easily haul atvs and all the camping equipment I need. We got the floor option and we sleep on air mattresses no cots.

The only requirement for the stove is that you have enough stove pipe to reach the 6" diameter approximatly stove pipe opening near the top of the tipi. It's probably 12 - 15 feet high. Also the stove pipe needs a section of double wall where it passes through the opening so you don't burn the canvas. The double wall is the cage loooking thing in the photo surrounding the chimney pipe below the spark arrestor cage. Other than that any old wood stove will work fine.

The advantage of the tipi over a wall tent is that it holds up in high winds like a champ. We've had the thing up in hellacious 50 mile an hour constant wind and it was fine. And you can set it up single handedly like Robie said. You are pounding a heck of a lot stakes though.
View attachment 663992
Hey man, great to hear from another user and thanks for clarifying on how to do the woodstove set up.

Also, I never thought of the advantages of going with this over a travel trailer, but you nailed it.

🙏👊

LionHead

WKR
I've spoken to Don at 4 dog stoves, he's reviewed and set up the Zircon 15 Tentipi on his YouTube channel.

After our discussion it was determined the little Dog (2 dog) stove would heat the shelter alright, but the fire box wasn't big enough to hold the required pipe length sections inside the firebox for transport.

Don does make a specialty taper pipe specifically for the safir/zircon 15 with the addition of a heat shield and it will all pack inside the "Big dog" (4 dog) stove box. This special order needs to be placed on the phone with Don.

With my 2 dog stove sold to a local member, I'm now waiting on my big dog stove with custom pipe. Then the Tentipi Saf or Zirc 15 will be next in the list

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I've spoken to Don at 4 dog stoves, he's reviewed and set up the Zircon 15 Tentipi on his YouTube channel.

After our discussion it was determined the little Dog (2 dog) stove would heat the shelter alright, but the fire box wasn't big enough to hold the required pipe length sections inside the firebox for transport.

Don does make a specialty taper pipe specifically for the safir/zircon 15 with the addition of a heat shield and it will all pack inside the "Big dog" (4 dog) stove box. This special order needs to be placed on the phone with Don.

With my 2 dog stove sold to a local member, I'm now waiting on my big dog stove with custom pipe. Then the Tentipi Saf or Zirc 15 will be next in the list
Hey, thanks for sharing all this. We appreciate it. Keep us posted on the project.

LionHead

WKR
Robby are you finding any functionality from the "flex" version of the safir or is it more of a specialized use thing? I'd rather not buy one wishing I purchased the other but I'm having a hard time justifying the expense of the safir 15 flex.

I could see it being used for a family picnic type day but a $100 pop op from Costco could probably accomplish the same thing and be more convenient to use.

Would it even be practical to pitch it normal on the way in then flex pitch it if the day warms up then lock it back down when it cools off ? Or does it become a bit tedious?

Thanks

Myles

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
That’s a good thing to consider. If you think you’re gonna be using this tent in the early season, like September Archery, when you still have some hot days, then I think it would be worth it. But if you’re not, and it’s only gonna be for cold weather then you may be fine with just the regular SAFIR

I purchased a Safir 9 last year and have used it mostly for ice fishing so far. I heat it with a Winnerwell Nomad large stove. I do need to bring extra pipe to get out the top of the tent, and like you mentioned with the 2 dog stove the pipes don’t fit in the stove. Because I use the internal combustion engine for transport I have another bin where I keep the exhaust pipe oven, water tank, percolator and extra pipes in this crate.
the only complaint I have with the tent is the price, and that is known going into it. I purchased it expecting it to last 20 years and so far it is holding up great. 40-50km/hr steady winds and you don’t even know it if you are inside the tipi.
I spent the night on the lake last weekend, dropped to -18C and I didn’t have my big bag to sleep in. Asian tourists woke me up at 3am as they were taking pictures of the northern lights with my tent in the picture. I woke up cold, and within 8 minutes of lighting the fire (I timed it) my breath could not be seen in the tent.
An unexpected issue I have ran into is there are now 7 pieces of exhaust pipe on my stove and the pipe oven and when it gets hot enough it flexes at the base of the pipe and slants towards the front of the stove. Less than a 1/8” at the stove but up top it will rest on the tent. The opening is 6” and I have the double walled pipe to exit the tent, have not noticed any issues of overheating or burning the tent yet but it still needs to be monitored. Not a tent issue, a stove issue.
purchase the hanging rings for the top of the tent to hang clothes and other items, worth every penny.