The Hobbit Rifle

OP
SLDMTN

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
What are you guys using for a sturdy lightweight pic rail stock option?

If you’re talking forend, I’m planning to put a universal pic rail on the factory stock between the two barrel screws. It’s already flat and shouldn’t take much more than drilling a few holes.

Geewhiz

WKR
If you’re talking forend, I’m planning to put a universal pic rail on the factory stock between the two barrel screws. It’s already flat and shouldn’t take much more than drilling a few holes.
Actually I was talking about buttstock options that are preferably fairly light weight

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Just under 22".
If you can fire it folded, that is a problem. An overall length of less than 26 inches is an NFA item, same as an SBR.

I think the law is stupid, but I also think it is not worth the risk of a felony with 10 years in prison and $250,000 fine to break stupid laws.

Might be worth $200 and SBR the receiver.

sneaky

"DADDY"
If you can fire it folded, that is a problem. An overall length of less than 26 inches is an NFA item, same as an SBR.

I think the law is stupid, but I also think it is not worth the risk of a felony with 10 years in prison and $250,000 fine to break stupid laws.

Might be worth $200 and SBR the receiver.
Yeah, you go ahead and do that. I wouldn't pay a $200 extortion fee to the govt for a rifle that has a legal rifle length barrel. No different than those street sweeper shotguns with pistol grips. The ATF can go pound sand.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
I'll have to read more into this, I was under the impression that because the rifle is designed to be shot using the stock in its unfolded position it was fine. I do so love the arbitrary bullshit hoops and interpretations we have to go through. Until I straighten it out I'll go ahead and remove the stock then tack the can on there. Fuckboi feds.
You may be right, I hope you are as I really like the idea, I just have no clear answer. If you get one, please update.

I should probably just write the ATF and get an answer straight from the jackass's mouth.

With more digging. The PDF this is based on appears to say if you are using a pistol, the OAL is measured in the smallest possible form. However, as a stock is part of the statutory definition of a rifle, OAL would be measured with the stock extended.

The BS is certainly frustrating. Sorry if all I ended up doing was cause needless worry.

RobertLosekamp

Lil-Rokslider
Awesome. That's just about perfect for a travel rifle if the accuracy is there. Now I think I need one. Thank you for the measurement.
In my example accuracy is quite good. It's a .300blk, not exactly a precision cartridge and I was using AAC 220 "subs" that averaged out to 1123 fps in these groups. Using an ACSS reticle at 50 yards off a bag. If I recall correctly they use Bergara barrels.

Attachments

• PXL_20230504_225419855.jpg
    PXL_20230504_225419855.jpg
    348.2 KB · Views: 50
  • PXL_20230504_223610551.jpg
    PXL_20230504_223610551.jpg
    567.7 KB · Views: 49

Fordguy

WKR
In my example accuracy is quite good. It's a .300blk, not exactly a precision cartridge and I was using AAC 220 "subs" that averaged out to 1123 fps in these groups. Using an ACSS reticle at 50 yards off a bag. If I recall correctly they use Bergara barrels.
Nice!

Long Cut

WKR
First Blood with the CVA Scout in 6.5CM

Unfortunately had a “failure to extract” the case and had to use a knife to pull the brass out. This is with Lapua Brass, CCI 400’s, Viht N555 at 40.3 grains and Nosler BT’s 140gr. I could break the action open, but could not physically remove the case from the gun with my fingers.

This is a known load I’ve developed and shot in various conditions, and never had an issue with… until last night.
Could’ve been a fluke, as I’ve sent several hundred bullets down range using light to hot charges.

Regardless, the shot was a “bang, 10 steps and flop” with an exit hole the size of my palm.IMG_9528.jpegIMG_9529.jpeg

Long Cut

WKR
I have the Midwest Industries Alpha on my CVA. 1.5lbs, probably not as light as others but it folds and offers a lot of adjustment. Folds either way, plenty of LOP, cheek riser, and butt up or down. Quite nice.View attachment 621541View attachment 621542

How are you liking the .300BO in the Scout?

I was between the .300 & 6.5 for my CVA Scout and opted for 6.5 as I already had the Dies/Components to load… I’m regretting that decision as I want a suppressed hunting rifle.

I’m itching to buy the CVA Scout in .300BO or a Ruger American Ranch in .300BO next

bigeyedfish

Lil-Rokslider
I so badly wish CVA would sell the Scout in 223. My son is wanting to get behind the gun next season. Unless he grows quite a bit in the next 12 months, I don't really want him fighting with more recoil or rifle weight than absolutely necessary.

At this point, I'm stuck between a 243 Scout or an AR in 223/5.56, but not terribly excited about either.

I so badly wish CVA would sell the Scout in 223. My son is wanting to get behind the gun next season. Unless he grows quite a bit in the next 12 months, I don't really want him fighting with more recoil or rifle weight than absolutely necessary.

At this point, I'm stuck between a 243 Scout or an AR in 223/5.56, but not terribly excited about either.

How about a Tikka? You could put it in a bravo, a chassis, or other shortet stock.

I think the end product would be better overall