Things to do near West Yellowstone, MT

kravguy

WKR
The family and I will be in this area for a week. Any cool spots to grab some eats or sweet things to do while we are out there?

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

CorbLand

WKR
Stop by the Rustic Candy Shop and load up on the huckleberry taffy.

Saw tons of bears about a month ago around Tower and Lamar Valley. Be there early in the morning for way less people.

Quake Lake, ropes course in West.
There is a shooting range in town that has full auto machine guns to shoot. $100 for a rifle and pistol combo. $100 gone in 1 second but man it’s fun.

Jimmy

Lil-Rokslider
We went through and the best coffee I found was Mountain Mommas cafe that serves Starbucks coffee and makes some tasty breakfast burritos to go.

Other than that the most fun we found was watching other, dumber tourists. Seeing the panic in their eyes as they ran past with their cameras, worried they weren't going to be able to run up the hill after the momma bear fast enough to get a good picture.

Not sure how close you will be, but Chico Hot Springs might be an option for the kiddos, (20 minutes south of Livingston.)

Buffalo Bar had good food and some really impressive taxidermy.

There is also a wolf and grizzly rehab facility in town that was really interesting.

CCooper

WKR
2nd the Buffalo Bar and the wolf center. Both great stops.

Drive over to Ennis- Willie's Distillery is worth a stop as well.

TaperPin

WKR
The camera shop on the main road rents nice optics if you ever wanted to try something new. The prices were pretty good and they also have digiscoping mounts for sale or rent - I bought one for what it would have been on Amazon. The owner is really helpful.

OP
K

kravguy

WKR
Thanks for the suggestions. This worked pretty good when we stopped in Kalispell a few years ago.

Scrappy

WKR
https://maps.app.goo.gl/xDjTtSwnawa6Jb636

A little bit of a drive from west Yellowstone but they have some awesome giant pancakes with supper thick cut bacon. Drive up early and you will see all kinds of wildlife. After breakfast it's just a couple miles up to earthquake lake visitor center. It's one heck of a story. Then on up to Ennis for lunch. Any of the roads up to the national forest will get you into seeing critters without the tourist but don't spread the word.Screenshot_20230815_193203_Maps.jpg

Last edited:
OP
K

kravguy

WKR
https://maps.app.goo.gl/xDjTtSwnawa6Jb636

A little bit of a drive from west Yellowstone but they have some awesome giant pancakes with supper thick cut bacon. Drive up early and you will see all kinds of wildlife. After breakfast it's just a couple miles up to earthquake lake visitor center. It's one heck of a story. Then on up to Ennis for lunch. Any of the roads up to the national forest will get you into seeing critters without the tourist but don't spread the word.View attachment 589252
Much appreciated. That is actually closer to where we are staying, so thats perfect.

Scrappy

WKR
Much appreciated. That is actually closer to where we are staying, so thats perfect.

Get there early the place is pretty small. The veiw out the window is second to none. Now I want Pancakes..

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230816_052820_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20230816_052820_Photos.jpg
    156.5 KB · Views: 24

Turkeytider

Lil-Rokslider
One of the things I`d try to do would be to find a nice, quiet spot with a great view and sit with a cup of coffee and watch the sun come up. God gave us such beauty if we just take a moment to take it in.

Yellowstone Brewing (beer?) Company, TR’s Burgers and Brats, any of the three taco buses (canyon st, hwy 20 and on dunraven st) Buff bar or Hanks for food. Grizzly Wolf Discovery center is definitely cool and everyone says the IMAX is awesome but still haven’t made it in there. Quake visitor center is well worth the stop as well. Have fun!

WCB

WKR
kids? ages? Virginia City west of Ennis isn't a bad couple hour stop. Historic town...couple decent places to eat, Candy shop and good ice cream shop. Fish is an obvious answer. Whatever you do....get up early and do it. You avoid possible heat and the major crowds.