This Happened To Me - 2022

S.Clancy

WKR
We were elk hunting last weekend, last morning I caught some stomach bug and had to shit 8 times in just over 3 hours. That my friends is exhausting.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
We were elk hunting last weekend, last morning I caught some stomach bug and had to shit 8 times in just over 3 hours. That my friends is exhausting.
That's what they make Imodium for. Even during the offseason, if I can't find any around the house I know I can find some in my pack.......along with pain killers, steroids, and antibiotics. My pack is always the priority placement for these things. ;)

OP
cnelk

cnelk

WKR
This past summer I purchased some Bose hearing aids.
Wonderful addition to the worlds sounds. I can hear things I haven’t heard in a long time.

The other night, I was sitting in one of my favorite elks spots. Making some mews every so often.
The evening was calm cool and very quiet.

Right before dark, someone whispered “Low Battery” in my right ear.

I damn near jumped outta my camo!

McMuffins or Croissanwiches?
Lmao. We came out of the elk woods after a week . Stopped at McDonald's got a mcmuffin meal and and a 2 fer . Asked my buddy if he wanted another one . He was good . Ate all 3 with of course a diet coke and hashbrowns . He said he'd never seen anyone eat like that. Must have an iron stomach . Just got kinda of sleepy . Got home and stepped on the scale and lost weight this week even after eating a massive calorie brunch !. Be safe out their fellas. Didn't read the whole thread, but not sure if you younger guys are aware of one of the old hunting magazine's used to to have a monthly "this happened to me " story with animated drawings . Was always a highlight .

@KickinNDishin was not present so MY touchless method was unavailable.

I use the thumb pinch method, I am unaware of an alternative.

Basically, I pinch the wipe as per normal procedure and reached around my glutes to get to the poo. Immediately prior to venturing between my cheeks, where presumably some refuge from the breeze existed, the breeze blew and the wipe folded over. This was unexpected and I was not prepared for an immediate and hasty abort.

This is the goal. I have added a target for clarity.
View attachment 451830

Since I was unaware that the wipe folded over in the breeze, my mind followed through with the intention of being on target. I have illustrated for clarity.
View attachment 451831

In the future I will be more careful when wiping when a breeze is about.
Wasnt in Wyoming bye any chance, 😉

nphunter

WKR
I had the most messed up thing ever happen to me today.

First thing this morning I get into some elk, lost the herd and had to relocate, ended up finding them around 8, I put myself in a perfect spot, called the herd bull and he came on a string. When he came into the shooting lane at 40, I stopped him with a cow call and shot, the arrow went much higher than I wanted hitting just below the spine. I watched him run off and shortly after his dozen cows blew out. I followed his tracks and found blood. I then tracked him a few hundred yards off of the ridge toward the road below. I am color blind so I decided to call my wife and kid to come help, I met them down at the Highway and decided to drive the lower road and walk up to last blood from the bottom which is only a couple hundred yards.

I picked them up and I am almost to the spot where we’re going to get out, I turn the corner to see an unbelievable sight! The bull I shot was standing in a roadside pond stuck in the mud, two guys were in the road one with a bow. I pull up and stop and the bull looks like a pin cushion with five arrows sticking out of him, but still very alive. The guy told me he was out of arrows and the other person there had lent him a couple that he also shot into the bull. I look through my binos and see an arrow sticking out of the bull right where I hit him but I could’t tell the fletching color due to moss, My son looks through the binos and says he’s 200% sure it’s my arrow in the bull, a 6 fletch arrow which they’ve helped me fletch.

I hopped out and offered to shoot the bull for him and just as I got down to the bull the guy’s brother/buddy showed up with more arrows. This guy then takes another shot with a totally random arrow from the road and shoots the bull in the spine. I’m a little frustrated over the piss poor shooting and ethics and told the guy to walk down to the bull right on the edge of the water at 10 yards and shoot him through the lungs! This entire time the bull is struggling and jumping in pain every time an arrow hits him, the guy shoots again from 10 yards and shoots the bull too high! My 13 year old son, which is killed a pile of animals starts bawling at the sight of the bull suffering so much and I jump in the truck and drive off so him and my wife don’t have to watch.

I drove back past 5 minutes later and the bull was still alive:( I drove my wife down to her vehicle and talked to my son and apologized he had to whiteness something like that. After they were calm I drove back up to verify my arrow was in the bull and they had already dragged the elk with the truck. I asked the guy if it was shot when he found it and he said, “what if it F’ing was!” I told him I’d just like to know so I didn’t have to spend the rest of the day searching for a bull. I was told I better go look for my bull then because he shot that bull. I left my number and asked them to call if they find my arrow and broadhead in it.

I call back my wife and she ran my kid home and came to help me track the bull I shot. We got on blood and ended up spending the next few hours tracking blood from the the ridge top down to the pond!

It’s my assumption that the bull was sick and dropped off of the ridge and then got stuck crossing the water, the rig must have shown up and saw him and emptied their quiver from the road. The guy who said he shoot it up in the trees and it ran into the pond just so happened to be parked right on the edge of the pond with his vehicle.

The bull was about 600 yards from where I first shot an hour earlier. I’m happy the bull was found and didn’t go to waste. I feel very bad about how it ended up dying, stuck in the mud with some piss poor shot flinging 3 different kind of arrows at him, last I saw he had 1 in the guts, 2 in the spine, 1 in the ass and mine high through his lungs.

I took the wife to dinner after and when we left the restaurant we saw the guy driving around with the bull in the back of his truck.
ABE92B35-4A27-48F8-9F06-431D19AC1A8D.jpeg

When I got home I shot my bow and my 40 pin was 6” high, the rest of my pins were dead on still and after looking closely the little fiber tube on my pin got popped loose and the pin was spun downward which cause the inaccuracy. I straighten the pin and glued all of them, if I’d have shot my bow more during the season I would have mostly likely saved myself a lot of grief.

I really hope this messed up experience doesn’t tarnish my sons love of hunting, I’ve never seen him that upset in the 13 years he’s been alive. It was defiantly hard to watch that bull get shot over and over by that clown. I wish I would have called them in for shooting from the road!

In the end I’m still happy the bull was recovered and didn’t go to waste. Defiantly the most messed up thing that has ever happened to me archery hunting!!

Last edited:

eddielasvegas

WKR & Chairman of the Rokslide Welcoming Committee
Classified Approved
What a story nphunter. I mean, what a story! The world is full of the people like you encountered and they seem to be multiplying like rabbits.

Not trying to MMQB you but why in the world would you leave your number with that azzhat after the way he replied to you?

Eddie

nphunter

WKR
What a story nphunter. I mean, what a story! The world is full of the people like you encountered and they seem to be multiplying like rabbits.

Not trying to MMQB you but why in the world would you leave your number with that azzhat after the way he replied to you?

Eddie
I left it with his buddy that showed up to help him.

Lmao. We came out of the elk woods after a week . Stopped at McDonald's got a mcmuffin meal and and a 2 fer . Asked my buddy if he wanted another one . He was good . Ate all 3 with of course a diet coke and hashbrowns . He said he'd never seen anyone eat like that. Must have an iron stomach . Just got kinda of sleepy . Got home and stepped on the scale and lost weight this week even after eating a massive calorie brunch !. Be safe out their fellas. Didn't read the whole thread, but not sure if you younger guys are aware of one of the old hunting magazine's used to to have a monthly "this happened to me " story with animated drawings . Was always a highlight .
That was Outdoor Life. When I was a boy that was my favorite part of the magazine.

svivian

WKR
Adding on to shit for this season…

Driving up to my camp this weekend I spot a bull and 10 cows 300 yards off the road!!! Hop out of my truck grab the bow.

Backstory here: a month before season I was nock tuning. A cracked nock broke and derailed my bow so I am using my buddies with the same draw that I have shot out to 80 with.

Sneak into 90 yards with flip flops, basketball shorts and a cut off. I cow call and the bull chases his cows off… I blew it!

But the bull is no where to be seen. Finally I move over and spot the bull looking my direction. With no bugle tube I said f*** it and bugle using my hand to amplify it. He answers back.

20 minutes of back and forth him hung up at 90 I said screw it and charged down the ridge and up making a bit of nose cracking tree limbs as I go and rip another bugle.

The bull finally bites and comes in for a perfect 40 yard shot. As he comes behind the tree I draw. Cow call and stop him. Release and completely miss under. WTF!!

Walk down and as I bend over to grab my arrow my sight falls out of the bow. My dumbass, not used to the bow, forgot I had to loosen the sight and slide it in to fit inside my case…

Lessons learned

deadend88

Lil-Rokslider
I had an AZ Elk tag (my last resident tag since I just moved back to CO) in a recent burned unit that was mostly closed due to burn scar flooding. Luckily, I took a bull last year in a spot that was not closed. Chased a really nice 300 + bull last year in there but ended up taking a raghorn on day 13, 20 minutes after the shot as I am picking up my arrow, he's standing there staring at me. I get in night before opener, sure enough, he made it through rifle season and had some nice growth throughout the year. Opening day, he's no where to be found, back up a canyon in his bed as no need to water with the amount of moisture they've had. Day two, expecting a little rain...sure enough, it gets Western real quick with a downpour, hail and I ride it out in my truck. Flash flood hits, taking my camp down stream. Weather breaks for a few, pick up what I can find, shelter, sleeping bag, cot, throw it in the back and realize if I don't get off that mountain, I might not be able to get out. On the way out, boulder coming down the mountain crushes my right side rocker panel and snaps the welds on my rock sliders...No way back on that mountain and a drenched camp that will take 3 days to dry out...ate the tag and came back to CO to go OTC. Heading out in the morning to keep Sept alive!

Man it’s crazy how sharp todays broadheads are.
I had a bow blow up at full draw.
Had to act as search and rescue for a guy that was missing for about 12hrs.
Got Covid second day of a hunt.
All within the past month! Rough start to the season here.
I get to add another one! After 3 days packed in was coming out to relocate, truck wouldn’t start. Had to get towed off the mountain into the nearest town 2hrs away.