Thoughts on 60mm spotters?

209hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Hey guys,
I'm in the process of going through the gear I used last season and figuring out where I want to upgrade and what I want to add. Over the last 2 seasons Ive learned that I dont like the 50mm spotters, great to carry but my 10x50 binos on the tripod where more effective at spotting game especially in low light. I also learned that I dont really need a spotter, but that could be the result of not liking the 50mm. With the idea of saving weight but adding the benefit of a bigger spotter I was thinking about picking up a 60mm. I've looked at the Nikon Prostaff 5 16-48x60 and the Kowa TSN601 so far. Both of these scopes are considerably lighter (IMO) than most 65mm scopes Ive looked at. Plus they're both pretty affordable.

So, does extra 10mm and minimal weight gain over the 50mm scopes make any sense to you guys? Or does the extra 5mm and fairly considerable weight gain with the 65mm scopes make buying a 60mm a dumb idea? What do you guys think? Lastly, does anyone have any field experience with either of the two scopes I mentioned above?

Thanks and I appreciate any and all ideas!

Last edited:

boom

WKR
I just did a trip with a Leica Televid 62 and I'm blown away. Clarity aside, just the ease of stuffing the scope in/out of my pack sleeve was a pleasure. It was lighter as well. For me I think it's a great size for wide open hunting where you are hiking a lot.

jm1607

WKR
I just did a trip with a Leica Televid 62 and I'm blown away. Clarity aside, just the ease of stuffing the scope in/out of my pack sleeve was a pleasure. It was lighter as well. For me I think it's a great size for wide open hunting where you are hiking a lot.

How much does that weigh with the eyepiece?

Broomd

WKR
Leica's 62mm APO televid is the finest mountain scope ever made...It's APO glass is = to Swarovski's HD in every way, I know I have a couple of both and compare them all of the time.
It's almost 1/2 pound(!) lighter than the ATS 65mm, and several ounces lighter than the discontinued ATM 65mm. This is compared with both scopes paired with zoom eyepieces,
When the Leica is paired with its stellar 26X wide angle lens it knocks off another 3 ounces over the Swaro!

Simply awesome high country glass; hardcore minimalist sheep and goat hunters have known this for years.
Shown with zoom lenses on each...
DSCN5465.jpg

DSCN6008.jpg

DSCN6038.jpg

jm1607

WKR
Bad ass, thanks guys.. I think I'm going to get a used one over the razor 65mm

Do you think it needs the zoom lens or is the 26x wide angle fine? I've only ever used zoom lenses...

jm1607

WKR
I just picked up an angled 62 APO this morning and I'm pumped.. Going to put my straight 77 in the classifieds in a little bit (great scope, I'm just more of an angled guy)

Last edited:

jm1607

WKR
Sweet. Used?

The 62 I got was NIB old stock with a lightly used zoom eyepiece. My 77 is lightly used but the B 20x WW fixed eyepiece is NIB

We have completely derailed this thread :D

Last edited:

boom

WKR
Had two hunters that needed the service department at Leica and I have used the service department at Swarovski.
Swarovski came out way ahead.

Thanks. Hope I never need Leica to step up. But in all honesty, I've never met a person to use it. Just what I read. I'm all Leica at this point.

They fixed a camera for me before with no issues.

Broomd

WKR
If there has been a knock on Leica over the years it is their service department.
Over the years I've needed service from them three times, and I've owned about 50 different Leica items. That's not an exaggeration.
I'm an admitted optics freak. And I've had zero problems with Leica service nor have I ever paid one dime for anything never needed.
That said, some guys have had to pay for things, and haven't had such perfect dealings.
Doug at Cameraland met with Leica at Shot Show last week and was told by Leica that one of their huge priorities this year is SERVICE.

I have several scopes, Swaro HD, Leica APO, and have had them all, Zeiss diascope, Nikon EDG etc,,,,the angled Leica is THE GO TO for backpack hunting. Especially with a fixed eyepiece, either the 32x or 26x they rock and are feather-light compared to anything else. The zoom is nice, but adds weight, and frankly like most spotters, the 'sweet spot' is around 26-32 power anyway. In the past I never even utilized the 38-48 power anyway, too much mirage and distortion at those powers--unless one is birding at 20 feet. :)

Last edited:

Broomd

WKR
I just picked up an angled 62 APO this morning and I'm pumped.. Going to put my straight 77 in the classifieds in a little bit (great scope, I'm just more of an angled guy)

Congrats JM! Dunno what you paid, but with your choice of glass you done good. You will enjoy.

boom

WKR
If there has been a knock on Leica over the years it is their service department.
Over the years I've needed service from them three times, and I've owned about 50 different Leica items. That's not an exaggeration.
I'm an admitted optics freak. And I've had zero problems with Leica service nor have I ever paid one dime for anything never needed.
That said, some guys have had to pay for things, and haven't had such perfect dealings.
Doug at Cameraland met with Leica at Shot Show last week and was told by Leica that one of their huge priorities this year is SERVICE.

I have several scopes, Swaro HD, Leica APO, and have had them all, Zeiss diascope, Nikon EDG etc,,,,the angled Leica is THE GO TO for backpack hunting. Especially with a fixed eyepiece, either the 32x or 26x they rock and are feather-light compared to anything else. The zoom is nice, but adds weight, and frankly like most spotters, the 'sweet spot' is around 26-32 power anyway. In the past I never even utilized the 38-48 power anyway, too much mirage and distortion at those powers--unless one is birding at 20 feet. :)

Thanks for typing this out. I was told to register my gear w Leica and there will be zero issues.

elkguide

WKR
My experiences with Leica repairs, combined with friends has been as said, hit and miss. One time no problems and quick response. Next time slow response and second return needed. Really great products, no issues there. When using the Swarovski repairs, unbelievable quick turn around and quality fixes. (Each and every time, MY fault)
If I had to buy new optics today I would look at Leica, Swarovski and Schmidt & Bender. S&B has amazing glass in their scopes but their warranty isn't as good as the others.

So between Swarovski and Leica................. which one is on sale!

oenanthe

WKR
Would you happen to know if there's an easy way to tell the APO version from the non-APO?

Also, I have an old Nikon 60mm spotter that weighs only 2 lb. 4 oz. But that's after I cut all the rubber armor off of it (10 oz!) :D

jm1607

WKR
Would you happen to know if there's an easy way to tell the APO version from the non-APO?

Also, I have an old Nikon 60mm spotter that weighs only 2 lb. 4 oz. But that's after I cut all the rubber armor off of it (10 oz!) :D

I believe it says APO along the top (or at least somewhere on it)