Choosing a Dog

Check out Llewellin setters. I just got a pup in august, they’re great. I’ve hunted over several and have two buddies that own six between them. Great in the house and the field.

yfarm

WKR
Was a lab guy my entire life now at age 70 have a 2y/o gsp. Its been fun, I run her every morning off leash next to me on a bicycle. Burns off her energy, walking this dog doesnt cut it. Run her for about a half an hour while I’m in 9-10th gear riding at a good pace. Amazing how she runs effortless just floating along. Wish I had made the move years ago. First female I’ve had, very intelligent dog though my labs were as well.

Rieckman

Lil-Rokslider
I had a similar situation about a year and half ago, except my wife isn't allergic, but didn't want a dog that was shedding. Long story short I met with a breeder of Deutsch Drahthaar a couple times, and met the mother, and saw pictures of the father. Interactions with the puppies and mother were good, and the dog has turned out excellent this far with our newborn and being in the house.

A buddy was in a similar situation and went with a Pudelpointer, which he needed for the allergy reasons. both are excellent dogs.

KHNC

WKR
GSP is a fine way to go for what you are looking for. However, here is one tiny piece of advice.

GET A FEMALE!!!! Having a male could be described as being a prison warden for the life of the dog.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
GSP is a fine way to go for what you are looking for. However, here is one tiny piece of advice.

GET A FEMALE!!!! Having a male could be described as being a prison warden for the life of the dog.
I have had both, and I could not disagree more, while females I have had are good hunting and family dogs, the males I have had are much nicer, as my wife puts it, they are much sweeter. Also the females hunt for themselves while the males hunt for you. I have had two females and three males.

Last edited:
Reactions: WRO

KHNC

WKR
I have had both, and I could not disagree more, while females I have had are god hunting and family dogs, the males I have had are much nicer, as my my puts it, they are much sweeter. Also the females hunt for themselves while the males hunt for you. I have had two females and three males.
I guess it comes to training then. The males seem to leave the country on walkabouts otherwise. Our female is a super sweet lap dog. Absolutely wont stay off your lap in the evenings when we sit down to watch tv.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
I guess it comes to training then. The males seem to leave the country on walkabouts otherwise. Our female is a super sweet lap dog. Absolutely wont stay off your lap in the evenings when we sit down to watch tv.
Speaking of lap dogs. Mr.RommleMe and Rommel.jpegr Rommel. His is gone now. He was a great hunter and friend.

Zak406

Lil-Rokslider
I have had both, and I could not disagree more, while females I have had are god hunting and family dogs, the males I have had are much nicer, as my my puts it, they are much sweeter. Also the females hunt for themselves while the males hunt for you. I have had two females and three males.
I've got to disagree I have had 2 female and 1 male gsp.

The male is definitely more velcro-e but he can be bad. He is also muxh more high strung. Don't get me wrong he is my buddy but he's more of a handful than either of my females ever were.

The male does point better and hunts faster. The female is more reserved and calmer.

As of today the female is 8 the male is 7.

ndbuck09

WKR
I too am a GSP guy, do field trials and use a pro trainer for our dog. Within the world of GSP's there are many many varieties and flavors of breeding lines to choose from. Close working dogs and wide ranging dogs that operate on casts of 4-500 yds. Then with GSP's there are many lines that are pretty high strung and there are ones that are proven calm because that has been selected for in a breeding program.

I classify our GSP as fairly high strung. We didn't know much about dog stuff when we got him but have learned. The breeder we got him from doesn't factor in calmness as much as other traits, just purely their ability in the field and conformation. The trainer we use in Washington definitely factors in calmness in his breedings as we've had friends GSPs from his lines at our house and even though they were under 2, they were calmer than our at the time 3yr old after getting home from 12 hrs in the kennel in the car.

We take our dog running at least every other day, many times days in a row, and really need to get 4-5 miles minimum in him free running for him to be calm. It's just how it is. The dog can really rip though and he can handle 50 mile weekends per his GPS collar. The other thing with that is there's not many tougher dogs out there than a GSP...our dog's pads are amazing and honestly he wore his nails down to bleeding while having no wear on his pads in chukar country, which says a lot about his feet toughness, and he definitely didn't stop wanting to keep hunting.

Personally, I think it really matters how long and proven a breeding program is because there are a number of flashy social media Shorthair breeding programs out there these days, but the flash doesn't mean good breeding programs nor does 4-5 yrs doing it equate to a developed line.

I'll be honest - I read your post and skipped straight down here without reading all the responses.

I wanted a dog that would hunt Waterfowl, Upland Birds, possibly Blood Trail and Possibly Shed Hunt. My wife wanted a good family Dog for our 5 kids and that wouldn't be a bull headed prick to train and have to constantly remind who was in charge.
We had decided on a Griffon (great choice and I see you already had your eye on them) but we ended up going with a Pudelpointer. NO - they are not a Blank Poodle Cross. They are an old breed that isn't well known in America - but we LOVE our girl.
Her prey drive is off the chart and she will run until she drops. On top of that her off switch is a real thing - most evenings she will curl up in my lap or lay on the floor next me. We are in love with her scruffy face and her wire hair. We will definitely get another when she is a few years older.
So far I have had her fecth ducks in 10 degrees in the water and run for 1-1.5 hours in the snow at -17* looking for Grouse or rabbits.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
When I first got my GSP's and we were out hunting one of the guys would say, where is, inset name of dog here. I would just point to the hills, and say up there somewhere. Some were easy to get to work closer, others not so much. But they were all great dogs, and I still love them all, and miss them every day. :(

I mean absolutely no offense, but when someone says "hypoallergenic," I translate that to "no actual interest in killing birds."

johnnycake

Lil-Rokslider
I mean absolutely no offense, but when someone says "hypoallergenic," I translate that to "no actual interest in killing birds."
Tell me you don't have much actual experience with pudelpointers without saying you don't have much experience with pudelpointers.

Pet allergies are a thing. Some people actually care about the physical comfort and well being of their affected family members, and shockingly, that has zero relationship to an "actual interest in killing birds". What a time to be alive!

20230114_122334.jpg

If pudelpointers were at all competitive in wild bird trials, I'd have experience with them. :)

Plenty of neighborhood experience, there's one that pisses on my ash tree twice day. Another one two houses down is so manic it can't be outside without a lead (despite the family paying a small fortune on 1:1 training sessions).

You only mention quail and grouse. If that’s all I was hunting I’d be leaning toward a breed that specializes in pointing. There are several versatile breeds that will also work for what you want but that’s like buying a leatherman when all you need is a knife. I’ve talked to several versatile breeders that wouldn’t even sell you a pup if they knew that’s all you would use them for.

Whatever breed you pick, spend 10X the time researching breeders for the specific breed as you do researching which breed you want.

Zak406

Lil-Rokslider
Cool story.

Enjoy playing your games for people points with dogs. I'll just be busy hunting wild birds with my pudelpointers, but yet somehow not really caring about killing birds.
View attachment 642246
That is one bad ass looking dog. What breeder did you get him or her from?

How is the on off switch?

How easy to train?

How easy is it to have the breeder select a smoother coat?

As I said earlier I have short hairs now but I've considered getting a pp for my next dog. My only hang up is the extremely wiery coat?

Mtaylor

Lil-Rokslider
How can I know what a litter’s genetics are like. I’m very ignorant on it about this.

Are there specific questions I should ask the breeders?
Each breed has variations of personalities and temperaments and bird drive. I hunt with the parents or go hunt with the breeder if I can. Also be realistic with yourself, how much will you really hunt it? 9 months of the year it will be a family dog, most of us don’t need Ferraris, Toyota Corolla work just fine.

Talk to the breeders about the dogs range, temperament, and ask if they could change 1 thing what it would be or how they are trying to improve their lines? If they say their dogs are perfect RUN!! Nobody’s dogs are. The hood breeders don’t have their heads in the clouds.