The great sock debate 2024

This time of year I swap gear transitioning from hunting to hiking for the Spring and summer. I am in the habit of inspecting things and doing upgrades and replacements and noticed some of my sock collection is nearing the end of the road. my go to socks are a mix of:

- Thorlo Medium Cushion Hiking - the old stand by. Tried and true.
- smart wool - called Hike Classic Edition. Good but have developed more holes more quickly
- darn tough - mix of mid and heavy weight hiking and hunting socks

So I am in the stock market. i am inclined to add a few more darn toughs to replace the worn out pairs, but thought I would ask what socks people use and like these days. What say ye?

If you have holes in your darn toughs i think they will warranty them if you send them in. But i actually like farm to feet socks more than them and their warranty is simpler. You just send pics of the damaged socks and they send you new ones!

CougarBlue

Lil-Rokslider
Darn Tough for me. They work and are warrantied. I haven't needed to venture out beyond that.

Drenalin

WKR
I've been rotating the same 8 pairs of Smartwool socks for the last 5 years. I wear them every day, year round. I'm pretty happy with that.

BBob

WKR
Point6. Founded by people that came from SmartWool. Better than SmartWool IMO. Sign up and watch for sales. Big discounts if you wait. I have some Darn Tough and SmartWool but I’m liking the Point6 better. For hunting socks with boots my favorites have been the Kuiu mid weight.

The Darn Toughs last longer because they have more nylon. That also makes them absorb more moisture. That's the trade-off. I have decided the SmartWools or equivalent are the way to go. I have a half dozen pairs of both so my opinion is based in experience, not conjecture.

jonpall

Lil-Rokslider
Camel or yak socks might be the way to go based on another thread here, but I have no experience with them. I've only used the standard darn tough, smartwool, fits, etc and have liked most about the same.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I've been using Cabela's calf-length polypropylene liner socks, and Smartwool Classic lightweight merino boot socks for probably the last 15+ years now with no intent of changing that. They've been the perfect setup for me.

Trial153

WKR
I hate Darn tough for an outdoor sock worn for an extended amounts of time. For a daily wear they are fine. However for extended wear they get clammy and the cushion flattens out.
I find Farm to feet are somewhat better especially the non segmented versions.
I started wearing and different brands of Alpaca socks, so far the the first three I used couldn’t see much difference than merino wool blends. Paca, warrior alpaca, something or other…. I ended up buying two pares of Hollow brand alpaca socks.
These are hands down the best socks I have worn. I have about 30 days on them running hounds this winter and the are fantastic. Warm but not clammy, hold their shape, decent cushion… and flat out comfortable all day long .

buffybr

FNG
As far back as I can remember starting with high school football 60 years ago, the only socks that I've ever worn are white cotton like the ones Walmart sells for 6 pr for $10.

That includes 10 years as a full time ski instructor and ski patrolman in Steamboat in -30 F temperatures, almost 50 years of hunting all of Montana's big game species, includiing multiple hunts for Big horn sheep and Mountain goats, and other multiple hunts in Africa, Canada, Alaska, New Zealand, and Azerbaijan.

Never had a problem with wet feet, cold feet, or blisters.

Snowhunter11

Lil-Rokslider
Farm to feet merino wool Damascus- my standard

Feetures-merino ultra light no show for workouts, running, and shorts wearing..

Tried many variations to get to these..My 2c

NDGuy

WKR
darn tough are nice. I bought like 10 pairs when I found them for $8 each. Should last quite awhile

Farm to feet has been my go to socks anymore. I have many pairs of merino socks from the others listed here. And find FTF to be the most comfortable, and like darn tough they also have a great warranty.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
As far back as I can remember starting with high school football 60 years ago, the only socks that I've ever worn are white cotton like the ones Walmart sells for 6 pr for $10.

Never had a problem with wet feet, cold feet, or blisters.
You must not have sweated much at all. Back in high school those were the only socks we had. For basketball, they'd be soaking wet along with the rotting shoes, and blisters were just a way of life. For hunting when I was young I'd use the same, with the same results.....wet cotton socks that took days to dry out and freezing toes. I knew there had to be a better answer than cotton.

Kostrize

WKR

Far better than any of those options

Haven’t tried their hiking socks but the Buffalo Wool Co beanies and gloves are very high performing warmth to weight. The Buffalo down doesnt absorb much moisture and dries fast. Similar to what I’ve read about alpaca but higher performing. The beanie and gloves outperform the alpaca socks that I have in relative warmth and dry time. They have some cheaper blends as well, with the expected trade offs

Darn Tough has been great for me for hot and mild weather but I’ve experienced the results others in this thread have echoed with long dry times, cold feet, and the cushion packing out. They are great for blisters though

TaperPin

WKR
I’ve essentially worn the same type of simple heavy wool sock since I was 18. I read about and tried different materials, different brands, combination of lighter weight socks, and a super thin liner under the thick socks, but for me and my foot shape, the basic thickest wool work sock provides the best cushion over the entire day. Cotton or poly socks seem to flatten out more. I am quickly becoming a fan of the smoother types of wool, but those socks are generally only available in medium weights.

I‘d be much more likely to wear thinner socks if boots were usually on the snug side, but my feet are a little narrow.