The great sock debate 2024

Agross

WKR
It's just select items. Most of which appear to be sold out in all Large size :(. Even going into their normal stock of OTC of mid-calf crew it hard to find any multi packs or deals in Large. Why all the hate for us with hobbit feet?

IMG_0822.png

Beendare

WKR
It seems a lot of these Merino wool sock companies are using a lot of nylon in them no doubt to increase the durability.
Darn tough is 65%-70% Merino and about 30% nylon

A lot of the “Wool” socks are a large % nylon.

Makes sense…but it begs the question; Do the higher % Merino perform better even though they won’t last as long?

My 80% merino Smart Wool socks are great..but they do not wear as long as the Darn Tough.

AndrewMT34

Lil-Rokslider
I use Farm to Feet mid weight Damascus socks for both work and hiking/hunting. I love them, usually on sale at my local outdoor store for $10–15 a pair around Thanksgiving and I stock up every other year.

Ron.C

Lil-Rokslider
another smart wool user here, mostly the cusioned hikers. Used them for years now in hot/warm/cold/wet weather from daily wear, hikes, day hunts, backpack hunts.

Have had no reason to try anything else

ni7ne

FNG
I do love wool socks. Lately, though, I've been testing out uncushioned fully synthetic nylon/spandex socks.
Feetures elite ultra-light.
Apples and oranges comparison with wool, but they have been working for me in warm weather and light trail footwear.

Bama67

FNG
I thought it was just me that disliked DarnTough. They strangle my midfoot when they are fresh out of the dryer.
And they also seem to make my feet stay sweatier than anything else I've worn.

I've been using these Alpaca wool socks for the last 3 years. Sure they're "hip and trendy" but I work in construction and own a small farm and the same 3 pack set I bought 3 years ago is still in use. Only one sock has a small hole in the heel but the rest are in great shape. I'll wear the same set for a couple days and I can't smell any "funk" when I swap them out. When compared to merino wool, alpaca is softer, stronger, warmer, and retains less water.

bz_711

WKR
I bought 4 pair of Cabelas Merino wool hunting/hiking socks (100% guaranteed for life) in 2010...I've worn them every season since (granted only 1 week hunt) and train with them a couple months in the summer...I've yet to replace one of the pairs.
Super impressed!

I use and love thorlo socks - I have multiple weights but prefer the lightweight ones for just about everything. I don't use a liner. They are durable and comfortable.

You can cover anything with the Darn Tough 2011 and 2012. I wear the 2011 until later season then switch to the 2012.

If its overly hot, the Darn Tough Spur or F2F Damascus Light.

If you dont like the Darn Tough, the Smartwool Hunt PHD Light is equivalent to the DT 2011, and the Mid is the 2012. These are less durable than the DT though.

COJoe

Lil-Rokslider
I use the Smart Wool silk liners under Darn Tough 2011 merino blend Hunting Socks. I find using a liner sock saves my feet from blisters or hotspots. Used to do a lot of hiking years ago and used liners under hiking socks. I wear the same combo all year long for backpack training hikes with temps 90-100 and my feet do well with minimal sweat as to be expected. I wash them every couple weeks and have found very little odor and I hang them to dry. These socks have a couple hundred miles on them over the past couple years and are holding up really well in my Crispi boots.
My hunting buddy used synthetic socks two years ago and about made me throw up when he took his socks off after getting back to the truck on a pack out. He wore them for four days straight and the smell drifted through the cab and hit me hard, lol.

Last edited:

JRS3

FNG
I enjoy the Buffalo Wool various socks, especially the Pro Gear Boot Socks.

I have had the casual crew socks for a few years and they get softer over time and with multiple washes.

Bluumoon

WKR
As far back as I can remember starting with high school football 60 years ago, the only socks that I've ever worn are white cotton like the ones Walmart sells for 6 pr for $10.

That includes 10 years as a full time ski instructor and ski patrolman in Steamboat in -30 F temperatures, almost 50 years of hunting all of Montana's big game species, includiing multiple hunts for Big horn sheep and Mountain goats, and other multiple hunts in Africa, Canada, Alaska, New Zealand, and Azerbaijan.

Never had a problem with wet feet, cold feet, or blisters.
You sure you don’t have diabetic neuropathy? Tougher than me

tpicou

Lil-Rokslider
Love buffalo wool co socks. They are expensive and I’m not positive they hold up as long as some of the others but tbh I don’t really care. They rock. I’d pay $45/pair and throw them away every year if I had to (they last multiple years/a long time fyi).

JB426

FNG
The Kenetrek socks have been great and durable. One of the few I've found that blend in Polypropylene. I have the Canada Midweight and the Utimate liner and no complaints. They seem to handle moisture well.