The right questions for biologists..

Pgohil

WKR
Ready to call and speak with a biologists about the GMUs I'm hunting this Sept.

I'm sure they get a ton of calls they go like this: "Hi I'm Bob from state xyz, where do I find elk in unit 123." That has to suck for them to answer.

I want to ask specific questions that yield the best information, but I'm so green at this, I don't know what to ask! I have about 5 areas in mind that seem right to me, but I have zero experience.

How about a few tips on speaking to local biologist to help with the desk scouting process.

Thanks to all.

PD Gohil
WV

Devonian

Lil-Rokslider
I just went through this with a Wyoming biologist and I just went over the areas I was interested in and asked him if it those areas would hold elk in mid September when I was hunting. I didn’t ask him for other areas but he offered up a few spots anyway.
I was looking for more confidence in my plan so that was good enough for me.

The more you show that you've looked into already the better info you'll get.
Comparison questions seem to be the best.
"Does big elk ridge get more hunting pressure than little elk valley?"
5 acres is a small spot. Find a couple more and ask the bio questions that way.
Where is the conversation going to go if you ask about your one spot and he/she says it sucks?

OP
Pgohil

Pgohil

WKR
The more you show that you've looked into already the better info you'll get.
Comparison questions seem to be the best.
"Does big elk ridge get more hunting pressure than little elk valley?"
5 acres is a small spot. Find a couple more and ask the bio questions that way.
Where is the conversation going to go if you ask about your one spot and he/she says it sucks?
Mtnrunner206

5 AREAS, not 5 acres

One thing I've learned about biologists is that they hunt too. If you've researched a specific area and it seems to have decent elk populations and 15% or better success, but then you contact the bio and get steered away from that area, beware. Most likely they are trying to steer you away from an area that they hunt. This has happened to me multiple times. Not to be the negative Nancy on this thread, but I don't always take the biologists endorsement as the final word. One of my best bulls was taken on an OTC tag in an area new to me in my home state that the bio had been pretty persuasive during a phone call. He said bull to cow ratios were lower than the stats on the website purported, and said I could potentially hunt the whole season without finding elk. I scouted it, found elk with a little effort, and killed a great bull on day 3. Use your head, if it seems like elk country and has feed, water, cover, and distance from roads....it's gonna hold elk.

OP
Pgohil

Pgohil

WKR
Man, that's rough. I see your point for sure. I refuse to be the online guy that says" not looking for a honey hole, but.... Etc"
Where should I look? Or whom should I speak to?

Not looking for a honey hole or anything.... HAHAHA!

ElkNut1

WKR
Along the lines of bluetick78!

I have a section in the ElkNut APP for this question & how to go about it. Here's a short part of what's in it & how you need to view your thoughts & decisions! The APP also covers how to hunt any unit you may choose!

ElkNut/Paul

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Pick A Unit! OK, you've chosen a state, great! Now how do you choose a unit in that chosen state? Again, personal Intel is one way! Another way is to consider who's going elk hunting? Are you young, are you aged, is it a mixed group; Whatever the physical capabilities are in a group or a lone hunter consider the terrain you want or need to hunt! Some units or parts of units are steep and rugged where other areas may be more subtle and negotiable for one's age and fitness level. -- Consider calling the Fish & Game region for the part of the state that interests you. Let them know the physical conditioning of the group and what you're looking for in your hunt! Some folks want roaded areas so their ATV can be utilized while others want units that have few trails or roads so they can experience solitude with few to no hunters! These organizations can help you select areas that will fit your needs, those will be the units you want to focus on! Also be aware of any Private Land ownership's that may need to be avoided in certain units, they can also help with this! -- Do not ask questions like where are the elk or how many elk are in the area. How many hunters are there. These questions are what everyone asks, they are not going to give you any secret spot that they or their friends may hunt. Once you choose your unit do your homework in locating elk country! Water, feed and seclusion. This recipe for elk can be had 1/2 mile from roads to miles deep.

OP
Pgohil

Pgohil

WKR
Paul,

I do have you app, and love it!!

I've already selected and bought my otc tags for a GMU. What I am wanting from a biologists is help in narrow down exact locations within the unit. I have already picked out five locations that I feel should hold elk. But having no contact in that area, and having never been there, I do not know. I was hoping the biologists could give me information in regards to Hunter density as well as game density in the drainages and areas I've already e-scouted.

Hope this explains it better.

PD Gohil
WV

Maverick940

Banned
In my several decades of dealing with biologists and game departments and whatnot, across the United States, specific area biologists or regional biologists are pretty free with sharing popular locations where other hunters tend to flock to or where the bulk of the kill happens and/or when that kill occurs. Some biologists will even go as far as "suggesting" locations where a person might be able to escape hunting pressure. But, there's not a biologist worth his salt who's going to even "suggest" a trophy hotspot. However, a particular biologist might (maybe) mention where a notably large animal was killed in the past. Generally speaking, biologists are a good source of information and are worth getting to know.

ElkNut1

WKR
Pgohil, the biologist won't know either, there are no guarantees elk will be there during your stay! You need to trust you've chosen areas that elk will live in or close enough. That's where calling in dark timber & covering ground comes in & glassing the more open country. If you decide on Calling Sequence type setups that's great too. Stay with the areas you selected, that's what hunting is all about. Of course elk live in that country, that is a given! Now study your maps to get a lay of the land & where you'd like to start, it really won't matter as there's a good chance you'll most likely cover all your pre-chosen spots! Good Luck & don't over think it! Use the calling strategies outlined in the APP for your situation, you will find elk & have opportunities! Keep it fun!

p.s. thanks for checking out the APP!

ElkNut/Paul

Last edited:
How much rain has the area had?
Do the drainages your looking at have water?
What's the bull to cow ratio?
What is the elk population?
What are the elk eating?
Is there beatle kill in the area?

To name a few ;)

Brendan

WKR
I'd be very wary of trusting spots that came from a biologist, or a forest service employee, etc. Why? Because with the sheer number of times they talk with people looking for info, think about how many times those spots get given out... I've heard stories of people listening in on phone calls in a FS office where every, single, caller got the same trailhead...

Also - information I got from a Biologist in the area I hunted ended up not being the case for me.

CX5Ranch

WKR
I can get all the info I need from weather maps and Google earth. I'm not about to risk my hunt on information from an unknown source. I trust myself too well to fall into that trap. You should too.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Maverick940

Banned
I can get all the info I need from weather maps and Google earth. I'm not about to risk my hunt on information from an unknown source. I trust myself too well to fall into that trap. You should too.

Valid points. However, a couple things that Google Earth and weather surface charts won't tell you, are hunter density, hunter effort, historic kill rates, composition of the kill. Just sayin' ......

CX5Ranch

WKR
All that information is quickly found through an internet search.

Guys on here wont even mention the unit they're in. Why would the biologist give anything more?

Maverick940

Banned
All that information is quickly found through an internet search.

Only in the most vague terms, if at all. In the two states that I guide in, you can't find that unit/area specific information by way of an internet search. The only way you can get it in those two states (per individual unit or specific area) is by obtaining actual hard-core data from the departments.

11boo

WKR
My only experience with the biologist was a positive one. We had two cows down on a SWA property, I went back to the truck for the toboggan and met the guy in the parking lot. He wanted dna samples, and was going to drive to our kills to get them. I said let me follow in my truck, Pleeeeease. He says sure. Easiest elk ever. He even helped get the one cow we hadn’t quartered yet in.

View attachment 76389

I have found most biologist to be a great reverse barometer. If I ask about a general area and they try to steer me elsewhere, I know I’m in a good spot. If they say it’s a good area, I look elsewhere. Most bios are hunters too. This holds true in most otc units in Montana. Limited entry I have no experience with.

Being able to engage with him about the areas will get suggestions you didn't even ask for. These guys are doing public service wildlife management work for the love of it. Not the money. They want to help you. They will share what they know if you engage them in their passion. Calling and simply asking about an area is going to get a simple answer. Calling and asking about an area with knowledge of access points, certain landmarks, etc.. will get you far more details. And, often results in a conversation that leads to helpful hints. Good luck and God Bless