Testing MTN OPS Yeti Pre-workout

elkyinzer

WKR
You guys notice any difference in your water needs/intake throughout the day using this stuff? Any appetite/digestion effects?

Either of you have plans to test the mountain legs on this stuff? I am interested to hear if it gets you going on day 3 of slogging up a mountain in the rain with blisters on the heels, monkey butt, sore knees, and all the other maladies that add up to temptation to stay warm in the sleeping bag a couple extra hours on a grueling mountain hunt.

chops24

WKR
im not going to try and be scientifical but in response to elkyinzer's question, I did a 6 mile ruck in boots with a 40ish pound pack last week and forgot to take yeti, it was a grind. this morning I did 10 miles with more hills, same configuration and felt awesome.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Mtnrunner260, so glad you brought up the water factor. I keep forgetting to mention that a guy needs to be hydrated otherwise I feel dry lips and even more dehydrated than I normally would without Yeti.

elkyinzer,
due to schedule, I won't have any hill time like that until summer. That is one reason I chose mtnrunner to test as his treejob is probably as close to the real thing we're going to get this time of year.

Like chops24 says though, I'm betting this stuff will only help on a physically demanding hunt. I'll post today's results later.

If this supplement has creatine and you don't stay well hydrated on a hunt you could experience some cramping. At least from my experience with other supplements containing creatine.

Anyone else get close to passing out when pushing yourself after taking Yeti? I've never had that happen to me before and have had it happen twice now in a few weeks. Like a light headed queasy could puke could pass out thing. Maybe that's evidence it's working, haha.

Elk,
I won't be able to do any overnights during this time frame but am doing something fairly hard 6 days a week. Also as Robby said I do feel the dry lips more while taking it.

Dos,
I have not had that affect.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Day 4, Robby

Because I had that 4,800 calorie intake two days I ago, I cut to less than 1,700 yesterday and with that big workout, I'm not feeling carb-loaded now.
Pretty sure all I need now is 1/2 scoop or so
attachment.php

For today, I'd planned on workout at 2:00 PM so I took Yeti at 1:30. Sure enough, got interrupted and never got to the workout till almost 4:30. By then I was tired so I took another 3/8 of scoop and hit cardio/circuit.

Killer workout! If you look at all the MyZone reports, you can see it's my highest average intensity (72%), notice the sustained amount of yellow which indicates 80% plus and I burned 726 calories in 54 minutes, which is great for me.

attachment.php

Looking back over 6 months of reports, it's my highest intensity since I was prepping for hunting season in August. This is the same workout I did on Day 1 which averaged 60%. Just much easier to push it and considering I was tired when I started, I was especially happy.

Later that evening I did experience some dry lips and cotton mouth, but I was dehydrated too. Both mtnrunner and I have noted, you don't want to be dehydrated on this stuff.

mtslackcountry is right on the creatine- this stuff has 2000 mg in a full scoop

I slept fine but avoided coffee as I remember what happened Day 1 when I took a full scoop and had a 12 oz coffee.

Retterath

WKR
When I was taking yeti in the morning before I went and worked out at 6am I would break out with a bad rash once in awhile when I was taking it. I have taken supplements before but have never broken out before. Anyone experience that. I called mnt ops and left a voice mail but never got a call back. I haven't used it since cause the hive situation felt terrible.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Retterath,

there was someone on another recent thread that had experienced that or something similar. MTN OPs chimed in but I can't remember what they said. It was a recent thread if you have time to look.

I haven't experienced that (yet). Still 5 days to go.

When I was taking yeti in the morning before I went and worked out at 6am I would break out with a bad rash once in awhile when I was taking it. I have taken supplements before but have never broken out before. Anyone experience that. I called mnt ops and left a voice mail but never got a call back. I haven't used it since cause the hive situation felt terrible.

Retterath - No need to fear! What you experienced ahas a niacin flush. Our Yeti has a small amount of niacin in it which helps with blood flow especially on the skins surface. Some people experience it and some don't, it is more of a case by case basis. If it did scare you but you would like to try some endurance products that look into the Mtn Ops Enduro which is similar to the Yeti minus a few ingredients one of those being niacin.

- Casey Harbertson

Day 6

Took a full scoop of Yeti with half a banana at 5:30 am.
Hit the gym.
Warmed up with 10 minutes on the recumbent bike (managed to keep the squirrel caged)

Then did a circuit type deal. 3 arms lifts at 3 sets of 10. 2 leg lifts at 2 sets of 10. 4 arm lifts at 3 sets of 10. 2 leg lifts at 3 sets of 10. Then 3 rounds of wall sits, "donoven's" a bridge deal learned from an Olympic trials steeplechaser and pushups on a Bosu.

Took a small break between arm and legs for a drink. Then tried to get from one exercise to the next as fast as I could. Took about 45 minutes to complete all the lifts.

I felt the pump and felt I could have keep going if I didn't need to be at work.

That has been a consistent experience with the Yeti so far. I fell I can work harder for longer then when I don't take it.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Day 6, Robby

mtnrunner, as soon as I saw the word "recumbent" I thought "oh no!!!!" Good thing I warned you. I'm still having bad visions of kiwi-fruit-like objects rolling through the cardio theater

Anyway,

Today was planned for low-intensity long cardio and outside (my favorite). Prolly didn't need any Yeti, but I took my 5/8 scoop as usual.

I like to go out and walk the fields around my hometown and just look for tracks, so that's what I did. Walked for 1 hour 48 minutes at a 52% avg intensity. Those two blue bars indicate 60% and is probably when I saw some deer tracks
attachment.php

Can't say I really needed the Yeti today. Seems like I didn't feel much at this low intensity, so maybe it's just been doing what it's supposed to do- help me kick it on the higher intensity days.

Retterath

WKR
Retterath - No need to fear! What you experienced ahas a niacin flush. Our Yeti has a small amount of niacin in it which helps with blood flow especially on the skins surface. Some people experience it and some don't, it is more of a case by case basis. If it did scare you but you would like to try some endurance products that look into the Mtn Ops Enduro which is similar to the Yeti minus a few ingredients one of those being niacin.

- Casey Harbertson

thanks for the reply casey, there was a nurse at the gym that day and she said it probably that niacin. It didn't do it all the time just a few times. it didn't scare me just was a little uncomfortable. i will probably try the enduro here one of these days . it seems like niacin is good for you from what i read. Will that flush go away after time or do u think it will continue?

Last edited:
Day 7

Took a scoop of yeti along with half a banana before my hour session on the dreadmill this morning.
Did 5.5 miles and 450 vertical. Did some decline as well so really gained more than that. It always seems to go down faster than it does up.

Ran 2 minutes towards the end at 6 minute pace. Awful fast for me but I keep feeling like I can do more when on the Yeti then without.

Headed to a work project and got stuck in the snow. Spent 20 or 30 minutes digging out. Nice little mini workout during the day.

Again felt good all day. We had an afternoon meeting with a company selling a bacteria that attacks the roots of cheatgrass and my boss could barely stay awake but no problem for me. In the past I have had that early afternoon lull that I used a mtn dew to get through. I feel good that I don't need that with the Yeti.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Day 7, Robby

I agree mtnrunner on the afternoon lulls. As I've written, my workout often gets pushed to the middle of the afternoon when energy seems to be the lowest, but the Yeti has helped with that big time. I haven't had a diet pepsi or Rokstar Zero since I started the Yeti.

Would love to say I got a killer workout today but after taking my Yeti around 1:00, before I could get out on the floor 10 fires blew up that I had to put out. Long story short- it was 9:30 PM before I was done so no workout today.

I can say now for sure you DON'T want to take this stuff unless you're going to workout in the next 30 minutes. You're not amped, but you feel like you really want to move and can't. Try again tomorrow.

Day 8

Took the scoop of yeti and half a banana at 5:30 this am.

Picked my folks up from airport late last night so they stayed over night and I half jokingly asked the old man if he wanted to join me at the gym. Well he was up for it so I made some yeti for him as well.

Today was the first day I brought a water bottle to the gym ( I drank approx 50 oz while there) and the combination of things being a little slower with helping my dad I felt great this morning.

Dad reported an increase in energy and felt the difference throughout the day. Though he was concerned about being able to draw his bow this evening :D

I covered a lot of miles in the truck today. About 6 total hours which usually requires a dew on the way home but didn't feel the need to. Once I got on site I ended up walking for about 4 hours. No pack weight and really not that challenging of a hike. My legs were heavy from morning lifting but never felt tired or low on energy.

Robby's assessment of wanting to move is right on the money. I haven't taken it and not worked out but even after a running or lifting session I still feel the motivation/urge to be doing something.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Day, 8 Robby

Today was my mile run. I have some good data to compare this week to last week, too. If you refer to "Day 2" on page 2 of this thread, you'll see what I mean.

Last week, I ran a mile at 7.1 mph for an 8:45 minute per mile. The week before this Yeti test began, I was 6.7 mph and 9 minute per mile. Keep those numbers in mind

Today, I got to workout at 11:00 am, a much better time cause I'm between meals. Keep in mind, "Day 2" was in the afternoon and although Yeti helps, it's just a tougher time of the day.

Nutrition update, yesterday was 2,000 calories, no workout. So not high or low.
attachment.php

Took 5/8 scoop Yeti about 20 minutes before workout.

After a good warm-up, I reset the treadmill and took off. I could tell in the first minute that the 7.1 mph from last week was "easy" so I set it at 7.5 until I hit a mile.

Here's the MyZone report
attachment.php

Here's a screen shot of my peak heart rate that I hit just before the mile mark
attachment.php

and here is same run, "Day 2"

attachment.php

you can see my heart rate still only got into the 80% range (yellow) but I was able to increase my speed 0.4mph and cut my minute/mile to 8min/mile compared to last week, a full 45 seconds faster. Now we can always say their is a placebo effect and that I kind of have an audience (you all), but I will offer that while those things can be true, it's just a bit easier to push harder.

Here's the treadmill screen (blurry but I was still running), you can see the speed and pace. The distance shows 1.05 mile but that's because there is a lag in the treadmill belt to get to speed so I started my count at 0.05 miles

attachment.php

Yes, this was earlier in the day and could explain why this Yeti workout is faster than last week's, but BOTH workouts were faster than the no-Yeti workout two weeks ago. I know not scientific, but there's something going on.

Day 9

Took yeti at half a banana at 5:30am.
Then got on the treadmill. The reason I'm on the treadmill is my wife goes and runs with her group. Usually it's no big deal but today our 1 year old woke up about 30 minutes in and I couldn't get him back to sleep. So I didn't get much done today.

Then we got to drive to southern California to see the inlaws after oldest got out of kindergarten. About a 10 hour drive. I do think the Yeti helped me while driving.

The good knew is during all the chaos of getting everyone ready I forgot my workout shoes so all I have down here is cowboy boots. Going to be grabbing something cheap in the am.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I want a picture posted of mtnrunner in Richard Simmons shorts and cowboy boots running is So. Cali. Thinking about it, he'll prolly fit in.