The Shoot2hunt Podcast

Lawnboi

WKR
Agree, it would be great for Lapua to run a bunch. My pile of lapua 223 brass has a ton of reloads through it, several thousand rounds. I'm finally getting some split necks and soft primer pockets. I picked up a bunch of the starline 556 brass to try, we'll see how that goes.
My plan is to try some Starline. Been shooting ADI and it’s great brass but the primers are not going to make it like lapua does.

I understand though hearing it, sounds like smaller cases are a whole different setup. Hard to justify even for something like 223 that will sell good.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I'd be interested in your thoughts on wind:

- At what range do you start to account for it? I.E. under 15mph ignore under 300yds, etc.

At all ranges. It’s takes way less than 15mph at 300 yards to miss and/or wound.

- Thoughts on reading wind through reticle versus wind meter at gun?

Wind everywhere matters- gun, mid way, target, and everywhere in between.

- when to go for a sight in shot?

Way past where people should be shooting.

Moose83

Lil-Rokslider
@Formidilosus do you think you could go into more detail about the section where you described the mental calculations for determining the mils based off of the range number for under 600 yds. Where I am I can't possibly think of any reason to shoot at an animal over 500 yds and I hate fiddling with an app so this sounded very interesting to me. Thanks

@Formidilosus do you think you could go into more detail about the section where you described the mental calculations for determining the mils based off of the range number for under 600 yds. Where I am I can't possibly think of any reason to shoot at an animal over 500 yds and I hate fiddling with an app so this sounded very interesting to me. Thanks
page 4 of this thread. https://rokslide.com/forums/threads/mk5-hd-vs-nx8-thoughts.245782/page-4
i have it saved bc it's been one of the most helpful threads I've seen on this forum. I am also a fan of the lock screen dope. thx again form

Arent you an Aussie or kiwi? ADI used to be awesome in their Australian outback line, newer ADI stuff sold in the states doesn’t seem as good. I wonder if the good stuff is still out there.. newer stuff still seems adequate.
I haven’t use much of it

grfox92

WKR
At all ranges. It’s takes way less than 15mph at 300 yards to miss and/or wound.

Wind everywhere matters- gun, mid way, target, and everywhere in between.

Way past where people should be shooting.
I missed a calf elk this year at 268 yards with a .308 shooting 178 ELDM. I was prone on a bipod with my pack as a rear bag. Had all the time in the world, was rock solid and broke a clean shot, with no doubt in my mind about my execution.

40mph wind coming from the 10 O'clock position at a downward angle. Clean miss. There was snow and zero blood. Watched her run with the heard for miles.

At just over 250 yards I wasn't expecting that. But it's the only explanation. I checked the guns zero and it was still on. Learning experience for sure.

Sent from my SM-G990U2 using Tapatalk

prm

WKR
Lots of good common sense in the latest. I enjoyed listening on the motorcycle ride to work today. Part of the discussion reminded me of a question I had years ago about powder manufacturers claiming their powders met military standard (temp stability). My testing showed some powders, including one specific powder that met the mil spec, really did not perform that well. I decided to look up the standard. It was essentially useless. If it went ‘bang’ in the cold, it probably passed. Beware the ill defined call to authority.

Last edited:

Moose83

Lil-Rokslider
Good one today. Could you get @Formidilosus to go over the 'good gun, average gun, bad gun' in a future podcast. I've got my head around the quick drop thing but I'm unclear how to apply the 'good gun etc.' thing to it. Thanks

ehayes

FNG
There is a link about 10 posts back that explains the bad, average, good.

My .30-06 worked perfect as an average gun.

I just ran a 6.5 prc 143 eldx at 2960 fps through the good gun. In this case the mils don’t march out equally. They incrementally require more mil adjustment.

400-1.5 (-2.5)
500-2.2 (-2.8)
600-2.9 (-3.1)
700-3.8 (-3.2)

How would one account for this?

mddat

FNG
Excited about the online class, for someone like myself not being able to attend in person, this will be very useful I believe

ElPollo

WKR
The online class seems like it will be a great resource for those who can’t make the live one. Looking forward to taking it.

prm

WKR
What percentage of material that would be presented online is actually available right here? Not being sarcastic, thats an actual question.

Check out the course THLR put out. Piece that with some of what is presented here and then apply with lots of field time and the possibility to improve is real.