The maddness...... Picking my next pack.... Help

Well I still have some more of my own research to do but I thought I'd start a thread here looking for hands-on, experienced, advice.

Bottom line is.... Badlands isn't cutting the mustard anymore, I need to upgrade. I have never handled a HIGH end bag, I am basing all my decicions on research and experienced testimonial. I am 90% sold on getting a Kifaru, main reason... I like the frame and belt. As far as bag options I'm still unsure exactly what to get. I've been watching the videos for the new Nomad, seems like a cool idea but I'm still not sure exactly how I would make it work for my hunting. My favorite bag design I've seen so far is the SG Sky, simple and has good pockets, size, cool features, everything I really like. The only thing holding me back it I don't really like the belt, granted I've never worn one. I much prefer the straight pull belt, and the kifaru has that and it looks much more rugged/comfy. So right now I'm thinking Kifaru DT1 with a few pockets/grab-it, ect. I just know its gona cost a small fortune buy the time I have added all the stuff I want. Hoping you guys with MUCH more experience than I can chime in, before I make a call to Kifaru.

Ok now a little info on the type of hunting I do.

Usually about 8-9 miles to base camp. Need to be able to bring 7 days of gear.

Gear includes:

Rifle, Food, 2 pants, 2 shirts, 4/5pr socks, undies, light weight raingear, warm jacket, H20 filter, 48oz nalgene, 100oz bladder, head lamp, knife, radio w extra batteries, game bags, cord, first aid, wet wipes, 10x43 binos, lighter, folding saw, flask of booze, 2.5 lb tent, 20 degree down bag,Thermarest and I'm sure I'm missing a few things. I usually also pack in a small day pack but would like to eliminate that.

Hunting in North California for blacktail deer. Terrain can get pretty nasty at times. Usually end up hunting with in a mile or two of base camp. Sometimes it's nice to be able to half a deer and carry the haves whole back to camp to work on (external frame is great for that scenario).

Features I like:
I like having pockets. Knowing where all my stuff is, not having to dig through a deep bag to get out gear. Gear goes in pockets. Meat, sleeping bag, tent, pad, clothes, go in the big bag. I'm not a light weight extremist.

I like being able to strap things onto the outside of the pack, that is the one thing I liked about my 4500. It had that rubberish cup on the bag to put a rifle butt in and then could just use the compression straps to secure the top end. Jackets and other odds and ends easy to strap on. bottom straps to put a tent and or sleeping pad when filling main bag with meat.

I like a hefty, wide, and tight squeezing hip belt. Hip belt must be top notch, it bares all the weight. On some trips in the past my 4500 hip belt would run out of adjustment on the pack out (heavy pack w a little slimming down after a week in the sh*t).

Pack MUST be able to carry all of my gear plus a whole boned out deer (60-80lbs) and head+cape. This is the bottom line, capacity to carry all of my crap plus animal, many miles. Badlands sent me a new Summit pack top replace my 4500 that totally fell apart. Problem is, it's too small, well that and a bunch of other things. That pack could only carry a boned out deer and maybe half my gear TOPS. I haven't had to pack a whole deer, head, cape, and gear by myself yet, I've always had a friend. However there will be future solo trips and I will need to. My hunting partner did it this year and his pack ended up weighing 145lbs, if that gives you any idea of what I'm trying to accomplish.

gil_wy

Lil-Rokslider
I LOVE the SG Krux frame... You might try it with the 3piece belt and power pulls... Kurt's a great guy to work with and will let you give it a run.

kickemall

WKR
I just got home from the Reno Sheep Show and I'll tell you this - after reading all the threads, watching all the videos and reading every opinion I could there is nothing like hands on, putting it on with weight, talking to the builders and seeing it first hand. I will never buy a pack without trying it on first or maybe with a very liberal return policy if I absolutely couldn't get my hands on one. What you described for your use either the DT1 or better yet the EMR2 on a duplex frame. Both the Kifaru and SG had great belts and wouldn't hesitate on either one. The Kifaru bags have more pockets. This is based on wearing them with weight for a short distance on flat ground so take it for what it is.

InDeep

WKR
I really, really like the dt1 . I have mere 6 days with this pack and have had 84 lbs in for about 50 min on the treadmill at the gym and was floored how it felt suspension wise its crazy ! I was on the fence mainly because of the price for about 8 years! But in that last 8 year I have spent close to 2200.00 on packs on badlands (owned 2 4500's), blacks creek , eberley, kuiu , wolf systems and Gregory . And had I made this switch sooner that's a lot of money saved.. I Really like the belt on the kifuru . It reminds me of the belts on the Gregory packs which are great designs as well! But the versatility of the Duplex frame . I was on the fence but the duplex is what I ended up with and I have started to fall in love with this pack! So whatever buy make sure its one of the two listed above because with either one of these 2 you can't go wrong!

Beastmode

WKR
I was at the Reno sheep show today as well. After checking out most of the top end packs(kifaru, sg, kuiu, mystery ranch and barneys) I am going to put the emr 2 on my duplex frame. I used a dt3 all year this last year and loved it. I was going to get a dt1 for a bigger bag, but I figured I would check out all the options. I decided on the emr 2. It compresses really small and can get huge! I think it is a very versatile pack and will be my go to pack.

I don't have a great deal of experience with a lot of different packs but I have owned a few different brands. I purchased a DT1 two seasons ago and it is no doubt the best pack I've ever owned. I plan on using this pack for many years to come.

ScottR_EHJ

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
The review I put together for 24hourcampfire.com might be helpful. The 6300 from Paradox with the day talon is something to look at for the longer trips. The sky series by SG looks good, but I have only used the Solo. Timberline 1 from Kifaru is a recent pack I traded into, I like the organization. All that to say, if the pack fits well, any of the top end packs offer a bag for your needs.

Well I still have some more of my own research to do but I thought I'd start a thread here looking for hands-on, experienced, advice.

Bottom line is.... Badlands isn't cutting the mustard anymore, I need to upgrade. I have never handled a HIGH end bag, I am basing all my decicions on research and experienced testimonial. I am 90% sold on getting a Kifaru, main reason... I like the frame and belt. As far as bag options I'm still unsure exactly what to get. I've been watching the videos for the new Nomad, seems like a cool idea but I'm still not sure exactly how I would make it work for my hunting. My favorite bag design I've seen so far is the SG Sky, simple and has good pockets, size, cool features, everything I really like. The only thing holding me back it I don't really like the belt, granted I've never worn one. I much prefer the straight pull belt, and the kifaru has that and it looks much more rugged/comfy. So right now I'm thinking Kifaru DT1 with a few pockets/grab-it, ect. I just know its gona cost a small fortune buy the time I have added all the stuff I want. Hoping you guys with MUCH more experience than I can chime in, before I make a call to Kifaru.

Ok now a little info on the type of hunting I do.

Usually about 8-9 miles to base camp. Need to be able to bring 7 days of gear.

Gear includes:

Rifle, Food, 2 pants, 2 shirts, 4/5pr socks, undies, light weight raingear, warm jacket, H20 filter, 48oz nalgene, 100oz bladder, head lamp, knife, radio w extra batteries, game bags, cord, first aid, wet wipes, 10x43 binos, lighter, folding saw, flask of booze, 2.5 lb tent, 20 degree down bag,Thermarest and I'm sure I'm missing a few things. I usually also pack in a small day pack but would like to eliminate that.

Hunting in North California for blacktail deer. Terrain can get pretty nasty at times. Usually end up hunting with in a mile or two of base camp. Sometimes it's nice to be able to half a deer and carry the haves whole back to camp to work on (external frame is great for that scenario).

Features I like:
I like having pockets. Knowing where all my stuff is, not having to dig through a deep bag to get out gear. Gear goes in pockets. Meat, sleeping bag, tent, pad, clothes, go in the big bag. I'm not a light weight extremist.

I like being able to strap things onto the outside of the pack, that is the one thing I liked about my 4500. It had that rubberish cup on the bag to put a rifle butt in and then could just use the compression straps to secure the top end. Jackets and other odds and ends easy to strap on. bottom straps to put a tent and or sleeping pad when filling main bag with meat.

I like a hefty, wide, and tight squeezing hip belt. Hip belt must be top notch, it bares all the weight. On some trips in the past my 4500 hip belt would run out of adjustment on the pack out (heavy pack w a little slimming down after a week in the sh*t).

Pack MUST be able to carry all of my gear plus a whole boned out deer (60-80lbs) and head+cape. This is the bottom line, capacity to carry all of my crap plus animal, many miles. Badlands sent me a new Summit pack top replace my 4500 that totally fell apart. Problem is, it's too small, well that and a bunch of other things. That pack could only carry a boned out deer and maybe half my gear TOPS. I haven't had to pack a whole deer, head, cape, and gear by myself yet, I've always had a friend. However there will be future solo trips and I will need to. My hunting partner did it this year and his pack ended up weighing 145lbs, if that gives you any idea of what I'm trying to accomplish.

You and I have similar tastes and needs. I hunt the mountains of No. AZ, NV and UT and along the Klammath near the OR/CA border and soon the NW Territory (AK & BC). I spoke to Aron and ended up with a DT1/Duplex frame (handles more weight than a Bikini) and two small pockets on the belt and two medium pockets on the pack. It's only seen a week of field use thus far but I am confident it will hold everything I will ever need and once I learned how to adjust it properly and utilize the load lifters effectively (changing occasionally on longer hikes) I absolutely loved it.

You and I have similar tastes and needs. I hunt the mountains of No. AZ, NV and UT and along the Klammath near the OR/CA border and soon the NW Territory (AK & BC). I spoke to Aron and ended up with a DT1/Duplex frame (handles more weight than a Bikini) and two small pockets on the belt and two medium pockets on the pack. It's only seen a week of field use thus far but I am confident it will hold everything I will ever need and once I learned how to adjust it properly and utilize the load lifters effectively (changing occasionally on longer hikes) I absolutely loved it.

Looks good. Are those the medium belt pockets on the side, and grab-it on back?

husky390

WKR
I took my brand new T1 for a test run with 50lbs yesterday and love it. I need to do some fine tuning on the fitment and I'll be good to go. To give you an idea of versatility of these packs, I have a medium belt pouch mounted to the side of the pack, a grab it on the back, and a holster mounted to the belt. I plan to attach an admin pouch on the other side of the belt, probably another medium pouch to the other side of the pack, and a claymore to the standard lid. I have a cargo chair on order as well.

kipper09

WKR
I'm with ya on this one light foot. I was dead set on SG Sky 5100.. I was then set on a nomad, then an emrII.. I am considering the paradox 6300.. I'm trying to get one pack that will do everything.. From 2-3 day hunt to 7-10 day sheep hunt.. If anybody wants too share some thoughts I would love some input.. I think I have confused myself.. Not trying to high jack the thread but thought this May help several people in this situation as I'm sure I'm not the only one who is.

husky390

WKR
What sold me on the T1 was some pics I saw of it condensed down into daypack mode and it only weighed 1 oz more than my Eberlestock Gunslinger which can't haul weight. I ordered mine prior to the Nomad being released but I did get a chance to see one two weeks ago. It's light weight and a pretty cool pack. Think of it like the AR15 of packs since you can easily customize it to how you want it to work for you.

OP
E
So far I'm thinking the EMRII with the belt pockets would be pretty sweet. The design is a little unconventional but makes a ton of sense to me. Looks like it will haul more than I'll be able to carry, which is a good thing. I love the day pack mode too, that is perfect. From base camp I can bring jacket/rain gear, and all field essentials. Once the kill takes place (usually a good poke away from camp, down a nasty canyon), debone and load that sucker up. No going back to camp to get the big bags.

c5mrr270

WKR
Definitely a tough decision. I went to the sheep show and for me the kifaru with flat back stays was the most comfortable, so I at least got the frame narrowed down. Now I'm trying to decide between the nomad, dt1 and emr2. I might be leaning towards the nomad just because I do a lot of day hunts as well as a couple 7-9 day trips a year.

CoHiCntry

WKR
I might be leaning towards the nomad just because I do a lot of day hunts as well as a couple 7-9 day trips a year.

Is the Nomad the only one out of these packs (Nomad, DT1, EMR2) that compresses down to a daypack? I'm looking at these packs too and really want one that functions good as a day pack. Packs I've had in the past that claim to compress down to a daypack were still big, bulky, and IMO to heavy compared to my other designated daypacks.

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
All of the packs you listed will compress down flat to a small day pack.

The weight of the pack, depending on what frame you go with, will be pretty light weight considering the size.

The EMR II with Bikini frame is 5.5 lbs. So you'd be getting an 8400 cubic inch pack for what a lot of daypacks weigh.

Shrek

WKR
Imo they compress well. They are a little heavier but not a lot. I use a T1 and have no issues using it as a day pack. Although I'm not the most experienced the guys who put the most days in the field almost universally go with the one big bag and collapse it down to day hunt. The Nomad is new so there is almost nobody using it yet but the testers. The EMR II is most likely in my future.

Looks good. Are those the medium belt pockets on the side, and grab-it on back?

Correctamundo. Here's a DT1 in daypack mode.

3enadu9y.jpg

Last edited: