The 22 creedmoor thread

ACHILLES

Lil-Rokslider
I’m running an 18” rechambered tikka barrel also. Peterson does have less capacity.

With Hornady brass, 80gr eldms and 43.5gr of h1000 I can get 4 firings out of it at 3070fps

With peterson lrp, 80gr eldms and 42.5gr of h1000 I can get 2 firings out of it at 3040fps

With Alpha srp, 80gr eldms and 43.5gr of h1000 I can get 3 firings out of it at 3050fps

Hornady factory 80gr eldm ammo runs at 3115fps
Figured out the issue. As suspected it was the Hornady fl die. Once I switched to a Hornady fl bushing die it fixed my problem and I ran a piece of Hornady brass 8x with the h-1000 load and could have gone more but stopped there. The measurements after sizing brass was identical with both dies at the shoulder and base but after flipping the dies over and shining a light in there is it’s obvious why the fl die was giving me trouble you can see the tooling marks inside and I thought it was rough sizing and felt like crap from the beginning. Looking inside my other dies custom and other factory brands they are very smooth and polished. This one is not so I guess Il be ordering another sizing die because this Hornady 6creed bushing die I have is a friends and it’s not great either but 10x smoother than mine.

On another note i pressure tested some of the 69gr TMK’s with varget. Looks like Il be able to run them around 3250fps. I haven’t tested them for accuracy yet since the wind has been 25-35 the last few days.

Also pressure tested some 95gr SMK’s with h1000 just to see how fast I would be able to run them when my 6.8 twist Bbl comes in. Seated very deep in the case I was starting to see an ej mark around 2850fps with Hornady brass at 42.5gr

Figured out the issue. As suspected it was the Hornady fl die. Once I switched to a Hornady fl bushing die it fixed my problem and I ran a piece of Hornady brass 8x with the h-1000 load and could have gone more but stopped there. The measurements after sizing brass was identical with both dies at the shoulder and base but after flipping the dies over and shining a light in there is it’s obvious why the fl die was giving me trouble you can see the tooling marks inside and I thought it was rough sizing and felt like crap from the beginning. Looking inside my other dies custom and other factory brands they are very smooth and polished. This one is not so I guess Il be ordering another sizing die because this Hornady 6creed bushing die I have is a friends and it’s not great either but 10x smoother than mine.

On another note i pressure tested some of the 69gr TMK’s with varget. Looks like Il be able to run them around 3250fps. I haven’t tested them for accuracy yet since the wind has been 25-35 the last few days.

Also pressure tested some 95gr SMK’s with h1000 just to see how fast I would be able to run them when my 6.8 twist Bbl comes in. Seated very deep in the case I was starting to see an ej mark around 2850fps with Hornady brass at 42.5gr
Was that an 18"? That is super slow for 69 tmk, but if that's what your barrel tells you so be it

prcwv

Lil-Rokslider
I haven't tried 69s I bought some 77s haven't tried them yet either. That's pretty good with the 18 inch though. I'd call Hornady cause they can't blame you for tooling marks.

ACHILLES

Lil-Rokslider
I haven't tried 69s I bought some 77s haven't tried them yet either. That's pretty good with the 18 inch though. I'd call Hornady cause they can't blame you for tooling marks.
I have some 77s I need to try also.
Was that an 18"? That is super slow for 69 tmk, but if that's what your barrel tells you so be it
Yes thats with 35.5gr of varget at 3250 and a flattened primer with Hornady brass. At 38gr I saw 3380fps with an ej mark and some bolt lift.

I’ve seen others run 39gr of varget with lapua brass. But tikka barrels aren’t known to be the fastest either. I’m sure I could run 3300-3350 easily with my peterson brass but I was just seeing what they would do speed wise in this gun as im about to help a buddy load some up his 22creed.

prcwv

Lil-Rokslider
I have some 77s I need to try also.

Yes thats with 35.5gr of varget at 3250 and a flattened primer with Hornady brass. At 38gr I saw 3380fps with an ej mark and some bolt lift.

I’ve seen others run 39gr of varget with lapua brass. But tikka barrels aren’t known to be the fastest either. I’m sure I could run 3300-3350 easily with my peterson brass but I was just seeing what they would do speed wise in this gun as im about to help a buddy load some up his 22creed.
I'm getting 3514 with 39.4 of varget Alpha SRP with my Tikka 22 inch. Haven't checked it for a while for speed up been 30 rounds or so down barrel since then maybe more but so far so good

prcwv

Lil-Rokslider
That seems spot on. When I get brass again it will be Aplha srp.
I like em. I will say primer pockets on virgin brass are tight! I actually just order some more from optics planet had em for 106 I believe for 100 pieces

I've found the loads I'll take to MT Prairie dog fields. 132 rounds down my new rifle. 26" Rem Varmint contour Muller works 8"twist bbl Bat Igniter action McMillian Game Warden 2.0 stock Trigger Tech Special trigger.
Alpha brass 41.0 gr of H4350 75gr ELD average velocity 3537 6.6 SD out of 10 rounds tight groups on a cold, windy day.
Alpha Brass 42.5grs H4350 behind Hornady's new 62gr ELD-VT bullet out of 5 shots average velocity was 3,844 MOA SD of 23.9 43grs out of 5 shots was 3,873 SD of 11.8same MOA accuracy Then I tried some 60gr Nosler BT with 43 grs of H4350 Peterson brass average velocity was 3,880 with SD of 16.3 and then 3 shots of 43grs of H4350 behind a 55grs Nosler varmingeddon for 4,040 FPS with under 1/2 MOA all at 100yds. My rifle doesn't like H1000. Which of today's loads will be the hardest on the barrel? Also, there are zero pressure signs and no hard extractions. Update I plan to reduces all charges by 1.5 grs

Attachments

• IMG_3365.jpg
    IMG_3365.jpg
    444.4 KB · Views: 25

Get a Wilson bushing die, you will never buy anything else after using it

OP
L

Lawnboi

WKR
I've found the loads I'll take to MT Prairie dog fields. 132 rounds down my new rifle. 26" Rem Varmint contour Muller works 8"twist bbl Bat Igniter action McMillian Game Warden 2.0 stock Trigger Tech Special trigger.
Alpha brass 41.0 gr of H4350 75gr ELD average velocity 3537 6.6 SD out of 10 rounds tight groups on a cold, windy day.
Alpha Brass 42.5grs H4350 behind Hornady's new 62gr ELD-VT bullet out of 5 shots average velocity was 3,844 MOA SD of 23.9 43grs out of 5 shots was 3,873 SD of 11.8same MOA accuracy Then I tried some 60gr Nosler BT with 43 grs of H4350 Peterson brass average velocity was 3,880 with SD of 16.3 and then 3 shots of 43grs of H4350 behind a 55grs Nosler varmingeddon for 4,040 FPS with under 1/2 MOA all at 100yds. My rifle doesn't like H1000. Which of today's loads will be the hardest on the barrel? Also, there are zero pressure signs and no hard extractions. Update I plan to reduces all charges by 1.5 grs
Holy hell that one would be fun for a day!

ACHILLES

Lil-Rokslider
@ACHILLES if you want a good die and want to spend a little the SAC creedmoor die is awesome with the expanding decapper.
I ordered a forster fl die yesterday when I realized my hornady die had issues. Il use it in the meantime but will probably end up getting a sac, Wilson, or Redding later on. I’m going to try the 52SMK’s next.

Did some shooting quickly at last light this evening. Checked zero on my 223Rem & 22creed just before dark then shot them out to 750yards. Both running the 80gr eldm at 2640fps & 3040fps. Wind was 6-8mph at 11cl. Had to dial 2.5Moa left for the 223 and 1.5moa left with the creed. Shot a nice 3 shot group with the creed that was 1.2” at 750. Was a little low but it was almost dark and I could barely see the target so who knows.
IMG_5678.jpeg

OP
L

Lawnboi

WKR
I ordered a forster fl die yesterday when I realized my hornady die had issues. Il use it in the meantime but will probably end up getting a sac, Wilson, or Redding later on. I’m going to try the 52SMK’s next.

Did some shooting quickly at last light this evening. Checked zero on my 223Rem & 22creed just before dark then shot them out to 750yards. Both running the 80gr eldm at 2640fps & 3040fps. Wind was 6-8mph at 11cl. Had to dial 2.5Moa left for the 223 and 1.5moa left with the creed. Shot a nice 3 shot group with the creed that was 1.2” at 750. Was a little low but it was almost dark and I could barely see the target so who knows.
View attachment 680415
Having used alll three, if you don’t mind spending the coin the sac is a better mouse trap. No doughnuts and the ability to customize neck/mandrel size. That and it’s nice that the die will also handle 6 and 6.5 with a few changes.

I have a bunch of Wilson dies as well as Redding and neither have anything on the sac.

ACHILLES

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the feedback I’m going with SAC. What does the neck of a loaded round measure with Alpha brass?

Having used alll three, if you don’t mind spending the coin the sac is a better mouse trap. No doughnuts and the ability to customize neck/mandrel size. That and it’s nice that the die will also handle 6 and 6.5 with a few changes.

I have a bunch of Wilson dies as well as Redding and neither have anything on the sac.
How does the SAC die prevent donuts?

OP
L

Lawnboi

WKR
How does the SAC die prevent donuts?
The bushing is not just a neck bushing. It’s a neck/shoulder bushing. It acts as an adjustable full length die and sizes the entire neck. Also the reason it’s modular, you can swap bushings and mandrels to 22/6/25/6.5 and be sizing anything in the creedmoor family.

The bushing is not just a neck bushing. It’s a neck/shoulder bushing. It acts as an adjustable full length die and sizes the entire neck. Also the reason it’s modular, you can swap bushings and mandrels to 22/6/25/6.5 and be sizing anything in the creedmoor family.
Yes I know how they're designed. I think we're talking about different donuts. I was thinking you meant donuts from necking up Lapua brass where you'll have one either on inside or outside of case depending on how you size the case. No die can prevent that particular issue.