The maddness...... Picking my next pack.... Help

bigfish b.c

Lil-Rokslider
So far I'm thinking the EMRII with the belt pockets would be pretty sweet. The design is a little unconventional but makes a ton of sense to me. Looks like it will haul more than I'll be able to carry, which is a good thing. I love the day pack mode too, that is perfect. From base camp I can bring jacket/rain gear, and all field essentials. Once the kill takes place (usually a good poke away from camp, down a nasty canyon), debone and load that sucker up. No going back to camp to get the big bags.

thats what i went with the emr II & bikini for shorter hunts where i will use in day pack mode allot ,at 5.5lbs its as light as my eblerstok x1 day pack & i already have a close to 10 year old duplex frame that i will use with it for my 16 day sheep hunts.my kifaru duplex longhunter is close to 10 years old now & still going strong after many miles & animals.

Scotto

WKR
I understand the madness.....spent two weeks in the Co mountains last September. My new Eberlestock X2 completely underperformed. Bought it on a recommendation. I did workout and train with it before i left for the trip with no problems. Then the real world kicked in. Finished the last several days in the backup North Face Terra 55. The Terra was much better for me. After this experience, i began the search for a real, comfortable do-it-all hunting backpack. I was not going to buy anything without touching and trying it on. The Reno Sheep show provided the perfect venue for me. After looking at all the pack makers websites and reading all the info on sites like Rokslide, i narrowed my choices down to Kifaru, Stone Glacier and the new EXO packs. Since the EXO was not in Reno and i can't/won't wait til April to purchase, that narrowed the choices to Kifaru and Stone Glacier. So last Saturday morning, first thing, I was able to try on the Krux and the Bikini, both i believe had 50# bags of sand. The Stone Glacier was not uncomfortable. The Bikini, with normal profile stays, while not uncomfortable either, tended to sag on me. Then Aron set me up with his personal pack, which has flat back profile stays, and just like that i had found the one. With the EMR2, sand and some sleeping gear the bag weighed about 70# +-. It was the most comfortable 70# i have had on my back. If at all possible, i would recommend anyone thinking of getting their first Kifaru frame and suspension, try to find somewhere to try it on first. Had i ordered it sight unseen, i would have ordered the Normal profile and would have missed out on the most comfortable setup for my body type. Aron and Patrick were great and took the time to make sure all sizing was correct.

I bit the bullet & placed my order with Kifaru yesterday. Can't thank Aron enough for his advice & help.
Went with the Duplex frame & Highcamp 7000 bag. Also a cargo panel & a new Gun Bearer (been using the Gun Bearers on my other packs & LOVE them), all in Foilage.
Kinda scary because I have never seen any Kifaru gear except the Gun Bearers in person. I spent a lot of time reading posts on this & other forums & specifically reading reviews & getting input from folks that do the same type of hunting I anticipate using this pack for. The Duplex & Highcamp 7000 seemed like the best combo for me, especially with the addition of the cargo panel for moose quarters & meat bags. I can add pockets later as (if) needed. Now I will be waiting patiently (NOT) for a month for it to get here so I can start playing with it. When I get it I will let everyone know what the first impression is.
Only 4 months before the bears should be out in force!!! Then hopefully I will have a new report:)

Congrats...now you can start hinting for Kifaru gift cards so you can add pull outs, pockets, compression bags, yada, yada, yada.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I bit the bullet & placed my order with Kifaru yesterday. Can't thank Aron enough for his advice & help.
Went with the Duplex frame & Highcamp 7000 bag. Also a cargo panel & a new Gun Bearer (been using the Gun Bearers on my other packs & LOVE them), all in Foilage.
Kinda scary because I have never seen any Kifaru gear except the Gun Bearers in person. I spent a lot of time reading posts on this & other forums & specifically reading reviews & getting input from folks that do the same type of hunting I anticipate using this pack for. The Duplex & Highcamp 7000 seemed like the best combo for me, especially with the addition of the cargo panel for moose quarters & meat bags. I can add pockets later as (if) needed. Now I will be waiting patiently (NOT) for a month for it to get here so I can start playing with it. When I get it I will let everyone know what the first impression is.
Only 4 months before the bears should be out in force!!! Then hopefully I will have a new report:)

Right on Vance!!! I think you'll really like that setup! It sure works for me and the hunting I do atleast. Congrats on the purchase. However, not fair you get your pack in only a month!!! I ordered mine in December and it won't arrive until April :(. Oh well I think I can make due in the interim ;)

shaun

WKR

Great choice! That system will do everything you want and then some. Sounds like I also might be running the duplex frame this year with the EMR II

Thanks guys. REALLY looking forward to it.
And Luke, that's cause you have to have the latest & greatest. I'm going "old school":)

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Thanks guys. REALLY looking forward to it.
And Luke, that's cause you have to have the latest & greatest. I'm going "old school":)

Pretty sure the hang up on mine is a duplex frame ;) Even if all I ordered was the duplex frame to mount my highcamp I already have it would likely be April...which is fine as this is a good time of year to wait for it.:)

trdhunter

WKR
No time of year is a good time to wait, some times are just better than others. Mine should be here in about two weeks and cant wait to put it to use looking for sheds.