The Hobbit Rifle

I have the 223 and shorty 6 creed tikkas but sitting in a tree stand with a 7" can on an 18" barrel, i still like the idea getting it shorter yet from a single shot break action, especially if my girls are wanting to go when they are old enough.

The dang MGM barrels aren't cheap though.. If anyone ever has a stubby one in 6 BR, 22 BR, or 22 GT they wanted to get rid of i'd probably impulse buy if discounted enough from new.

clperry

Lil-Rokslider
I so badly wish CVA would sell the Scout in 223. My son is wanting to get behind the gun next season. Unless he grows quite a bit in the next 12 months, I don't really want him fighting with more recoil or rifle weight than absolutely necessary.

At this point, I'm stuck between a 243 Scout or an AR in 223/5.56, but not terribly excited about either.

What’s not desirable about the ar? Or a scout in 300 AAC?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

quondam24

FNG
Encore SS Action $425
MGM Barrel $425
Talley Rings $55
M*Carbo Trigger Kit $30
Sharps Bro Grip $105
MFT Stock $50
Buffer Tube Adapter $45
Buffer Tube $30
Leupold 4.5-14x40 $500
Bipod Adapter $10
Bipod $30

Total $1705

Prices reflect what I paid for each item, the scope was on sale which should be the only variable.
I'm looking to do a build like this. How has it worked out? Would you change anything?

bigeyedfish

Lil-Rokslider
What’s not desirable about the ar? Or a scout in 300 AAC?

The AR just isn't as interesting to me for whatever reason.

300 AAC is new to me. Until you asked, I had never even considered it. Low recoil looks good. I'd prefer the availability and bullet trajectory of the 223, but I'll roll around the 300 AAC vs. 243 idea. Thanks for the recommendation.

clperry

Lil-Rokslider
The 300 offers similar performance to the 223 out to 100 or so with the right bullet. The AR is light and effective. If all it is is preference, then I wouldn’t dismiss it.

Te Hopo

Lil-Rokslider
Here's my hobbit rifle, different recipe but inspired by all these beauties.
This is more of a very affordable scrub/forest rifle.
Rossi Pomba, these come with a 23" .357Mag barrel standard.
I had it cut to 14" and a locally made suppressor fitted, bead blasted the stainless and fitted a VX-HOG 1-4x20.

20231107_070927.jpg

It drops deer quickly with 180gr XTPs to the cheast

20231110_055049.jpg

Next up is a bit of stock slimming/shaping and maybe some on board ammo storage.

RobertLosekamp

Lil-Rokslider
How are you liking the .300BO in the Scout?

I was between the .300 & 6.5 for my CVA Scout and opted for 6.5 as I already had the Dies/Components to load… I’m regretting that decision as I want a suppressed hunting rifle.

I’m itching to buy the CVA Scout in .300BO or a Ruger American Ranch in .300BO next
Sorry I'm just getting this. I caught a temp ban for bad language in regards to our overlords at BATFE.

It feels and shoots wonderfully, the break action is smoothing out considerably and plenty accurate for my needs (Hunting 100yds>). I'm using a 1-6x ACSS reticle and can stack shot after shot into a 1" circle at 50 yards, with a scope better suited for accurate shooting at distance I would be shocked if MOA accuracy wasn't there. Do recommend.

Geewhiz

WKR
Can you put a rifle stock on a CVA Scout pistol?
Yes I believe so, but FYI I have heard the weight specs on the pistol are way off. Advertized as 3.7 lbs but is actually over 5, but thats just heresay.

Also another thing I discovered is that the barrel profile on the stainless takedown models is significantly heavier than the blued non-takedown models.

Yes I believe so, but FYI I have heard the weight specs on the pistol are way off. Advertized as 3.7 lbs but is actually over 5, but thats just heresay.

Also another thing I discovered is that the barrel profile on the stainless takedown models is significantly heavier than the blued non-takedown models.
Bummer - I was thinking of getting the pistol in 6mm ARC with a 14” barrel and throwing a rifle stock on it. Thought it would be a handy little truck gun.

Geewhiz

WKR
Bummer - I was thinking of getting the pistol in 6mm ARC with a 14” barrel and throwing a rifle stock on it. Thought it would be a handy little truck gun.
Doing that would land you 10 yrs in prison unless you paid the ATF 200 dollars for their permission to use it as a short barrel rifle. Which is stupid, but thats the rules.

Doing that would land you 10 yrs in prison unless you paid the ATF 200 dollars for their permission to use it as a short barrel rifle. Which is stupid, but thats the rules.
Yeah, I’ll pay the $200 or take my chances. I am friends with several fed and local law officers and have a feeling they have bigger things to worry about than a 14” single shot rifle :)

Long Cut

WKR
CVA Scout 6.5 Creedmoor 20” barrel

7.10# as it lies now with 8 rounds (1 chamber, 2 on side and 5 in pouch with a skinning knife)

The rifle will be chopped down to 16.5” and a suppressor added. This rifle has become my favorite hunting rifle, without a doubt. I do not see myself going back to bolt actions or AR’s for deer hunting. The rifle shoots Sub MOA 5-Shot groups with Nosler 140gr BT’s at 100 yards.

Overall length is comparable to a 10.5” SBR AR15 for reference.

IMG_7986.jpegIMG_7989.jpegIMG_9529.jpegA4371CF2-5E2A-4454-9986-F5CC5CDBD2CE.jpeg

Looking for some help.
My soon to be 7yo son surprised me by wanting to go along with me while deer hunting recently. He stuck it out in the blind with me way longer than I expected a few different days, and wants to keep going.
im thrilled he wants to get out at this age.
He wants to also be able to shoot, so been working teaching safety with him first and foremost. Doing great, so I told him we'd begin shooting together soon with the 22s
I've been trying to figure out a deer rifle for next falls mentored hunt. It's hard to find something that fits someone so little.
PA doesn't allow semis so I can't let him use the pencil barreled AR with collapsible stock that fits him.
This and the CVA mountain rifle thread has given me inspiration. I ordered a 16.5" barreled Cva scout in 300blk. Trying to decide whether to go with the Sharp's Bros, or Farrowtech adapters. It looks like the Sharps and Farrowtech that use the picatinny interface will add some length over the Farrowtech with just the plain tube threads. Looking at folders too, but not sure if any of the configurations will be too long for him right now.
Can anyone tell me what the shortest Length of Pull their setups have with the stocks collapsed and what they are running for parts?
I measured his LOP right now at 9" so would like to get in that ballpark.
Thank you.
(Eta- also posted this in the cva mountain rifle thread)