Thoughts/advice on Wirehaired Pointing Griffons?

jaredgreen

Lil-Rokslider
Mine is definitely prone to bark at unfamiliar things. She doesn't carry on, but that's one of the only things she's stubborn about.

Cross

Lil-Rokslider
A healthy bark is all I would need; if a situation needs to be elevated we have other tools for that ��. I don't need or really want the aggressive nature some breeds have.

Family dog first
Hunting dog second

OP
N
Awesome, thank you all for your responses. I was able to visit a breeder in Idaho this last weekend and fell in love with the WPG's that I met and now are looking for a litter. Just a couple more questions for you guys.

Health conditions--what do they have? I've been reading across the internet and keep seeing hip dysplasia (seems pretty much a given in a hunting dog) and something about small hairs in their ears that need plucked occasionally? The dysplasia I think I understand, but what can you guys that have WPG's tell me about the ear thing? I mentioned it to the breeder this weekend and he said the only thing he has to fight with on his dog is that he loves rubbing his face in the grass and gets seeds and junk built up in them. Are there any other things that you guys have experience with as far as their health issues?

Does anyone have a comparison between a WPG and a pudelpointer (own one of each, have a hunting buddy with one or the other)? Just curious about the differences/similarities.

Any of you guys with WPG's that live in town- any trouble with them jumping fences? I only have a 3' tall fence around my house and just am curious if I should invest in some taller fencing.

WyoElk

WKR
We don't have any ear issues with ours but we do trim her beard and eye hair up pretty regularly. Ours show no signs of jumping fences either. Can't speak to puddlepointers other than I've heard good things about them.

FNG
No real ear issues but I do occasionally pluck the hair in his ears (he seems to enjoy it). If you start when they are pups it's pretty easy.

Mine does have an insane prey drive and chases squirrels in the back yard all day. I have a tall fence so no issue with him jumping it, a shorter fence and he might. If it became an issue you could get one of the wireless pet containment systems.

We have hunted with a couple pudelpointers and they are great dogs too!

I don't consider eye, ear or paw problems to be health issues. They are simply the cost of being a world class bird dog.

I don't have any experience with GWPs other then they are really cool looking. I do, however, have lots of experience with eye contusions, crap in the ears, cut, cracked and frozen paws and lots and lots and lots of experience with burrs. With the exception prickly pear, a show stopper, none of these have ever slowed down my pup. Just the price of business.

932bb322561b40b5dba2ec53c98dc2f6.jpg

Broomd

WKR
Our female gets cracked nails on occasion, not quite sure why.
Both of their hips are slowly giving way, especially Alf, but he is almost 15 years old.
Maggie's aren't as bad, but she is working on 13 years old now.

If those problems persisted in 6-8 year old dogs, it would be a defect--a genetic issue.

If I could give advice to any prospective griff owner (or any dog) I'd recomnend QUALITY FOOD. I am referring to all natural food, free of fillers, corn, etc.
So many dogs get cancers and diseases due to the horrible foods provided by their owners. Many dog foods are loaded with artificial colors, flavors, etc. And for many dogs, that is all they eat.
Our dogs get lots of game meat scraps and pieces with their food. A good Fall with the elk, deer, etc, means extra goodies for them too. We'll always keep the heart, liver etc, and grind it to be added to their nuggets.

Broomd

WKR
Pudelpointers are fine dogs, ....when breeding the original Wirehaired Griffon, the dutchman Korthal used the poodle, shorthair, and bloodhound for the basis for the WPG breed.

I figure the poodle is already bred in......

2ski

WKR
DO NOT EVER SHAVE A GRIFF. You will ruin its coat and it won't come back the same. A lot of griffs will fall asleep when you are plucking the hair out of their ears. And I've heard it said of a griff, if someone comes to rob you they would just a soon show them around the house where everything is. They're pretty friendly dogs. Depends on the individual dog though. As far as heath issues, do your research on breeders. Hips should be certified in the parents. If you go to versatiledogs.com, there is a dude there names orhunter. Harvey is all about getting people onto good griffs. He knows what's going on.

Broomd

WKR
Respectfully, that's baloney...
We've shaved our griffs many times over the years during the heat of Summer; makes no difference whatsoever.
If anything, the coat comes in better due the absence of old knots and trouble spots.

clusk01

FNG
Hello, I have a young WPG (he will be 2 years old in July).

He is pretty high energy in spurts (we also have a lab and compared to the lab he is definitely "high energy") but he lives in the house with us so it is certainly manageable. He is still a pup too. From the other Griff's I've seen I think he will probably get a bit more mellow as he matures.

He is quite smart and as posted above, if I don't give him lots of chores and training he will get into trouble.

We crate him all night but my wife works at home so we don't need to crate him much during the day. I would be a little concerned about crating any dog all day.

I live in Western WA so we don't deal with the heat much. I did take him to Cambridge ID on a chukar hunt, it was pretty hot, he did fine.

He is eager to please. This is my first pointer and versatile hunting dog and so it's all new to me but with a little help from some more experienced guys the training has come pretty easy.

The last thing I'll say is he is a big lover dog and very social. I have yet to see him posture with another dog, he is great with kids and I wouldn't trade him for the world.

Send me a pm if you want more info or the name of the breeder.
Reviving an old thread and replying because I’m too new of a user. Would you mind sending me the suggested breeder?