Thinking about ditching my Kifaru Fulcrum/Duplex Lite for an EXO K4 5000.

My packs have been Kuiu ->Exo K3->Kifaru Tactical w/hoodlum-->Exo K4 5k. I compared the Kifaru tactical w/hoodlum and the K4 side by side all summer. Trained with 50+ lb sandbag. The bag is what won out for me. The belt fit just a touch better on the Exo, maybe. It was pretty close. The bag layout, especially the lid of the Exo makes a huge difference. Coming from the K3 I had (the BRO edition bag) the K4 5K layout was similar so it made my organization fluid. The hoodlum lid (or lack of one) sucked and I didn't like the idea of a guide lid situation. It also felt like all the gear just dumped in the bottom. I was running 3 pockets on the back for some of that quick organization, but it was just extra weight to do what the K4 already did. I considered the mag series, but the 44 seemed small and the Ma Deuce seemed like I would pack a station wagon. Anyway if kifaru had a bag a little more organized (for my needs) it would have been a much tougher choice. The belt and frame were great on the kifaru though. I would have picked a 7200 on the K4, but it's the horshoe entry on the 5K that sold me. I have grown use to that a lot (started with Kuiu). If they put it on the 7200 I would have done it.

Enjoy the gear experimentation. I think any of the kifaru, SG, Exo, Kuiu, MR ect all have a place and would work well if it fits your needs.

Last edited:
OP
B
My packs have been Kuiu ->Exo K3->Kifaru Tactical w/hoodlum-->Exo K4 5k. I compared the Kifaru tactical w/hoodlum and the K4 side by side all summer. Trained with 50+ lb sandbag. The bag is what won out for me. The belt fit just a touch better on the Exo, maybe. It was pretty close. The bag layout, especially the lid of the Exo makes a huge difference. Coming from the K3 I had (the BRO edition bag) the K4 5K layout was similar so it made my organization fluid. The hoodlum lid (or lack of one) sucked and I didn't like the idea of a guide lid situation. It also felt like all the gear just dumped in the bottom. I was running 3 pockets on the back for some of that quick organization, but it was just extra weight to do what the K4 already did. I considered the mag series, but the 44 seemed small and the Ma Deuce seemed like I would pack a station wagon. Anyway if kifaru had a bag a little more organized (for my needs) it would have been a much tougher choice. The belt and frame were great on the kifaru though. I would have picked a 7200 on the K4, but it's the horshoe entry on the 5K that sold me. I have grown to used to that a lot (started with Kuiu). If they put it on the 7200 I would have done it.

Enjoy the gear experimentation. I think any of the kifaru, SG, Exo, Kuiu, MR ect all have a place and would work well if it fits your needs.
Perfect thanks for the input! I was going back and forth between the 7200 and the 5000 and similarly the horseshoe zipper kinda sold me. I think I should be able to make the 5000 work, just might have to be a bit more efficient when I pack.

I had been using the same Kifaru frame (duplex or bikini… I don’t remember but I got it in 2016) for the last 8 years for spring and fall hunting as well as summer and winter backpacking trips. Started with an Argali bag and then to a Hoodlum. They performed great overall and I was very minimal in the pouches I added. That said they were heavy and difficult to get into (Argali). The Hoodlum was easier but I found myself never wanting to get stuff out cause it was a pain.

After my main season was over I bought a K4 5000. Jury is still out for long term performance. But so far I’ve used it for about a week late season archery hunting, and packed out a mule deer last Friday. Base weight it’s a few pounds lighter.. and although it’s got plenty of straps I find it easier to get things from the side pockets and main compartment. The frame fits me just as well as the Kifaru but seems to feel more like a part of me (Also… that Kifaru frame is beat to hell so maybe it just needs a new belt, straps, and stays).
Packing out the mule deer it did great. Taking the bag on and off the frame to load the meat was a very intuitive and simple process. For me, once I put the pack back on and put the hip belt and lumbar pad up high where it needs to go it rode great.

So far so good. I plan to get some more time this winter and spring with the K4 but the initial impressions for me are solid.

Perfect thanks for the input! I was going back and forth between the 7200 and the 5000 and similarly the horseshoe zipper kinda sold me. I think I should be able to make the 5000 work, just might have to be a bit more efficient when I pack.
You nailed it. I to sometimes wish I had the 7200 to to be able to throw gear in and go. However I did and 8 day trip in the k4 5000 with nothing strapped outside. I had everything in the pack including a 77mm spotting scope.but if I was doing anything more then 7-8 days I would jump to 7200. Also if I’d ever use a synthetic sleeping back go 7200.

pc3

WKR
Per the title…

I’ve used the Kifaru exclusively since 2019 for pretty much all my pack needs. Primarily spike hunting 2-4 days at a time during rifle season for elk. It’s served me well, I don’t really have any major gripes. Bottom line it works, it’s comfortable, and it’s versatile.

But I’ve started to kinda explore what other options are out there, and if it’s worth it to try something new. Packs are highly personal, and I don’t want to spend the time and expense selling the kifaru to buy something new and just be disappointed.

“Issues” I have with the Kifaru…

Holy shit it’s “strappy.” I feel like I have to undo a minimum of 3 buckles to get anything out of the pack, especially in day pack mode. Looking at the K4 design it seems to be easier to organize and get to stuff without undoing the whole pack.

It’s about a lb heavier than the EXO. It’s built like a tank, but I’d imagine if I could cut a lb off my sleep system or shelter I probably would, so why not my pack?

I’m sorta in between waist sizes with the Kifaru. I use a small, and even bought a medium to try for a bit but was worried it would stretch and I’d be in a world of hurt. But the small lacks some real estate on my hips.

The load shelf on the fulcrum is damn near unusable. I tried 2x years in a row to use it, gave up and now just shove quarters in the massive main compartment.

The only concern I have with the K4 is size. The fulcrum is a huge pack, and despite being very dialed with my gear at this point and very weight conscious, I still manage to damn near fill the thing for a 3-4 day spike hunt in Oct. Maybe that just happens because it’s bigger and I don’t have to be as “smart” with how I pack?

I could go with the larger K4, but with my style of hunting and use the 5000 seems like the right pack. When I bought the fulcrum I had no idea how I was going to hunt, so I wanted a pack that could literally do it all.
Being a few years into doing this successfully, I’m pretty dialed and doubt I’d be in a scenario where I’d spend more than 5 days in the backcountry on purpose.

Any input from folks that have tried both?
You could grab a Maduece on close out and add that to your duplex lite fram...minimal straps heaps of organisation

OP
B
You could grab a Maduece on close out and add that to your duplex lite fram...minimal straps heaps of organisation
Already made the switch…

Haven’t used it on a western hunt yet, but took it with me duck hunting of all things this week and so far I love it. Organization and ease of compression are much superior and well worth the switch.

pc3

WKR
Already made the switch…

Haven’t used it on a western hunt yet, but took it with me duck hunting of all things this week and so far I love it. Organization and ease of compression are much superior and well worth the switch.
I actually wonder what Kifaru are coming out with in the way of expedition packs, all their expedition packs bar the dall and one other are on closeout.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
O got the fulcrum right when I came out back in 2017 or so. There were some things I really liked about it and I always felt like it carried really well with the tactical frame but it was a whole big deal whenever I needed to get in and out of it.

There were a LOT of straps everywhere and anytime I’d take anything out of the bag, I’d need to adjust all of them.

Mine didn’t have the load shelf, I think that came later. I do remember being sort of shocked when I threw my pack on a scale and realized it weighed almost 10lbs…empty. (That’s pack, frame, lid and a few medium pockets). The only reason o moved on from it was the weight of the setup.